LED running lights

glens14a

Reaction score
I've seen on this board that its mostly hate and not love for LED style running lights and I agree when not on a Audi or Porsche (Saab's just look wrong anyway) but when fitted to Saxo's and the like :puke2:
But I wanted to try them so I did.
These were a universal strip that can be applied to the outside of the headlamp (I did try this and it didn't look right).
So I took out the lower grills that surround the fog light and bar the fog light bit they were a perfect fit, so with a bit of modifying I managed to get them to loop in behind the fog lamp and look like two separate lights. I also changed out the side light for a ultra bright led ones so the colour would be a better match.
I have read that you can programme the VAGcom to become proper day running lights but its much easier for me to just switch them on with the side light :yes:

so pics (sorry for poor quality phone pics at the mo)

ledaudi1.jpg

ledaudi1-1.jpg

ledaudi5.jpg

ledaudi.jpg

What led bulbs are you using for the "Side lights"day running lights where were they purchased. Will I need to programme mine as I have full DIS and OEM Xennons. How do you programme the VAG to do this. Advice appriciated:o.k:

Last edited:
Those LED's look very good in honesty :)

The only thing I would say is, and please don't take this as a criticism but I'm not too sure about the break by the foglights, difficult to know exactly how to get around that though .....

They're quite a popular mod on C5 A6/RS6's, but they dont have the fog light interupting the strip - much better all round...

Think I agree with quattrojames...

IMO those look better than the B7/B8 running lights, the newer ones still look a bit too "glow stick" for my liking... esepecially the B8 when the Daytime running lights start weaving up and down..... not sure what i'm gonna do for my next car if all the A4's are heading that way, but I think it'll be an avant anyway: company car scheme is beckoning already and the A5 Sportback seems like the nicest "compromise" :jump:

AUDI_A5_Sportback_v.jpg

Audi-A5-Sportback-2012.jpg
a5_sportback_header.jpg

Last edited:
As stated above you either love or hate the Audi LED Running lights....

I have to say I find the Audi "LED Running Lights" a reet gimmick and rate them in the "lets drive around with fog lights on with sidelights only on" fraternity (probably something to do with my age being an old fart)......and I personally don't like them.....but each to their own.....(its sort of like the electric handbrake on new Passats - something else I really don't like)
If they were on my next Audi I would hope that they could be VAGCOM'd off and only come on when side lights/dipped headlights are switched on....

....and I also find them a bit blinding.....am I the only one who thinks that.....?

Last edited:
A bit Porsche Panamera...?

:salute:

Yes a bit, nicer than that though. It does look it from the rear three quarters, but from the side view it has a more pronounced rear tail lip than the Porsche which is more rounded.

ha ha... I've just realised: the pic at the top is of an Avant! (look at the window next to the C-pillars!) Blame google image search!

I'll make the call when a new car beckons, but reckon until there's a call for prams and baby accessories (a couple of years off yet, I hope!), the saloon should suffice!

I can see where the Panamera references are coming from, but there's a difference between a slightly "bulged" coupe that is now a 5 door hatch and a compact sports car that's been stretched, inflated, stretched a bit more and then rounded off...

If they were on my next Audi I would hope that they could be VAGCOM'd off and only come on when side lights/dipped headlights are switched on....

....and I also find them a bit blinding.....am I the only one who thinks that.....?
They can be vag com d off so you can just have normal lights if there not your cuppa .

paul - nice to know - having them linked to the sidelights seems fine, but seeing cars lit up like a neon blue christmas tree on Romford highstreet in the middle of a hot summers day just looks plain silly.... a bit like those little blue LED's that certain people think looks good in the windscreen washers, but even less subtle.... so I think I'd have to get that vagcom tweak!

I agree ,
i would leave them if they had rain sensors and only came on in wet weather that would be good from a safety point of view .

that would be decent if you could VAGcom that in... but in the absence of that option: I find there's this little dial just to the right of my steering wheel that makes my sidelights go on whenever it gets a bit gloomy...

I find there's this little dial just to the right of my steering wheel that makes my sidelights go on whenever it gets a bit gloomy...
That little dial i always use in gloomy/wet weather
but so many dont and there lies the problem.