Leshkin's Sepang Blue S3 Money Pit Project

Cant remember which one Andy said, I'll have to ask him again. He did comment that my car has a bit more vibration than they normally see, but that might be down to the current engine mounts being a bit more worn.

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)
If you can mate would be appreciated, apparently some of the compounds don't agree with the dsg box

I have just changed the dog bone mount on mine and feel the same, I get a little vibration when standing still but the cars much better when driving.

Mine was the yellow insert which I think is for fast road use

Reactions: leshkin
Great update, glad it's all up and running again. Be really interested In your thoughts on the tte once mapped in, should be epic.

Car feels great at the moment. The trip up to AITP was nice, although I'm struggling to stay below 4k rpm. So tempting to go for it. 300 miles done already though, so getting there

Reactions: NL316
Great update Leshkin! Looking forward to seeing this at a London/SE meet if it gets organised.

Car feels great at the moment. The trip up to AITP was nice, although I'm struggling to stay below 4k rpm. So tempting to go for it. 300 miles done already though, so getting there

Patience, my friend. Think about the money you put in....that's right engage eco-mode. :)

Glad to hear that your car is back up and running again bud, I especially like how you've turned a negative situation into a positive by going down the TTE420 route! :sunglasses:

Once the engine has been run in and you get the custom remap done, I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on Storm Devs remaps as I've heard nothing but positive reviews across a lot of their work but I haven't seen any feedback on their custom maps yet.

When I go stage 2+, I want to get a custom remap from them rather than continuing down the Revo path.

On the subject of Storm,Andy is a great guy and I have nothing but praise for what they've done for me.

They've built on the work already done by AMDTuning and given me a reliable 550bhp everyday driver.

Installed a full set of blue Forge silicone pipes using forge clip kit: DV to Intake Return hose, lower coolant hoses, silicone coolant hoses

Hi mate, it's been good chatting to you recently.

I know that you had a lot of work done at the same time when having the above hoses fitted but have you got any comments/recommendations on them?

They do look good, however I don't have the budget to be buying parts for appearance for quite some time unfortunately and so wondered if there was any other benefit to them. I know that warren S5 recommends the Forge silicone throttle body hose as it improves throttle response a little when the engine is hot.

Same here mate :friends:

As far as forge pipes, then the only reason I see for them (other than to look good) is to improve reliability as they are fresher and will be less likely to split than the originals. I couldn't comment on the performance aspect to be honest, as the car has not been driven hard for some time (hoping to fix that soon once the map is updated :) ).

I would say that the turbo silencer discharge delete that came with the TTE unit seems to have had an impact, but with all the other mods that were added at the same time, I couldn't really quantify it as the larger AirTec intercooler is probably playing a part in this.

Cool that's fair enough, thanks for commenting. I'll just get the Forge silicon throttle body hose for now then and get the other bits later on.

Not much longer until you hit the 1K mark now! :racer:

Same here mate :friends:

As far as forge pipes, then the only reason I see for them (other than to look good) is to improve reliability as they are fresher and will be less likely to split than the originals. I couldn't comment on the performance aspect to be honest, as the car has not been driven hard for some time (hoping to fix that soon once the map is updated :) ).

I would say that the turbo silencer discharge delete that came with the TTE unit seems to have had an impact, but with all the other mods that were added at the same time, I couldn't really quantify it as the larger AirTec intercooler is probably playing a part in this.

What sort of impact has said silencer made?

What sort of impact has said silencer made?

Can't say unfortunately, as the TTE and FMIC went in at the same time and they are probably having a bigger impact overall than just the muffler delete... Plus I have to p***yfoot around below 4k rpm until new oil and filter go in, together with a custom dyno/mapping session, hopefully before end of this or some time next week.

I have noticed a slight increase in turbo noise while at motorway speeds or when it's spooling-up. Logically thinking baout this though, it should have an impact as its a significant restriction to charged air flow, so probably worth it on higher stages.

Reactions: smurfworth and S3Alex
Give it time.

