Led Headlights Flickering when turn ignition on

Blatzvid

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I've bought a set of H7 canbus headlights, everything fine, no errors, but when I turn ignition on they flicker for a few seconds. A friend told me that's because the ECU emits a charge to check the lights, but because LED needs less power than Halogen to turn on they flicker, there is anyway to turn off this "light check" ?

I have Vagcom if needed.

thank you all

Use search, i think someone make tutorial for that here on forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blatzvid
Use search, i think someone make tutorial for that here on forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done it but can't find anything with my exact situation, only found about the interior leds or leds that flicker all the time, mine only does when I turn ignition on :shrug:

Hello Guys,

I've bought a set of H7 canbus headlights, everything fine, no errors, but when I turn ignition on they flicker for a few seconds. A friend told me that's because the ECU emits a charge to check the lights, but because LED needs less power than Halogen to turn on they flicker, there is anyway to turn off this "light check" ?

I have Vagcom if needed.

thank you all
You can do it on vcds.. I did it for my headlights but had trouble with the fogs for some reason it would still flash quickly about 5 times then stop like you say, I forgot the section on vcds but it can be done.

You're right about the reason it does it though, ECU is basically checking for presence of a complete circuit and those pulses are the self check. 'canbus error free bulbs' are the majority of time a waste of effort you're better off either turning the canbus system off which can be done for each set of lights individual on vcds or using power resistors but if you go for the resistors be warned they get hot af.

Sorry I forgot which section on vcds it is but I'm sure someone will know

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

You can do it on vcds.. I did it for my headlights but had trouble with the fogs for some reason it would still flash quickly about 5 times then stop like you say, I forgot the section on vcds but it can be done.

You're right about the reason it does it though, ECU is basically checking for presence of a complete circuit and those pulses are the self check. 'canbus error free bulbs' are the majority of time a waste of effort you're better off either turning the canbus system off which can be done for each set of lights individual on vcds or using power resistors but if you go for the resistors be warned they get hot af.

Sorry I forgot which section on vcds it is but I'm sure someone will know

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I also have a set of h7 with no canbus (no resistors) but these show an error so I really need to know how to do it on vagcom.
I have 2 problems with the flickering: It looks like a police car at night and after a few days the leds stop working because of flickering without the fans working

cold start or cold check it's called iirc

Finally I did it! No flickering at all! Thanks to everyone!
There is any chance of using non canbus leds without getting the bulb out error?

Cold diagnosis.

Reactions: Blatzvid and LEE69
How you fix it on vcds?
Thanks in advice!
I cant find that option for headlight.

Module 09 long coding has all cold diagnosis options, but if you've fitted led headlight bulbs, good luck.

Why good luck? If i turn off there it will stop flickering? When i turn position, led head lamp flickering.

Last edited:
Led headlights for one in non led headlight cars have terrible light dispersion as the lenses aren't setup for this & potential issues with the electrical systems, I once tested some led indicator & rear lights, this totally messed up my bixenon led DRL headlights, the feedback from interference caused allot of issues, so be warned, you maybe fine, but it's just some info.

How you fix it on vcds?
Thanks in advice!
I cant find that option for headlight.

Hello,

I disabled all cold diagnosis with VCDS, but remember you need leds with canbus (resistors) so it does not show any lights error on the dash.
Right now I have leds in the license plate and parking lights because Im retrofitting single-xenon headlights, leds on halogen headlight cause extreme glare and its no good for the other drivers.

Thank you,

Reactions: abmat
Hi, I have a 2014 A6 with the full LED headlights. I went into Module 09 Central Electronics to shut off the wink, but I must have clicked something else off or on. Unfortunately I didn't do an auto-save like I normally do. The wink disable did work, but now my LED strips are flickering constantly. The white LEDS are one, but there are yellow LED flickering as well. I did get two fault codes for the daytime running lights right/left. I attached images of the first 6 headlight bytes. Do you see anything off here? Or, maybe it's the "cold diagnosis"? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Ted

Attachments

• 2020-11-27 08.54.33.jpg
    2020-11-27 08.54.33.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 394
  • 2020-11-27 08.55.05.jpg
    2020-11-27 08.55.05.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 390
  • 2020-11-27 08.57.21.jpg
    2020-11-27 08.57.21.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 2020-11-27 08.57.35.jpg
    2020-11-27 08.57.35.jpg