LED replacement bulb for license plate?

maxpayne

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Just noticed that one of the bulbs in the rear license plate light has gone out in my 2005 A3 Sportback.

Instead of using the tired old yellow halogen bulbs, I thought I'd use a LED. Something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252676487281

Just wondering if this is safe to use?

TVM

PM trups, he sells decent canbus replacements. Heard and read a lot of differing reviews of eBay so called canbus compatible replacements.

I have just ordered mine!

PM trups, he sells decent canbus replacements. Heard and read a lot of differing reviews of eBay so called canbus compatible replacements.

I have just ordered mine!

Cool. I wasn't planning to spend much on this. How much was yours?

@t8ups sells them and you need the resistor loom. Will cost about £20 for the lot but they will work. Or you could mess about and try ebay versions but will cost you more in the end as most don't work or you'll be cutting and messing about with the wiring.

Reactions: t8ups
Im recommending Trups guy knows well that stuff i got my one done few days ago and they looks well nice :)

Reactions: Raiden, t8ups and maxpayne
Good and bad news. Good news is the cheap fleabay bulbs that I ordered for £3.50 works flawlessly. Bad news is having opened one of the light holders, the metal connection housing inside was rusted just came off in pieces :0 That means I need to actually get a replacement housing too now!

Rather annoyingly the units available on fleabay are 18 LED units. Feels like that would be way too bright :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff3
ebay
Good and bad news. Good news is the cheap fleabay bulbs that I ordered for £3.50 works flawlessly. Bad news is having opened one of the light holders, the metal connection housing inside was rusted just came off in pieces :0 That means I need to actually get a replacement housing too now!

Rather annoyingly the units available on fleabay are 18 LED units. Feels like that would be way too bright :(

they look tacky also IMO, when I have seen cars with them it really devalues it as its just 2 blobs of light.

Look on ebay for the housings, dealers are around £12.