You'll love the results

I didn't realise that APR do a K04 TMD for £157:
http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/turbo_muffler_delete_ea888_g3_ihi.html

My plan is to only go stage 2+ of which I know that a TMD on the K04 isn't going to make a great deal of difference, but their website does state that there is an improved boost response as a result. I'll enjoy the extra noise it'll make alone as I already love the sound of my Revo CAI and have a De-Cat BCS Powervalve TBE in mind!

I think it's possible to modify your existing pipe by removing the baffles. Some people had success and saved quite a bit of money in the process.

Reactions: HHS3
That's handy to know!

I forgot to thank you in my previous post for adding another item to my long list of mods to do, so an even bigger thanks for saving me money on this!

Thinking about it more though, I'd spend the extra and get a proper bit of kit to avoid any issues in the future. CTS and Forge offer solutions to this also, so consider them when you come to look at this.

I've just been doing some more research online and seeing as I'm there, I may as well go with a tried and tested part as you say, I couldn't find very much information on just removing the OEM muffler either.

I like the Forge kit as it's £20 cheaper than the APR one and comes with piping as well, so I will get this along with the throttle pipe.

The CTS kit looks pretty decent too and comes with more shiny bits, although it does cost more.

I saw one guy doing a DIY muffler delete on VWVortex, but that involved blocking the muffler holes with some sort of putty and while it looked OK, I would not be comfortable with that solution as it adds the potential for bits to break off and fly straight into the IC or intake manifold... That can't be good :)

I didn't realise that APR do a K04 TMD for £157:
http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/turbo_muffler_delete_ea888_g3_ihi.html

My plan is to only go stage 2+ of which I know that a TMD on the K04 isn't going to make a great deal of difference, but their website does state that there is an improved boost response as a result. I'll enjoy the extra noise it'll make alone as I already love the sound of my Revo CAI and have a De-Cat BCS Powervalve TBE in mind!

That thing appears to be aimed at the IHI turbo.....

"APR is pleased to present the high flow, Turbo Muffler Delete for various 1.8T and 2.0T engines featuring an IHI turbo."

The CTS kit looks pretty decent too and comes with more shiny bits, although it does cost more.

I saw one guy doing a DIY muffler delete on VWVortex, but that involved blocking the muffler holes with some sort of putty and while it looked OK, I would not be comfortable with that solution as it adds the potential for bits to break off and fly straight into the IC or intake manifold... That can't be good :)

That is such a bad solution......!

Wow why some people have complete disregard for their cars, especially when it is a nice motor, is completely beyond me! The only delete's I like doing is where you're removing an object such as the RFD/pre-cat delete or replacing the part like with the Forge PCV Plate, not bodge jobs!

That thing appears to be aimed at the IHI turbo.....

"APR is pleased to present the high flow, Turbo Muffler Delete for various 1.8T and 2.0T engines featuring an IHI turbo."

I did see the IHI part and wondered if it was relevant for me, I've decided to go with the Forge kit now anyway, thanks for the heads up though!

Reactions: S3Alex and leshkin
Wow why some people have complete disregard for their cars, especially when it is a nice motor, is completely beyond me! The only delete's I like doing is where you're removing an object such as the RFD/pre-cat delete or replacing the part like with the Forge PCV Plate, not bodge jobs!

I did see the IHI part and wondered if it was relevant for me, I've decided to go with the Forge kit now anyway, thanks for the heads up though!
Which one is it by forge as I can see a few depending on the engine ?

Did a quick update of the rear wiper arm to a 8V version which was a direct fit, after seeing a few others do it. My original arm was loose and the wiper was flopping about too much... This sorted that out and I think it looks a bit better like that. Took all of 5 minutes to do.

6116848c9bab99f0bdf15cddd283a5b1.jpg

3b8d964b406e36bafc0e88275ec1b9c8.jpg

Reactions: NL316, HHS3 and THQuattro
Hi mate how you doing it was good to chat about your car at AITP, how many miles before run in.

