Light reflections from dash

basegreen

Reaction score
One massive annoyance is the reflection of the headlight selection knob in the side mirror - I've turned the illumination to the minimum, but it still really impacts visibility.

Is there anything more I can do?

Best picture I could get

Attachments

• IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    811.6 KB · Views: 262
How silly of Audi to make a mirror from reflective glass, seriously though I have not seen that in my car. If it bothers you then surely just adjust the mirror...

If I adjust the mirror to get rid of it, it no longer is in the right position for looking behind the car on the road.

Must be something to do with the geometry of seat/height or something. I saw it mentioned in a couple of reviews as well. It effectively renders the mirror useless in the dark. Not so noticeable in street lit "dark".

Might have to resort to blu tak over the symbols for the time being.

I can see what you mean but it isn't very bright and it doesn't make the mirror useless in the dark at all. Not from where I am sitting anyway..

When actually driving you cannot use that side of the mirror at all. The photo doesn't do it justice. Maybe need to find a slightly different seat / rakr position.

With this sort of stuff I usually find people aren't driving in actually dark places much. Only an issue when pitch black (most of where I live)

My village has no street lamps, neither does the road where I live, what so ever, so I reckon its dark enough. My A3's mirrors were positioned in the same place and the mirror was perfectly usuable in the dark as well..

I could be wrong but that looks more like it's reflecting in your side window than the actual mirror... You can see the dials and that just continues down to the light switch, all in the window reflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep - should have been clearer, it's the reflection from the side window just at the point where the rear view mirror is.

I have the acoustic glass option, maybe that makes a difference.

Interesting. I'll check mine tonight, I hope I don't see it as it will bug me haha.

Out of interest, how tall are you / whats your seating position like?

Yep - should have been clearer, it's the reflection from the side window just at the point where the rear view mirror is.

I have the acoustic glass option, maybe that makes a difference.

Gotcha, that makes more sense. I was trying to figure out the angles in my head and couldn't understand how it was working! Haha.

This isn't something I had in my B8.5 but I'm also 6' so would have the seat in a completely different position regardless. Can't say I noticed it on my night test drive this time last year though and did about 100 miles in the pitch black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have the accoustic front windows, drove home in the dark today and sure there is a slight reflection but like any light inside and with windows made of glass you get reflections. To say it makes the mirror unusable though is the most absurd statement I have probably even heard. By that analogy any car coming up behind with the headlamps on makes all the mirrors unusable....

It literally overpowers the reflection of cars behind.

I've tried all sorts of positions and it's still really visible.

I'll dig out the review that specifically mentions how bad it is.

Had a look for this on my drive home this evening. I've never noticed it before, but sure enough it's there now you point it out.

Not an issue at all for me though as it's in the very corner of the mirror, not particularly bright and not obstructing the view of any car behind.

What happens if you turn down the dash lighting, that make it any better? Can't say I've noticed, what with street lights, Other cars and even the ambient lighting and I'm nearly at 13500 miles in now

Or just cover the lights if it bothers him so much, every car I have driven has reflections inside day or night..

This one is right where you need a bit of clear view though. Must be to do with the geometry of me/driving position. It's hardly a problem you'd make up as a lie, is it?

I'll find a way of covering up the three backlit indicators for the time being.

Not saying it is a lie, but, as no-one else finds it a issue I think what's happened is that you've read one review gone and looked for it on your car and then it is easy for it to become a fixation. I found that the reflection of the top of the fixed MMI centre screen quite apparent in the windscreen next to the rear view mirror at first, however I chose to ignore it and now I just don't see it at all. All cars have there 'foibles' but once you get used to them they tend to disappear.

Last edited:
I'm definitely not fixated on it whatsoever. Clearly other people arent getting the same issue so it's one of geometry and driving position presumably.

@cuke2u your being a bit on the offensive here mate. He's clearly only asked if it bothers anyone else / is there another solution. A few people have mentioned they get the same result (it bothers some and not others) and if there is anything else. Its not something that affects or bothers you, that all that needs to be said on the matter.

@basegreen I'm 6'0. and I moved the seat as far forward as I could bare to drive around my work car park and true enough I could see the reflection. I did have to put the seat down abit as well as I normally sit pretty high as well. So yeah could try changing your seating position abit. or get some tape to dim it. Neither a great solution. Hope you get it sorted.

Reactions: DarGri and Kestrel
@cuke2u your being a bit on the offensive here mate. He's clearly only asked if it bothers anyone else / is there another solution. A few people have mentioned they get the same result (it bothers some and not others) and if there is anything else. Its not something that affects or bothers you, that all that needs to be said on the matter.

