Life at 16 mpg!

I saw 28 a few times and even got the missus to take some pictures of the DIS on her mobile. I'll post them up once we've got them off her phone. :)

I use to struggle to get that with my old 2.8 v6! I wonder if its the tyres on mine that are causing me to get such a bad mpg?

Since I last filled up I have done about 150 miles and the range is saying 140 left so thats an improvement at least

I use to struggle to get that with my old 2.8 v6!
I averaged 30 in my old Mk4 R32 so I think I just have a light right foot.

dsmclark said:
I wonder if its the tyres on mine that are causing me to get such a bad mpg?
Don't know mate. Mine's on F1 Asymmetrics which only have about 5k miles on them.

Also, which petrol do you use? It's probably to do with the remap but my MPG consistently drops by 3 or 4 if I use 95 instead of 97/98 RON.

dsmclark30v said:
Since I last filled up I have done about 150 miles and the range is saying 140 left so thats an improvement at least
That sounds much more normal. :yes:

OT but I had a good play with a 54 plate M3 on the way home yesterday. Clear outside lane of the motorway and I managed to reel him in no matter how hard he tried to get away. :s4addict:

I only use V-power 99. I'm going to get some F1 asymmetrics I think as I am not happy with the tyres that are on there at the moment. And also once I get the under trays on that alone should shave a few seconds off my lap time!

Didn't the S4 beat the e46 M3 on the top gear test track? I haven't had a chance to play with anyone yet! I see that as a blessing though as you can suddenly be covering ground very quickly! sounds like you had fun though and showed him who's boss! :salute:

Didn't the S4 beat the e46 M3 on the top gear test track? I haven't had a chance to play with anyone yet! I see that as a blessing though as you can suddenly be covering ground very quickly! sounds like you had fun though and showed him who's boss! :salute:
Not sure, didn't see that episode. I know that the E46 M3 has an almost identical power output to a stock B6 S4 so if this one was unmodded then it makes sense that I was able to gain on him so easily; he'd have less power and a lot less torque than me.

After I lifted off (I was getting a bit close to his bumper) he carried on accelerating up to silly speeds so I let him go.

Last edited:
[ytv]bYF0Zmtf8b8[/ytv]

Here you go bill! the reason why the silver one does the lap is because the red one had timing chain problems (well apparently wrote off the engine!)

Also do you run your a/c all the time? as I never switch mine off and switched it all off tonight and the range went from 45 miles to 60

Here you go bill! the reason why the silver one does the lap is because the red one had timing chain problems (well apparently wrote off the engine!)
Thanks. :) Cursed timing chain. You've got me worrying about mine now! :laugh:

dsmclark30v said:
Also do you run your a/c all the time? as I never switch mine off and switched it all off tonight and the range went from 45 miles to 60
No I hardly ever use the climate control. Not for reasons of economy but because driving with it switched on for any length of time gives me a sore throat. We used it a fair bit when we went to France recently as the car was parked outside where we stayed and it was like an oven after being sat in the sun all day. It made a marginal difference to the economy but no more than a couple of MPG over about 100 miles.

Fair play to you getting nearly 26mpg Bill, I think thats about the highest I've ever read about for an S4!