LED Matrix Headlights

A5sprint

Reaction score
Has anybody who has got the new A4 optioned the LED Matrix Headlights and if so, what are they like in the real world v bi-xenons?

I had them on the car I tested overnight and I absolutely loved them! I think that they're probably a personal thing to be honest based on whether you think that they're worthwhile. I didn't notice that the actual distance or intensity of the light was better than bi-xenons, what made the difference for me was the fact that it would actually light more of the road more of the time and that is what makes me want to have them when I order my S4. :)

Reactions: TunedMassDamper and ScottishA4B9
They certainly look good. It depends on whether you want to spend £600+ ?? replacing something that works perfectly well anyway.

Reactions: TunedMassDamper
Yeah, I just love the way they worked to be honest. I liked that you could always see all of the road, much more than switching between high and low beams with bi-xenons or the normal LED headlights.

They certainly look good. It depends on whether you want to spend £600+ ?? replacing something that works perfectly well anyway.
Get the light and vision pack. That way you also get the virtual cockpit and extended interior lights for not much more bundled in with the matrix lights.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Yeah I see that. It was just a reflection on paying for something to replace something else's that doesn't need replacing.

I was very impressed with the matrix lights, as well as making driving easier at night there is big safety benefit from from these lights.
You never dazzle on coming drivers and you definitely get a clearer view of the road ahead when there is glare from oncoming traffic.
Like everything they are pricey initially but lights like these will become the norm before long.

Yeah I see that. It was just a reflection on paying for something to replace something else's that doesn't need replacing.

You could say that about sealed beam to halogen or halogen to hid. I don't mind paying a bit more for something if it's an improvement but not just for sake of it hence why I asked how they compare to the bi-xenons in the real world.

Tried them out for the first time tonight and they were great, put them on and forget about it. Keep the road lit up at all times without dazzling anyone

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and Daggerit
lights are great.....but. Does anyone else believe their lights are set a little too low?

if so, is there a way to adjust them?

Also, when ordering my B9 avant the dealer said about the lights bending according to road shape and the connection to the sat nav. now, I'm no technophobe but i can't see how it is done / set etc. any ideas? i know the lights on the side illuminate when the wheel is turned to a certain degree and further, again, any ideas?

thanks

I don't have matrix led unfortunately, I definitely would have specced them if they were available on the SQ5 though. I've also got the side cornering lights which work at low speed and also 'adaptive' which turn the dip/main with the steering wheel above a certain speed, nothing to do with the satnav as far as I'm aware.

The Matrix LED Lights are defo connected to the Sat Nav and adjust for corners just before you get there.

Reactions: h1r4
Correct as does the predictive efficiency assistant that advises you to lift when there is a roundabout ahead even though you might not be yet able to see it.

Reactions: h1r4 and ScottishA4B9
As above!! , they're nice features and I believe the matrix led are worth it!

So how do i set it up?

The adaptive works as does the anti dazzle. But the moving of the lights doesn't. And as said previously i also believe the lights seem to be set maybe 6 inches to low

Thoughts9

Have you put them into auto mode? I found on my test drive you had to push the stalk away from me like putting on the high beams and it indicated on the dash they were in auto and doing their thing.

Didn't notice them looking too low though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Matrix LED Lights are defo connected to the Sat Nav and adjust for corners just before you get there.

Clever stuff indeed, so the lights start to turn even when the steering is still in the straight ahead position?

I've never experienced these lights and I'm not disagreeing with you but I must admit I find it hard to imagine that the sat nav would be accurate enough to keep up, say driving at speed down a windy road, could you potentially be turning left with your lights pointing right?

They also dip when you go into a built up area even if there is no street lighting.

They do what they say it does on the tin:
"The LEDs in the Matrix LED headlights also assume the function of cornering lights, selectively brightening or dimming to shift the focal point of the light in the direction of the curve. They do this shortly before the wheel is turned based on predictive route data provided by the MMI navigation plus. Audi is the first manufacturer to completely replace the otherwise mechanical elements of the cornering light with software."

Reactions: Daggerit and SteveMcB
Which could be interesting in future when the maps get out of date on the sat nav. :)

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but thought it was better than starting a new one.

Tried mine out for the first time last night going from a restaurant off rural roads then Derby to Stoke.
OMG sums it up.

By far the coolest and most impressive option I have on my car. Fantastic to see it working and "cut out" cars as they come to towards you. The auto function works lawlessly and I didn't get flashed by any cars on the other side of the carriage way / road. Good as well how it knows when your in a residential area and dims them.

I can't comment if they are better than bi-xenons, I only ever had bulb headlights before, but would definitely spec them again in a heart beat.

Question thought, once you've turned Auto HighBeam on and its does its thing. Is there a way to turn it off? Just in case I do end up getting flashed.

Reactions: Despretine
I cant answer your question but it is good to hear your impressions - I've not been out in the dark yet, something to look forward to :)

If you push the stalk again it scrolls through auto and full beam and dipped if you pull back on it.

I'll have to try it again. Pushing it away turned it on high beam fully, but pulling it back just flashed it like you would normal, but kept it in normal..