LED sidelights.

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Right chaps. I'm after a new set of LED sidelights, I want nice bright set, around 300 lumens give of take. I'm after a nice clean white light with potentially a hint of blue (not blue though).

Any recommendations?

I too am looking for some 434 led sidelight bulbs for my s4. It had some fitted when I bought it and they were great but one packed up. Got another set but they seem to cut out when they get hot and come back on 10 mins later. So I'm back on normal halogen ones now but they're just too yellow sitting next to the xenons so still hunting

The thing with going very bright on such a small circuit is that the heat has no where to go meaning it will fail fast, @Dani_B19, how comes you need 300 Lumens on them? you wanting to run them as DRL's?

@s4mark they turned off for 20 mins as the built in resistor more than likely got hot the solder got hot and detached from the circuit, then when it cooled down the canbus chip hardend back onto it.

I do have some very very bright ones coming in mid Feb that will be around 250 lumens at the bulb so with that in the reflector they will be bright.

Trups

Reactions: Dani_B19
The thing with going very bright on such a small circuit is that the heat has no where to go meaning it will fail fast, @Dani_B19, how comes you need 300 Lumens on them? you wanting to run them as DRL's?

@s4mark they turned off for 20 mins as the built in resistor more than likely got hot the solder got hot and detached from the circuit, then when it cooled down the canbus chip hardend back onto it.

I do have some very very bright ones coming in mid Feb that will be around 250 lumens at the bulb so with that in the reflector they will be bright.

Trups
I was looking to run them with the DRl lights at the same time yes.

So with the lumens beeing higher the bulbs will burn out quicker then.

The ones due in Feb, what will they be like? The ones Dan posted?

I knew you would ask that :p

I'll try and get some photos tonight and show you tomorrow

Hi guys,

I recently had this dilemma when my old led sidelights started to flicker and basically do what they fancied. After about four different sets with various problems I ended up settling on these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H6W-BA...us-No-Error-/361233339036?hash=item541b2f529c

I found the COB led type to be better than the SMD type, the COB style seem brighter generally and I've had less problems with them.. Anyway they are rated at 550lm each and seem extremely bright compared to any others I've seen, they've been in for a bit over a year so far with no issues

I have a picture comparing them to two friends halogen lights and the difference is bonkers... just need to figure out how to post a picture, still a newbie haha sorry...

Screen Shot 2017 02 01 at 193816

Last edited:
Oh the picture worked, sorry for the double post just want to be clear thats just sidelights no main beam or anything... Hope this is of some use because it took me ages to find any I was happy with :yes:

Too bright , and they're in the reflector part...

which means razzle dazzle .

550lm , DrStange are a sensible and bright 100 lm.

Reactions: t8ups
The sidelights are classed as parking lights, the new ones I have are currently in test mode, running around 2 hours per day everyday to test for heat, any discolouring and also how the bulb holds up with the heat, if I am happy which atm I am then they will come into stock, if they don't then then I wont have them on my line up and will more than likely end up on ebay by one of the mass sellers who just buy and sell rather than testing the item and getting to know it.

Reactions: DrStrange and Dani_B19
Hi guys,

I recently had this dilemma when my old led sidelights started to flicker and basically do what they fancied. After about four different sets with various problems I ended up settling on these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H6W-BA...us-No-Error-/361233339036?hash=item541b2f529c

I found the COB led type to be better than the SMD type, the COB style seem brighter generally and I've had less problems with them.. Anyway they are rated at 550lm each and seem extremely bright compared to any others I've seen, they've been in for a bit over a year so far with no issues

I have a picture comparing them to two friends halogen lights and the difference is bonkers... just need to figure out how to post a picture, still a newbie haha sorry...

View attachment 116409
They are truely mental how bright they are.

You did ask for bright sidelights... they don't actually appear blue in person

I understand what you are saying about them being potentially dazzling Gazwould, just personal preference I suppose, he did ask for bright options. I doubt they will make much difference when the xenons are on at night dazzle wise (can't confirm not been on the receiving end) and during the day as DRL's they are perfect for me

Hate to say this as I'm not usually one to put a downer on threads but I've fitted LED sidelights, LED indicators, LED rear lights, LED interior lights, LED pretty much everything and now I'm back to halogen all 'round as I'd have bulb out lights on the dash, bulbs flickering, bulbs with half the LED's dying (if that makes sense) and the indicators (from T8ups) flashed red instead of orange and only worked on the rear.

I just use silver indicators and the bluest halogen headlight bulbs I can find from a decent manufacturer now.

Ferny427 - Welcome mate! Yes Cobb LED seem brighter in some applications as the single diode is massive and the whole strip is lit. Whereas with SMD, they are little tiny diodes to make up the same size strip.

To all - I definiately agree there is something as TOO bright. I dont think sidelights should compete with dipped beams.

Diesel Jake - Not at all. To be honest, I think your position is right. Sometimes I feel the B6 models, the plastic housing and the technology it uses, just 'aint equipped for LED lighting. Im currently running LED everything up front and whsilt I LOVE them, reality is, they may die on me due to heat or resistors exploding haha. Still Im gonna take the risk :p

My Pics of the LED sides at day and night. At night they are not as bright as sh*t Iphone wants to think they are!

PS. I have tinted headlights (and tails) so in pure daytime they arent really powerful at all.

LED Sides at night

LED sides Day

2016-01-02%2018.42.55_zpsvxk8zecj.jpg

Here is the Osram LED sidelights , perfect imo, there is no need to be brighter .

Halogen 501 should be banded...

I find in certain situations high up DRL to be dazzling and too bright .

Those Osram sidelights look nice, Gaz. Have you got a model number for the A4 B6? Many thanks ;)

The sidelights are classed as parking lights, the new ones I have are currently in test mode, running around 2 hours per day everyday to test for heat, any discolouring and also how the bulb holds up with the heat, if I am happy which atm I am then they will come into stock, if they don't then then I wont have them on my line up and will more than likely end up on ebay by one of the mass sellers who just buy and sell rather than testing the item and getting to know it.

Do you stock or know of the best options for LED for the DRLs on B8 A4. Got normal halogens at present but want white ones really as recently put HIDs in (5000 or 6000k I think). And the DRLs look a bit naff now.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed with Gaz,

The LED lights on his Passat look perfect. Just the right lighting output and colour. Leave the powerful lights for the Dipped beams.

Halogen lights are so incredibly dated and just pull a screw face every time I see them on our cars haha.

Reactions: DrStrange
I promise you it's a lovely crisp white. Maybe there figures are off, I wouldn't have them in they were blueish.

Will be taking pics tomorrow morning of my new LED headlight bulbs so will take a few of these too.

I don't doubt they're a good colour just that their description is incorrect .

Half the problem with choosing HID and LED is the selling companies interpretation of the colour .

I'd have to purchase two close K kits to gain 100% satisfaction .

Oh for sure, so many companies selling lesser quality products chucking out any old info just to sell them.

When I bought them I didn't even look at the temp, just bought the best branded CREE bulbs at the time.

For comparison I was running 5500k HID's at the time and the sidelights were slightly whiter.

As promised the Mtech sidelights in action....

Reactions: DrStrange, Dani_B19 and DieselJake