LED replacements for retrofitted bulb/LED rear lights

Mannie

Reaction score
So, I have the new LED lights and am fitting them whilst doing the interior LED lighting. Still waiting for harness.

Are people using LED bulbs for the rear lighting units of the car? They all seem to be bulbs at the moment.
Do you have any Ebay/Amazon/Web links with what bulb would be a good CANBUS version would be ideal. I thinking the reverse light would be a good LED replacement. I think thats a W5W light?

Main LED Retro fitted lights

Inner rear lights

used all led on 09 plate car but on newer 2010 with newer ce box even can bus ones dont work correctly ,execpt the reverse light bulbs .
even modded rear indicator lenses to take 6 /3w cree led across the lens very bright even in direct sunlight . too cold atm to experiment with new car and fact it never stops raining .

used all led on 09 plate car but on newer 2010 with newer ce box even can bus ones dont work correctly ,execpt the reverse light bulbs .
even modded rear indicator lenses to take 6 /3w cree led across the lens very bright even in direct sunlight . too cold atm to experiment with new car and fact it never stops raining .

Thats god news, I don't suppose you have any links of error free LEDs you used. Im pretty new to this LED malarky but know enough to know they are pretty expensive and prone either just working or not.

Not many of the so called canbus friendly leds actually work correctly on modern Audis. I've tried some over the years, some work but most won't. t8rups led's always work because they are tried and tested so that's where I buy all mine now.

IMG_3073_zpsapft9ph1.jpg

Oh yes, this excites me! Did you get this from t8ups? If not links please. I take it you are happy with these.

t8ups is your man. I got these as a gift. They were from DeAutokey. No problems with them so far and have been known to give the driver behind me a little tan

Reactions: Sandra
Yes! got the lights fitted and working properly! Well happy!

what year is car ?pre 2010 were cold diagnostic checking can be turned off?
Ive got a 2007 A3, I have bought some LEDs and they seem to be error free, which has worked out well.

I was wondering if you can shed some light.
Ive fitted my rear retro fitted lights and have fitted LED lights too. Im getting this funky disco flash when I turn the ignition on. It looks like an undercover police car with its flashes. I don't have any canbus errors. I know why the flashing is happening. It's the car system checking the lights right? Is there a way of stopping the flashing?

You only need to watch first 5 seconds.

I was wondering if you can shed some light.
Ive fitted my rear retro fitted lights and have fitted LED lights too. Im getting this funky disco flash when I turn the ignition on. It looks like an undercover police car with its flashes. I don't have any canbus errors. I know why the flashing is happening. It's the car system checking the lights right? Is there a way of stopping the flashing?

You only need to watch first 5 seconds.
Think its something to do with the Canbus System but I could be wrong.

Flashing leds is usually caused by low voltage, or they just happen to be faulty.

Isnt it a bulb test? It sends power down them to test the bulbs, normally you have halogen so they don't light up as they're slower but as its LED they flash.

Mine does the same

From what I have read on this forum its a bulb test. I was wondering if there is a way to stop this flashing as I still have to put the car back together and don't want to have to take it apart again. Would this resistors work that stop the car showing up a light out warning?

You need resistors then. I must say though, I've tried Ebay resistors and they didn't work either. Eventually gave up with them and the bulbs and started buying all my lighting from t8ups, always works first time.

that's cold diagnostics and the overall recommendation is to turn off the cold diagnostics in VCDS and then no flicker. Cold diagnostics overtime will decrease the life of the bulb

Right! This is the news I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the info. This means I can put my car back together now then. Thank you thank you thank you!