Light faults

TheJuanAndOnly

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just jumped into the car after a Lidl shop and the HUD is telling me that my right rear brake, right rear indicator and right rear reverse lights have all gone, simultaneously. Obviously, replacing them is no bother, but I find the fact they all went at once a little suspicious. I have a feeling there is possibly a fault in the wiring going the boot's hinge.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so are there any good places to look first etc

Thanks in advance!

Check your rear washer isn't leaking. My lights went on the blink and that was the cause.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheJuanAndOnly
Yes had this just yesterday also on RHS light and fixed with a squirt of contact cleaner to the plug connector that plugs into the light unit. The connector to the rear light unit corrodes, resulting in bad earth hence all three bulbs appearing to go at once. A squirt of WD40 may do the trick or better still some electrical component / contact cleaner.

The rear light clusters don't seem particularly well protected against water (although car's are getting on now) and the earth connector pins on the bulb holder also seem prone to corrosion. If it gets beyond repair, a new bulb holder plate can be got, no need to replace the entire light unit, and new plug connector can also be got which can be soldered on to the appropriate wires if that makes sense.

Reactions: TheJuanAndOnly and Charlie Farley
Yeah it looks like it was a leak! The ground wire/terminal was completely corroded. Bought a new bulb holder , plug and terminal pins. Crimped for now, but looks messy, will go back sometime in the spring and solder properly. Cause of the leak looked like deteriorated rubber lining around the boot, so sealed it up. Should be okay for a while!

Cheers for all the help guys.