1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED headlight bulbs - upgradeable ??

Fatbloke Oct 9, 2018

1. Fatbloke

Fatbloke Active Member

Hi All

I have LED headlights. They give a nice white light but it's not a very bright light.

Are there higher power replacement bulbs available?

Cheers

Dave

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. KenL

KenL Well-Known Member

Amazed you don't find these bright enough.

I'd be surprised if there were replacements that weren't so bright that they would be an annoyance to others.

Sean Byrne likes this.
  4. Fatbloke

Fatbloke Active Member

It's going to be exactly the same beam pattern and height adjustment so no reason they would be an annoyance to anyone.

5. Ron240

Ron240 Breaking the stereotype Team Ara Blue Gold Supporter Black Edition S3 Saloon

You would naturally think that but it's not always the case when changing bulbs, because some can throw light in different directions which is shown in group tests.
    Whether this is enough to be an annoyance to other drivers I cannot say though.
    I find the LED's on my car plenty bright enough. :)
    I always used to upgrade Halogen headlight bulbs, but have never felt the need with Xenon or LED.

KenL likes this.
  6. RJ-8V

RJ-8V Active Member Team Daytona Audi A3 S-line owners group

Simple answer: no

Advice: check your headlights for powerout faults etc.

The Led headlights are really bright, so if you don't find them bright enough...maybe something is wrong with them.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

7. KenL

KenL Well-Known Member

Not when going over the crest of a hill etc.

I often find cars with standard Xenons or LEDs approaching from the other direction pretty bright on an unlit road.

8. Rideen

Rideen Well-Known Member Team Brilliant Black saloon TDi Audi A3 Manual

Maybe he has PFL with LED headlights (non-matrix) and those are kinda weak.

9. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

There's no bulb upgrade for the Audi led units.... they ain't bulbs as such =led modules pretty sure there sealed units as well so no DIY

10. Fatbloke

Fatbloke Active Member

It's a FL 2016. The lights are not bad on an unlit dry road but if wet or other light sources are there, they are not so good.

11. KenL

KenL Well-Known Member

Have you had a car with better lights?

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. RJ-8V

RJ-8V Active Member Team Daytona Audi A3 S-line owners group

Recalibrate them or adjust them. It should give a lot of light

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

14. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

Same as all headlights then in the conditions you describe . Even with matrix headlights

Tom.H and Ron240 like this.
  15. Adam14

Adam14 Active Member Team Ara Blue Audi S3 DSG

Never heard of someone complaining of these lights being too dim, I get flashed regularly as people probably assume I'm on full beam when I'm not.

KenL likes this.
  16. JS46

JS46 New Member

I'm assuming you have factory fitted LED lights and not after market LED bulbs fitted in halogen lamps. Factory LED should give no cause for complaint, so if you're not happy then as has been suggested they probably need beam alignment or similar. From what I read, the performance of after market LEDs is, shall we say, variable. As an example, if the light source doesn't exactly match that of the halogen bulb, beam focus will be heavily compromised.
    JS