Hi mate how you doing it was good to chat about your car at AITP, how many miles before run in.

Same here, good to meet you too. The car is now just shy of 1200 miles since the new lump went in - feels great! I've got her booked in for an ECU mapping and dyno session at Storm for Wednesday, which will hopefully involve a DSG map as well as fresh Millers's finest oil and filter. Looking forward to getting that sorted, just in time for the trip to Germany.

Reactions: S3Alex and Sandra
Hi mate your cars going to be sweet after the Storm session and a trip to the Ring.

Did you get the wiper from Audi pal

Did you get the wiper from Audi pal

I got the wiper from @mjr901 via the parts request form and the parts you'll need are as follows:

Wiper Arm 8V39554071P9
Wiper Blade 8V3955425
Wiper arm cap/cover 4G9955205

It's a straight fit just un-clip the arm cover, take the jet washer off (you'll reuse that later), use a 13mm (IIRC) socket to unscrew the nut tha holds the arm and remove the original wiper. It may be a little tough to get off, but use a large flat screwdriver to pry it off gently and it'll pop off.

Clean the wiper motor shaft and install the new parts in reverse. Make sure to not forget to put the washer jet nozzle back before installing the cover. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do as long as things are not too rusty and looks/works very well.

If you want to get a new washer jet, then use this part number: 8V3 955 985

I got the idea from @mechanic69 build thread here: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-s3-build-thread.217531/page-15#post-2793805

Reactions: mister.c., mechanic69 and Moxy89
would say the new washer jet is essential as the old one doesn't line up with the holes in the new cap unless you put a washer under it. it needs a bit of push with a soft mallet as it doesn't push on as easily as the old one

Normal service is being slowly restored, so I thought I'd add an update on what has been done some far. Drove my baby home yesterday, so here is a summary of a day's worth of emotions and impressions...

I left her in the hands of Alex and Andy at Storm Developments just before leaving on holiday a couple of weeks ago and asked that we do a few extra bits while the engine is out, so here is a list of what has been done:

• Strip the old engine and install new unit as supplied by @mjr901
  • Replace every gasket, seal, stretch bolt and belt that needs to be replaced while the engine is out, includingnew crankshaft pilot bearing
  • Installed a full set of blue Forge silicone pipes using forge clip kit: DV to Intake Return hose, lower coolant hoses, silicone coolant hoses
  • AirTec Stage 2 intercooler, including hoses
  • Renew S-Tronic, Haldex, rear diff and front transfer oil and filters
  • Fit an uprated dogbone insert
  • Fit OEM R8 spark plugs
  • RS3 intank fuel pump
  • New TTE420 turbo unit :yum:
While the car was in bits, I also asked the guys to adjust the H&R ARBs to have them on soft front and hard rear in order to further reduce under-steer too. Big improvement and I think it's the only settings anyone should use with these ARBs.

As you can see, the amount of work was huge (the bill was eye-watering too), but the guys at Storm were brilliant throughout. Andy helped to put together a list of work that needed doing and offered solid advice, kept me away from getting overambitious with my modding and provided updates when I called in to checkup on how things were progressing, even while being mega busy with all the other work that was going-on. They fitted my job around a few other big pieces of work they had on and I just can't thank the team enough for pulling this off with minimal fuss and interruption to my schedule. Top guys who I will aim to use for all of my tuning work in the future.

As mentioned above, I was looking at all the work that was going to happen with the new engine and decided to go down a brand new TTE420 turbo unit (Andy helped me to get a good deal on it too, which was awesome!) My logic here was that the original turbo had already done 66k and if I was to keep the car for a few more years, then it made sense to replace it together with the engine. Given the price difference between a new OEM turbo and a TTE420 unit, minus the money I'd get by selling the old turbo, it made some sort of man-maths sense to upgrade now, even if it meant that the final bill would be bigger. While at it, the RS3 LPFP was also upgraded at the same time to support the new fueling needs.

