Let us charge you, and then charge you again, and again and again!

sliced

Drive safe, stay alive.
Reaction score
Emissions tax is more than you think, especially for residents of London borough of Islington who have just been hit with a diesel surcharge. Take a 2006 5 door family hatch Audi A3 2.0 TDi Quattro as an example

-Road Tax (VED - Group H) - £205
- Congestion charge with 90% Discount - £299.80
- Parking Permit, priced according to emissions, £136
- Now a diesel Surcharge if you own a diesel £96

This brings the total grand total to £736.80 to be paid due to emissions

You get charged for emissions, 4 times over! Lets break this down into components.

Vehicle Exercise duty is calculated based on carbon emissions and choice of fuel. Alternatives pay less than half the amount of oil burners for the same amount of pollution. Low to no emission cars pay £0 whilst the biggest polluters will pay £505. The A3 I mentioned has C02 Emissions of 173g/km so its placed in VED tax bracket of H, and thus has to pay £205 for the year.

Next is the congestion charge, living in Islington, if you so much as want to move your car an inch you'll have to pay the congestion charge.. Congestion charge is based on emissions, and fuel, so you'll be exempt from paying if you have an electric propelled car with emissions below 75g/km otherwise its £11.50 daily. Luckily for residents, they have given a discount of 90%. The congestion charge you pay upfront for the year will be £289.90 due to the discount. But you have to pay £10 for the privilege to register for the discount. This makes the CC payment related to emissions to be £299.80 for the A3.

Next up, in Islington, if you want to park in the bay outside yours, you'll need a parking permit. The Cost of the parking permit is based the VED tax bracket your car is / the emissions it emits. Residents will pay £0 for having a band A vehicle whilst the highest band M costs residents £434 for the privilege. the A3 mentioned previously is in band H and pays £136 for the year.

Now Islington council has taken it even further, stating that if you own a diesel, you'll be "surcharged" £96 for the privilege which is added to the parking permit. Having a TDi which governments heavily encouraged are now being charged a surcharge. You get penalised yet again for emissions, and have to pay £96.

So the Charges for emissions in this case is as follows, Charged VED based on emissions, Congestion Charge based on emissions, parking permits based on emission bands, and the final emissions charge to be slapped on is, if you have a diesel.

Wonder what other charges the government and councils will come up with next for emissions.

Emissions are nothing more than a money-maker and have created a whole new industry-economy. I've studied climate change at university in great depth and media/government information is completely different to scientific fact (i.e. the world is not going to s***) Even so, I was in Thailand, Vietnam (i.e. countries with little if any emissions regulation) and I can guarantee one of those buses over there spews out more c*** in a day than my car does in a year. And I'm pretty sure their emissions also end up in the same 'air'...what I'm trying to say, whether I drive a 1.8T or a 4.0 litre makes no difference whatsoever on the grand scale of things...and before someone says 'what if everyone does that?'...everyone doesn't do that!

Ask your council how they intend to spend the extra £96 because you have a diesel...will they plant a tree or adopt a polar bear? No, they'll probably install a new speed camera and steal even more money from you.

Emissions are nothing more than a money-maker and have created a whole new industry-economy. I've studied climate change at university in great depth and media/government information is completely different to scientific fact (i.e. the world is not going to s***) Even so, I was in Thailand, Vietnam (i.e. countries with little if any emissions regulation) and I can guarantee one of those buses over there spews out more c*** in a day than my car does in a year. And I'm pretty sure their emissions also end up in the same 'air'...what I'm trying to say, whether I drive a 1.8T or a 4.0 litre makes no difference whatsoever on the grand scale of things...and before someone says 'what if everyone does that?'...everyone doesn't do that!

Ask your council how they intend to spend the extra £96 because you have a diesel...will they plant a tree or adopt a polar bear? No, they'll probably install a new speed camera and steal even more money from you.

haha lucky its not my council, felt sorry for my bud who does live there