LED Plate Bulb Resistors?!

buzzkip

Reaction score
Hi all,

I purchased two LED bulbs for my number plate, but they just flicker and the 'bulb failure' warning comes on. I was advised to install resistors so the company sent me them.

Does anyone know how to fit these resistors on a MY 2010-2011 A3??

Thank you :)

i bought some decent bulbs in the first place, no resistors, no problems....good show :)

Where did you get them? :) But also, if someone could answer the topic question that'd be great!

no idea and no idea haha.....theres plenty of info on decent bulbs, pay ya money normally means uou get quality, use search is best advice i can give if you havent already ;)

I bought these:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

And wrapped 2x 220Ω around the pins on each numberplate bulb holders, no soldering involved... had them in for around 4 months now and no problems.....

Easy enough if you crave this mod.....

As Rhymesaka and Silky have said, there is no other way to go - to date - other than fitting the resistors for 2010/2011 A3's. I paid £40 a pair of number plate light units that claimed to be Canbus compatible and for 2010+ A3's from German Ebay, but even these were no good. :( x

errrm you dont always need resistors..... depends what ya get and how lucky you are :)

errrm you dont always need resistors..... depends what ya get and how lucky you are :)

Soz buddy, didn't know you could get LED plate bulbs to work straight out of the box on an MY10 or MY11 A3/S3. Good show if you got lucky though, lol! Which bulbs did you buy? :wub: x

PAulie...honestly? no frickin idea :) used one of the links in the FAQs section ;)

Yer, I think its 2010+ when they changed the bulb system...

i think its more to do with the ECU version isn't it? pre facelifts also had bulb issues, very sporadic

The later cars use a different method of checking the circuitry for bulb out warnings etc...