Legal Tender in the UK.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Bit of a new one for me today concerning the use of cash as payment.
Whilst contactless and pin code card use is the norm these days and with the current problems many retailers prefer it, what is the position for cash.
Two retailers I visited to day wound not accept cash under any circumstances which did leave my wondering, also some cash machines wouldn't dispense any cash either due to coronavirus.
My local morrisons will take all means of payment as do most others but it seems a growing number are refusing cash as a means of payment.

From my understanding the English pound and coinage are legal tender full stop and retailers cannot decline payment by cash.

Given not everyone may have cards to use or may prefer to use cash where does that leave Joe public now.

Any thoughts on this situation and whether it is a legal one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only due to banks closures & security vans maybe, I suspect they don't want to hold cash on site, hence cards bud, personally, I can't stand cash.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
as a manager for a business that now only takes card payments yes it is fine and legal for businesses to decline cash as payment as the legal tender applies for settling a debt not for paying for goods etc

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Charlie Farley
Fair points chaps, but, what about those people that may be unable to use cards as a means of payment but do have cash.
Cards can be blocked , not work etc but cash will allways work.

Is it not a bit discriminatory to only accept one form of payment when someone may have more than enough funds to pay for the product or goods.
The same applies to outlets only accepting online orders and payment, that wont help people that have the funds but not the means.

Fair points chaps, but, what about those people that may be unable to use cards as a means of payment but do have cash.
Cards can be blocked , not work etc but cash will allways work.

Is it not a bit discriminatory to only accept one form of payment when someone may have more than enough funds to pay for the product or goods.
The same applies to outlets only accepting online orders and payment, that wont help people that have the funds but not the means.
yea I agree it's not great but its decision above my pay grade as some people only have cash like you say and from the other side if you are saying no to cash your losing potential customers for good
but I do believe this maybe it for cash as the majority will be use to not being able to pay with cash so more businesses may adopt cashless as a permanent policy

yea I agree it's not great but its decision above my pay grade as some people only have cash like you say and from the other side if you are saying no to cash your losing potential customers for good
but I do believe this maybe it for cash as the majority will be use to not being able to pay with cash so more businesses may adopt cashless as a permanent policy

It will be a sad day if cash goes, I cant see it will just yet but I think it will be a big problem for those people that use cash as a primary means of payment .

Reactions: martin1984
What I don't like is doing a touch free card purchase, but getting no receipt. If you are not paying with cash and not getting a receipt on a number of purchases it's not straightforward keeping a grip on your finances.

Reactions: Pinky1959
Bit of a new one for me today concerning the use of cash as payment.
Whilst contactless and pin code card use is the norm these days and with the current problems many retailers prefer it, what is the position for cash.
Two retailers I visited to day wound not accept cash under any circumstances which did leave my wondering, also some cash machines wouldn't dispense any cash either due to coronavirus.
My local morrisons will take all means of payment as do most others but it seems a growing number are refusing cash as a means of payment.

From my understanding the English pound and coinage are legal tender full stop and retailers cannot decline payment by cash.

Given not everyone may have cards to use or may prefer to use cash where does that leave Joe public now.

Any thoughts on this situation and weather it is a legal one.

Cash can be means of catching the coronavirus. It is for the safety of staff that is why some outlets are not accepting cash