1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED Reverse lights

Ice Kay May 29, 2019

1. Ice Kay

Ice Kay Member Sportback TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Team Silver Audi A3 Manual

Is replacing halogen lights bulbs with LED reverse lights road legal?
    Would it pass an MOT?
    Are you able to replace any other halogen lights with LED without it becoming illegal?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Ice Kay

Ice Kay Member Sportback TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Team Silver Audi A3 Manual

Anybody ?

4. Gnasher

Gnasher Active Member

AFAIK fully legal - had LED bulbs in my reverse lights, cornering lights and front indicators for years and never an issue.

The only thing that might make them a bit dodgy is if they are significantly dimmer than the halogens they replaced as an MOT tester might fail them on light output. Just make sure you use good quality (not ebay specials lol) LED bulbs and they'll be nice and bright. Not an endorsment as I've never used them but Deautokey (I think) do kits specifically for various cars and always seem to get good reviews.

I think the construction and use regulations used to (not sure if they do any more) specifically refer to filament bulbs but never had any issues myself.

Ice Kay likes this.