@basegreen I'm 6'0. and I moved the seat as far forward as I could bare to drive around my work car park and true enough I could see the reflection. I did have to put the seat down abit as well as I normally sit pretty high as well. So yeah could try changing your seating position abit. or get some tape to dim it. Neither a great solution. Hope you get it sorted.

Now, that's genuinely useful info. I'll try pulling the rake of the steering wheel out, and sitting further back, which should result in a change of mirror angle, and viewing position.

Reactions: PhxViper
If you look back you'll see I said you can see it, but to suggest it makes the mirror unusable is against what everyone here is saying. Plus I already gave suggestions. Its a forum where everyone can give opinions, its not like I have been rude. However I apologise if I have come over as offensive, that's certainly isn't my intention but you must agree that if this was a major safety issue then owners in forums and reviewers would be all over it like rash...

Last edited:
Reactions: PhxViper
If you look back you'll see I said you can see it, but to suggest it makes the mirror unusable is against what everyone here is saying. Plus I already gave suggestions. Its a forum where everyone can give opinions, its not like I have been rude. However I apologise if I have come over as offensive, that's certainly isn't my intention but you must agree that if this was a major safety issue then owners in forums and reviewers would be all over it like rash...

Its fine bud from my point of view, it just seemed the thread that turned to doubting if this was an issue rather than providing help to our fellow A4 drivers. Apologies if I've jumped to conclusions.

"you must agree that if this was a major safety issue then owners in forums and reviewers would be all over it like rash..." definitely agree to that, but gladly its not the case here and we can just offer advise if needed.

After all, we are all here just because of our love for our cars.

Now, that's genuinely useful info. I'll try pulling the rake of the steering wheel out, and sitting further back, which should result in a change of mirror angle, and viewing position.

Let us know if it works out for ya bud. :relaxed:

Tried everything and still the reflection is in the way.

Wondering now if it's just to do with the acoustic glass being slightly different.

Am going to cover up the light indicators other than auto and just forget about it for now.

Tried everything and still the reflection is in the way.

Wondering now if it's just to do with the acoustic glass being slightly different.

Am going to cover up the light indicators other than auto and just forget about it for now.
As i previously replied to this thread ,i forgot to say i also have acoustic glass and dont recall seeing anything ( reflection wise) at night.Certainly nothing worth mentioning.
Perhaps this has become a bit of a fixation for you?? To the expense of a fabulously well engineered car......

How is it a fixation? On my car, as I drive it, the reflection makes it hard to see behind the car in the side mirror at night. I'm wondering how others aren't having the same that's all. I haven't spoken to Audi, the dealer etc. Just thought I'd ask.

I find obsessive mpg discussion tedious, but wouldn't have a go at people for wanting to save 0.5p a mile ;)

Reactions: Kestrel
I wish I hadn't read this thread as I have noticed this on my car now! That said as I drove over 100 miles last night and the reflection wasn't always there.

I'm travelling reasonable distances every night this week so I will try and observe when it appears and when it doesn't. It may be simply that I see it when I am looking for it or it may be dependent on the street (motorway) lights ... I will look to comment again at the end of the week

It's noticeable if you deliberately look for it but otherwise I'd have never known it was there until I saw this thread

Under most conditions its not an issue, it's only when on a DC in pitch darkness that the outside ambient light makes it a problem.

Nothing a bit of black electrical tape can't fix for a few months of dark nights.

Under most conditions its not an issue, it's only when on a DC in pitch darkness that the outside ambient light makes it a problem.

Nothing a bit of black electrical tape can't fix for a few months of dark nights.
`DC`?

I drove mine in the dark tonight for the first time since this issue was raised. Sure enough, the reflection is there, but in my case it's in the bottom right hand corner of the mirror (where the mirror comes to a point) so it doesn't affect my view of other vehicles.

Its impossible for a lighted interior not to reflect in a window glass ,however if you constantly peer into the glass looking for reflections ,your sure to find them.choose to ignore them and they do seem to fade away.................
By the way,im not that concerned on mpg figures only adding my findings for comparison to whoever my find it helpful.
I currently have my car booked in for a winter wheel/tyre change ..apparently were in for a hard winter.

Reactions: cuke2u
Only if you believe the rubbish written in some tomorrows fish and chip wrappers...

When I first saw this thread, I thought - where the hell are they sitting? Must be right up against the wheel. They are mad!

But then last night on the drive home, I saw the dial in my wing mirror exactly as you described! I hadn't noticed before.

BUT NOW I CAN'T UNSEE IT

Reactions: PhxViper and basegreen