LED Footwell Light Replacement

S3GCN

Reaction score
Hi all

First post as I have just joined the forum after recently purchasing an S3 from my old fella. First Audi and so far am enjoying the experience.

My dad bought the car when it was a 3 month old ex-demonstrator. It is a 63 plate and I think as part of the spec has an extended lighting package with LED footwell lighting. The light in the passenger footwell has never worked - to be honest we didn't realise there was a light there as it has never worked (as we have ever used the rear we didn't realise there were lights under the rear seats either).

Anywho, dad has upgraded to a new RS3 which also has the same lighting package, but when his passenger footwell lit up we realised there was an issue with the light in what is now my S3.

I have spoke to the parts department at my local Audi dealer who has advised that it isn't a matter of replacing a bulb, it is a sealed light, however he couldn't tell me if it is a replacement that I could do or if it is a dealer replacement only.

Does anyone have any idea if the replacement of the light is a user service item and if so how do you get the old light out? I am partly thinking there may be an issue with the light as it has never worked during our ownership but I expect if I try to get it checked by Audi they will tell me that a light is a wear and tear item and I'll have to pay.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

I assume you have checked on the car systems menu that it is turned on?

Yep make sure footwell lights are enabled in the MMI.

My understanding is that they just lever out using a small screwdriver like the lamps you have in the doors. I've just ordered replacement LED bulbs in red for mine so I'll tell you for sure in the next few days.

Reactions: davc

If the driver's led works as I assume it does then it's a fault with the wiring or a blown bulb. .

I have the exact same problem in my car with all led's except the front nearside working. You cannot adjust individual bulbs in the MMI only the front and rear zones.

I have scanned mine for faults and VCDS didn't pick up anything.

My understanding is that they just lever out using a small screwdriver like the lamps you have in the doors. I've just ordered replacement LED bulbs in red for mine so I'll tell you for sure in the next few days.

Please do mate I might get some upgraded ones as well, although I fancy some blue ones a la Mk4 Golf dash stylee:tongueout:

Reactions: Rob2k68
I was presuming that as the drivers and rear footwell lights are on this one would be too. And the rest of the interior lighting seems to be on - speakers, cupholders etc. If that's not the case I'll have to check later.

If you wouldn't mind letting me know it would be appreciated, I'm not the handiest of people do any direction you could give would be much appreciated, thanks.

If you wouldn't mind letting me know it would be appreciated, I'm not the handiest of people do any direction you could give would be much appreciated, thanks.

Will do mate the bulbs should be here in a couple of days.

OK feedback as promised it takes around 30 mins to do all four being carefull and taking your time. Front units almost pop out and are easy as you can get your hand behind the trim and pretty much pop them out from the back. The rears can be a pig - they are the same units as the door puddle lights - you need to get a pry tool with a pointed end or a flat screwdriver in from one end, twist and lever out.

My car has the ILP fitted and already has LED bulbs but I'm replacing the white ones for red ones. If you are replacing filament bulbs for LED ones then they will be slightly different but a similar principle applies.

The new bulbs look like this (rears left, fronts right) :-
qoLOPv0y

Here is the front unit and my most used tool with the pointy end it comes in very useful :-
ujvGo8Jh

It can be tricky removing the lens, carefully lever the red locking latch in the centre whilst also applying a bit of pressure near the blue arrows using a small screw driver - yep you need two pairs of hands ! :-
AzODOuAy

Remove the standard LED :-
kSOIM1pR

And replace with the trups one, you will notice that the LEDs are at a slight angle - this is correct and is directional light, when you refit make sure that the side with two latches is facing inward towards the gear lever (red arrows to gear lever) :-
jbau5pfh

Repeat for rears.

Last edited:
Reactions: t8ups, davc, veeeight and 1 other person
Cheers, oops of course ha ha ...

Forgive the blurry phone photos ..... bit strange at first as its different but been to get stuff out the car a few times this evening and now I prefer it with the lower half of the car now all red.

zJ53Twxw

p8wdFhrJ

Reactions: pburv, Gazjs, davc and 1 other person
That looks cracking :)

I can do these in any colours, no one in the world has an LED for the front footwells.

we can do mixed too so one led white and one red if you prefer something different, can even do yellow so it looks halogen.

Also to the line up later in the rear I will be doing the ones that can change out the cupholder and speakers to other colours.

Reactions: rcnacura and Rob2k68
That looks cracking :)

I can do these in any colours, no one in the world has an LED for the front footwells.

we can do mixed too so one led white and one red if you prefer something different, can even do yellow so it looks halogen.

Also to the line up later in the rear I will be doing the ones that can change out the cupholder and speakers to other colours.

Thanks Trups - I really like it.

Mainly thanks to your top service they arrived next day - would highly recommend to anyone.

Reactions: pburv and veeeight
Great write up and thanks for the help. I was passing an audi dealership when I was working yesterday so went in to see if they had a replacement light in. The didn't (perhaps unsurprisingly) but the guy in the parts department spoke to their warranty guy who said if the issue was a failed halogen bulb it wouldn't be covered by warranty but as it is an LED unit which should have a long life he would do the work under warranty.

Problem is I was 80 miles from home where I was, so hopefully my local dealer will think the same thing.

I'll check while it's still under warranty.

That's look excellent. Thanks for the write up.

I like the choice of red, goes well with the control lighting etc ....

What a f**king ball ache the rears are...so much so I snapped the contacts on one of the rears. arrrggghhhhh!

/sulks off to EM tuning website.