Lets talk Hybrid K04 turbos. S3 BT owners advice needed.

Doogie...

Reaction score
Right,

Some of you may know, i'm about to upgrade my K04 to a Turbo Engineers TTE-420 Hybrid turbo.

I'm on stage 2 + and looking for some solid advice or even new advice to challenge what i've already found out.

It seems to me that a lot of people have different views on what is required and what isn't required in respect to the above upgrade.

I've done a lot of researching and asking around about who could do the best job tuning wise. I have contacted most of the well-known tuners and every single one of them says something different about what may be needed for the Turbo to reach maximum potential.

I've been told that an RS3 Forge intercooler is best for the job as all other S3 upgraded intercoolers drop the pressure on high boost and strangle the peak power figures,

I've been told that the backbox can be a restriction

I've been told LPFP are needed.

I've been told RS4 injectors are needed.

BUT,

I've also been told none of these are requirements from others and that so long as I have all the stage2 + hardware the turbo can work efficiently to achieve the same power as everyone else expects to achieve with or without the said supporting mods.

As you can imagine, Its starting to get a bit confusing. Everyone seems to have done the mod or very similar mods and all achieved similar if not identical power figures. They are talking out of experience I trust but what I can't get my head around is what exactly do I need and for what reason if others say I don't need it??

Can anyone give any opinions?? Anyone had experience with a similar or identical mod and if so what was your experiences??

I'm planning on getting WMI for the turbo aswell as upgrading the charge and dis-charge pipes in the not so distant future as i've been assured these WILL make a noticeable difference to the economics of the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Reactions: RedDejavu and Dan-Jnr
I'd go with Simon's advice on the injectors.

The RS4 fuel pressure regulator is worthwhile.

The LPFP is good to 440bhp.

You need a full turbo-back exhaust,and the backbox on a good aftermarket system is not an issue.

A big intercooler is a must,and WMI is worthwhile.

Reactions: Doogie...
i would say any s3 upgrade intercooler would do the job nicely, don't know why would rs3 cooler be better than the one designed for s3 engine.
friend of mine had mkvi gti with lo400 and he had only stage2+ hardware on his car (no lpfp, rs4 injectors, no wmi) and it was working great, and made 393 on revo stage 2+ software, and he was waiting for the better cooler to fine tune the map, and for dsg remap. but he ended up selling the car, but that thing was rapid. there's a video of it against c63 amg guess the result..
i would say that for that kind of power, there's no need for lpfp and rs4 injectors.
as alex said rs4 fuel pressure regulator and stage2+ and better intercooler and you should be flying :D

Reactions: Doogie...
I've already got an Airtec stage 2 FMIC and an RS4 Fuel return Valve (am I right in thinking this is the same thing as the pressure regulator or have I got confused somewhere along the line?) So i'm good to go as is.

I'm going to upgrade the turbo outlet and throttle inlet pipes and get WMI for it and hopefully see some nice figures.

RS4 injectors can come at a later stage if need be but as is, the guys doing the mapping have had negative experiences with them on an identical set-up so i'm going to go with what they have recommended.

Thanks for the advice guys.

how good is airtec stage 2 cooler? i'm thinking of switching to single cooler so considering few options now..

I regards to the Intercooler, it really depends on what stage your tune is at. I got it at stage 2 + and was warned it wouldnt make a massive difference in power but would instead see consistent power in adverse weather conditions. The main reason I got it was, as i've mentioned, i planned on going Hybrid turbo and needed it as a supporting mod.

But honestly. Even with the stage 2 + tune i genuinely did feel a notcieable increase in mid range torque on my car. It definetely made a difference. Its a nice piece of kit and well priced I think too.

Right,

I've been told that an RS3 Forge intercooler is best for the job as all other S3 upgraded intercoolers drop the pressure on high boost and strangle the peak power figures,

I've been told that the backbox can be a restriction

I've been told LPFP are needed.

I've been told RS4 injectors are needed.

BUT,

I've also been told none of these are requirements from others and that so long as I have all the stage2 + hardware the turbo can work efficiently to achieve the same power as everyone else expects to achieve with or without the said supporting mods.

As you can imagine, Its starting to get a bit confusing. Everyone seems to have done the mod or very similar mods and all achieved similar if not identical power figures. They are talking out of experience I trust but what I can't get my head around is what exactly do I need and for what reason if others say I don't need it??

Can anyone give any opinions?? Anyone had experience with a similar or identical mod and if so what was your experiences??

I'm planning on getting WMI for the turbo aswell as upgrading the charge and dis-charge pipes in the not so distant future as i've been assured these WILL make a noticeable difference to the economics of the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

The Forge RS3 intercooler is interesting. So your source was implying that it'd fit 8P S3? What about the stock cooler, do they offer a delete kit to remove it, or does it work like the forge twincooler ? As I understand RS3 and TTRS have a true FMIC from the factory unlike S3 which is behind the AC condensor.

As for supporting mods for TTE420. The standard stage 2+ hardware (FMIC, 3inch turbo back exhaust, HPFP, RS4 valve and an intake) should be sufficient enough to take advantage of the hiflow turbo.

But as S3Alex mentioned, WMI is highly recommended. And LPFP should be considered as well, as you'll be approaching limits of the stock pump.

RS4 injectors are not necessary for this turbo and should be avoided even if you have a GTX.