LED Headlights VS Adaptive Xenon Plus

Shawn8V

Reaction score
Just wanted to post to ask what the differences are between these headlights, as in what features come with each headlights. Not asking about the the different technology used.

Just wanted to post to ask what the differences are between these headlights, as in what features come with each headlights. Not asking about the the different technology used.

Led -has built in cornering lights /junction the led drl also doubles up as the indicators
Adaptive xenons turn/swivel left and right with steering, also both can work in conjunction with the technology package sat nav

Adaptive Xenons are also very rare. I only seen one picture of it posted here.

Most produced are the regular Xenon without the Corning bulb that make them "Adaptive".

i have the adaptive xenons.
i love them, although i hate the colour / temp contrast from the corning bulb when i turn the wheel. i plan to change these to something matching in due course.

I've had both on my 2 S3s this year. Adaptive first and now LED. I preferred the adaptive for night driving, actually could see it working more. But the LEDs look pretty snazzy when illuminated. Definitely not worth the £700 or whatever it was though!

i love them, although i hate the colour / temp contrast from the corning bulb when i turn the wheel.

I also hate that...you get a reminder every time you unlock the car at night.

Let me know if you find a good bulb to replace the yellows.

Reactions: RO65ERS
My first time with LEDs and I absolutely love them.
Night time driving is a pleasure and when Full Beam activated, it lights up the road.
Also, the brightest Indicator Lights that I have ever experienced.

BMW are now advertising Laser Lights. Don't know / have experience of these, although if they are better than LEDs, then I look forward to them on a future car.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I had adaptive xenons on the 123d that we've just had written off. When I took a '12 plate 1.8TFSI out for a test drive in the dark at weekend, the 'poor in comparison' headlights were one of the first things I commented on. Really going to miss those lights - you don't know what you've got until it's gone, heh

Some of the responses above seem a little misleading. I cannot comment on the LED lights but I have the adaptive lights on an S3 and had adaptive lights on my previous TT. The S3 adaptive headlights swivel and there are in addition (separate) cornering lights. Whilst the S3 adaptive lights really do not appear as noticeable (i.e. they do not appear to swivel as much) as those on the TT they certainly are useful on fully dark country roads. If you do most of your driving in built up areas or motorways the swivel function is not very useful. However, working in conjunction with the technology package the cornering lights turn on as you approach a junction. It works well and does help with positioning the car in relation to the curb. Having said that my wife's Hyundai i10 city car has cornering lights that are triggered by turning the wheel and that works just as well without a complicated GPS interface!

Got LED's and love them.

Can't fault the night driving light picks things up a mile off.

I'd say the spread, particularly when not full beam, is a bit weird in comparison to xenon which has very definitive cut of, but not lacking.

Indicators are stunning, can be 5 cars back at the lights and lighting the signs up more than all cars ahead put together. Also on locking/unlocking just look great and always look back to see them.

Every time I see another A3 indicating or turning a corner with yellow bulbs I know money well spent.

I love my LED's. Had Xenon's on a TT before the S3 and the LED's cover such a long distance. As said above, the front indicators are so bright, you can see them reflecting on signs quite far ahead. The front fog lights illuminating when turning the steering wheel is a really cool and useful feature, especially here in Wales where there's rock and pot holes!

The brightness is immense and everything looks so clear. The only comment I do have is that the dipped bean could be a little further, maybe it can be adjusted?

In my opinion, the LED headlight unit looks better and gives it a more 'mean' look.

They look pretty snazzy when unlocking and locking too...

Reactions: Rob2k68
Some tech from Audi :-

Adaptive headlights :-
eo5RDDQc

LED's :-

dNi0toPW

I love my LED's. Had Xenon's on a TT before the S3 and the LED's cover such a long distance. As said above, the front indicators are so bright, you can see them reflecting on signs quite far ahead. The front fog lights illuminating when turning the steering wheel is a really cool and useful feature, especially here in Wales where there's rock and pot holes!

The brightness is immense and everything looks so clear. The only comment I do have is that the dipped bean could be a little further, maybe it can be adjusted?

In my opinion, the LED headlight unit looks better and gives it a more 'mean' look.

They look pretty snazzy when unlocking and locking too...

Great video showing this - I really like how it menacingly illuminates the DRL to full brightness in stages. I quite like the slightly smoked headlamp lenses too.

Reactions: Vins
Presumably because Audi would like potential customers to spend money on the LED upgrade in the above brochure extracts there is considerable talking up of features that you get with the standard (rear LEDs/headlight 'cleaning system') or adaptive (cornering lights, navigation/speed dependent beam) xenons anyway. I am not commenting on the effective differences in LEDs/xenons, just the tone of Audi's sales pitch.