So, what's it like now, I hear you ask :) Well, the new engine is gleaming and runs much nicer that the old unit. Gone are the funky mechanical noises, replaced by a very crisp clicking sound of the injectors. The engine is in it's running-in phase for the next 1k miles, so I can't take it above 4k rpm for now.
The current Stg2+ map is still on, but once I get the engine run-in, I'll make a trip down to Storm to get new engine oil and filter followed by a custom engine map and a DSG map to make proper use of the new hybrid kit. We'll see if the RS3 LPFP controller is required at that time and fit that on the day.
The exhaust note seems to have changed a little, and sounds a bit more raspy - I suspect this is down to the new turbo, but may also have something to do with the new AirTec FMIC too - I really like it! The induction noise has changed too - it's now less pronounced inside the car with windows up, but outside the intake is sounding more aggressive. I suspect that the new turbo is not being taxed in the same way that the OEM unit was and runs much quieter, hence the lower induction noise inside the car, plus the TTE came with the charge pipe baffles removed, so that must make a bit of a difference too.

I must admit, the new engine bay is looking more colorful and much cleaner :) I very much like this! I'm tempted to paint the TTS engine cover, but haven't decided on the color - I think blue will be overkill at this point :) Any ideas?

View attachment 99727
View attachment 99728
View attachment 99729
View attachment 99730

To my surprise, the biggest impact to normal driving so far has been the uprated dogmount insert! While there is quite a bit more vibration with the DSG is in D while stationary, or slowly pulling off (forward or reverse) the way the engine feels connected to the rest of the car makes for a more engaging driving experience. I didn't realize how positively it would impact the throttle response - there is now no hesitation between you pressing the throttle and car reacting to your input. Feels much more engaging now, but I suspect that the added vibration in the cabin may not be for everyone. Andy explained that with the stock/worn dogmount, engine will twist more on its mounts, which adds a bit of lag between you mashing the loud pedal and car reacting - it's milliseconds, but you do feel this. The harder dogmount insert stiffens this motion and reduces the amount of travel involved, so you get the drive from the engine a fraction of a second sooner, resulting in a better feel. Seeing as my car has turned more into a weekend toy/family trip mobile after I started a new job working from home, I do not expect this to bother me (in-fact, I kinda like it - #racecar :) ). Obviously, renewed oil in every orifice of the running gear may have also contributed to the improvements.

When I got her home, the first things was to give her a wash:
View attachment 99731
View attachment 99732

While all of this work was going on, I've been spending some time in the garage, clearing it out and optimising how I'm using the space, to make the S3 fit in there. Since we moved into this house two years ago the garage was a dumping ground for all sorts of rubbish and made it unusable for storing a car. I'm 99% there and did a trial fit to see what needs moving around to make it easier to use - it fits! :)

View attachment 99726

Once I got that out of the way, a friend of mine popped over and we went out for a chilled night drive to start getting some miles on her ;)
View attachment 99725

I'll get the Team Dynamics wheels cleaned up today and fit them ahead of the trip up to AITP on Sunday. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it, so didn't bother asking for any club passes, so the car is not on any club stands unfortunately - maybe next year :)

In summary, it really feels like a new car now and every time I've driven it so far, I get that tingling sensation of how it feels now as well as in anticipation of how it will feel when full potential of the upgrades is realised in the next month or so... I can't wait!

Focus will now shift towards sorting out a few small bodywork blemishes and interior... watch this space :)
what filter have you got on buddy and what size is it to fit the revo pipe , looks huge ?

would say the new washer jet is essential as the old one doesn't line up with the holes in the new cap unless you put a washer under it. it needs a bit of push with a soft mallet as it doesn't push on as easily as the old one

Hm, I didn't notice issues with my washer jet - will need to double-check.

what filter have you got on buddy and what size is it to fit the revo pipe , looks huge ?

My intake is a bit of a mish-mash of things that started out as a basic Revo CAI.. I found that the pipe would pivot around the only bolt that was holding it in place, near the HPFP (Circled in red) and this caused nasty metal clunking noises over bumpy roads. I asked a local place to make a bracket for me that would provide an extra point of support near the turbo heat shield (large yellow circle), plus another little bracket was made to lift the pipe slightly near the original fixing point (small yellow circle):

Untitled

These changes mean that the intake pipe is now fixed in place properly and is very solid.

My original Revo filter element detached from the metal backing, so I ended up getting an ITG foam filter to replace it, from a friend. Exact size of that is 86mm ID / 89mm OD Neck (JC60/86). I agree though it's pretty chunky, but free is free :)

Another mod I did was to put in a cold air feed from the fog lamp area behind the bumper that comes out from below the filter, whcih you can't see, but it's definitely not hurting.

Reactions: S. and MICHAEL PARKER
Hm, I didn't notice issues with my washer jet - will need to double-check.

My intake is a bit of a mish-mash of things that started out as a basic Revo CAI.. I found that the pipe would pivot around the only bolt that was holding it in place, near the HPFP (Circled in red) and this caused nasty metal clunking noises over bumpy roads. I asked a local place to make a bracket for me that would provide an extra point of support near the turbo heat shield (large yellow circle), plus another little bracket was made to lift the pipe slightly near the original fixing point (small yellow circle):

View attachment 101537

These changes mean that the intake pipe is now fixed in place properly and is very solid.

My original Revo filter element detached from the metal backing, so I ended up getting an ITG foam filter to replace it, from a friend. Exact size of that is 86mm ID / 89mm OD Neck (JC60/86). I agree though it's pretty chunky, but free is free :)

Another mod I did was to put in a cold air feed from the fog lamp area behind the bumper that comes out from below the filter, whcih you can't see, but it's definitely not hurting.
my Revo seems fine tbh , i read in the instructions that it is not meant to be fixed solid as it should move with engine movements which was weird imo as it is fitted to the turbo which in essence moves with the engine anyway surely ?I think the itg filter looks the nuts on your car , the revo one looks too small to me .

If you can mate would be appreciated, apparently some of the compounds don't agree with the dsg box
Forgot to respond to this, sorry.

The insert I have is a yellow Powerflex. Since being fitted I either got used to it or it has gotten a little softer/bedded-in and while the vibrations are still there, I don't notice it as much or mind it. The initial pull still feels great too!

So, a trip to Storm showed that Rick's map is very good and is dealing with the new parts very well.

We did see a bit of a boost spike at around 3500rpm and I'll see if Rick can address it with a map tweak. The TTE spools very quickly and the ECU struggles to control it initially, so maybe pre-empting this in the map can help to bring things under control. It might be addressed by the ecu automatically through adaptation, but some further tweaks may be needed. For now, current map from Rick stays as Andy said that he is unlikely to improve on it by much in a reasonable amount of time and commented on how good Rick's map is! You don't get tuners complimenting each other much

Anyway, Andy didn't have the correct cable to flash the DSG box at the shop, so I'll make a visit some time later to get that sorted and hopefully get some decent dyno runs in.

So, the numbers.... We had some issues with the dyno, which was not able to calculate bhp correctly during rundown, but we did get a consistent reading of 360whp and torque at 500nm. This roughly translates to 420bhp and 370lbft, but given dyno issues today I'll wait to pop the champagne once I attend a RR day and can compare results with other cars.

In summary, I'm very happy that the car is healthy and is delivering good levels of power. I'm ready to go to the Ring next week

b8cc00cd72c7154c0531552239a99442.jpg

f22b62531e3a35b3fd38269fd73436c3.jpg

Reactions: THQuattro, paul_zx6r, LukeJS3 and 6 others
Glad to hear that everything is fine with your car now and that the new engine and TTE420 are both running well!

Some good figures there, shame about the dyno not working properly so let us know how the RR day goes.

It really does sound like the chaps at Storm are spot on, I can't wait for them to start doing some work on mine.

Enjoy the Nurburgring! :)