LED DRL changes via VCDS

danb986

In awe of VCDS
Reaction score
Before I start, I want to say that I've done a lot of searching and Googling on this and I haven't found a definitive answer to exactly what I want to do.

Here's what I ideally want:

1. The LED DRL's to stay at full brightness when I turn my sidelights on (they normally get duller)
2. The LED DRL's to dull as normal when I indicate
3. The LED DRL's to dull as normal when I turn the xenon headlights on.

I've read quite a few threads where people can get the lights to stay at full brightness when indicating or to permanently have the rear lights on with the front DRL's, but I'd like to have it working as above if possible please.

I know it might vary depending on model, but mine's a 2010 Sportback.

Thanks.

Im really interested in this aswell:) I hope some has the answers.

I'm guessing you have auto lights because if you don't then it's a pretty simple fix in coding to get exactly what you want.

I'm guessing you have auto lights because if you don't then it's a pretty simple fix in coding to get exactly what you want.

No, not got auto lights. I'm glad to hear that for once what I'm trying to do is quite straightforward, do you know which bit of coding needs changing to what?

Does this work for auto lights aswell?

Does this work for auto lights aswell?

No.......changing to Scandinavian lighting setting only puts the rear lights on with full brightness DRL's in Auto mode whereas on a non Auto car it will change the sidelights to Full brightness.The only two fixes so far for auto's is having the DRL's permanently on in the "0" position and overriding the wiring to the lights so the DRL's always remain at full brightness in the sidelights and xenon position(Lights turn of in "0" position).

Reactions: danb986
Before I start, I want to say that I've done a lot of searching and Googling on this and I haven't found a definitive answer to exactly what I want to do.

Here's what I ideally want:

1. The LED DRL's to stay at full brightness when I turn my sidelights on (they normally get duller)
2. The LED DRL's to dull as normal when I indicate
3. The LED DRL's to dull as normal when I turn the xenon headlights on.

I've read quite a few threads where people can get the lights to stay at full brightness when indicating or to permanently have the rear lights on with the front DRL's, but I'd like to have it working as above if possible please.

I know it might vary depending on model, but mine's a 2010 Sportback.

Thanks.

Exactly what I'm looking for! Been thinking about this for AGES.
No auto lights for me either :)
They are totally over rated anyway!

These two threads should explain everything about the brightness of DRL LED's........you pretty much just have to change to the Scandinavian lighting setting if you don't have Auto Lights

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...77121-daytime-running-lights-sensitivity.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-drls-vcds-mod-3-dr-facelift-a3-s3s-only.html

Thanks for clarifying this. It's more simple than I thought then. The first link is the better one as it refers more to the Sportback, but it didn't come up when I was searching. Probably because I was just looking for "DRL Brightness".
Cheers again Arjuanamo

That thread is for the DRL's. the rear lights are on for DRL also, if you turn to sidelight then it will still dim down im afraid.

from the list you have put in what you want to change is just NO1.?

they still dim on on indicator which byte 8 bit 7. and there is no function to change them to have them at full with the xenons on so that will never change.

So on an A3 I don't think you will be able to achieve NO1, which is DRL's at full brightness when you turn on sidelights, its not a no no. just not free.

I worked on an A7 last year and the BCM had this option and it worked, activated for the owner, didn't get anymore info but its the only car I have seen this on, and I get new A5's and A4's in all the time.

trups

Ah nuts. This is what I was saying about not getting a definitive answer.

Arjuanamo you're saying:
"changing to Scandinavian lighting setting only puts the rear lights on with full brightness DRL's in Auto mode whereas on a non Auto car it will change the sidelights to Full brightness"

Whereas t8ups you say:
"So on an A3 I don't think you will be able to achieve NO1, which is DRL's at full brightness when you turn on sidelights, its not a no no. just not free"

So I'm still confused and I can't get hold of the laptop to try anything until the weekend.

I might have worded it badly, so here is what I want to achieve ideally -

Switch position OFF- No lights or DRL's (as normal)
Switch position DRL- Front DRL's at full brightness, Rear lights OFF (as normal)
Switch position Sidelights- DRL's at full brightness, Rear lights ON (the tricky bit)
Switch position Headlights- DRL's dimmed, Xenon's ON, Rear lights ON (as normal)
DRL's to be dim when indicating.

Is this do-able do you think?

Reactions: sliced
Ah nuts. This is what I was saying about not getting a definitive answer.

Arjuanamo you're saying:
"changing to Scandinavian lighting setting only puts the rear lights on with full brightness DRL's in Auto mode whereas on a non Auto car it will change the sidelights to Full brightness"

Whereas t8ups you say:
"So on an A3 I don't think you will be able to achieve NO1, which is DRL's at full brightness when you turn on sidelights, its not a no no. just not free"

So I'm still confused and I can't get hold of the laptop to try anything until the weekend.

I might have worded it badly, so here is what I want to achieve ideally -

Switch position OFF- No lights or DRL's (as normal)
Switch position DRL- Front DRL's at full brightness, Rear lights OFF (as normal)
Switch position Sidelights- DRL's at full brightness, Rear lights ON (the tricky bit)
Switch position Headlights- DRL's dimmed, Xenon's ON, Rear lights ON (as normal)
DRL's to be dim when indicating.

Is this do-able do you think?

'DRL's to be dim when indicating' is definitely possible, although it was enabled from factory on my 2009 8P3. (although i have auto lights)

Do you have auto lights? Does your light switch have the DRL setting or do you control this via your DIS?
Surely if you enable Scandinavian mode then your Rear Lights will come on at DRL setting with DRLs @ Full Brightness?

I feel your pain with this, I've been looking high and low for a way to get my DRL's @ Full Brightness either when @ Sidelight position or 0 position - the only people that have managed to do it cannot remember how to do it. :/

The DRL's already dim when indicating, I only mentioned that on the list because I know some people want to make them stay bright all the time. I just want those to stay dimming when indicating as normal.

No, not got auto lights, just the positions on the switch I listed above. The DRL's are switched on when I put the switch to the DRL position.

I know what you mean about being frustrating though. There doesn't seem to be anyone who can say 100% whether it's possible or not. I'll have to try a few things mentioned in one of the threads above at the weekend, and I'll update this page. I'm not sure if it'll be the same for you if you've got a 3 door though.

There is a setting for DRL brightness but i think it requires the security log in to be able to change or accept it - does anyone know the security log in for it?

Good luck, keep us updated. :superman:

Hi Dan.

you can change your DRL mode to scandi mode, your rear lights will be on and your DRL's will be bright but your numberplate lights will NOT be lit.

Then turn to sidelights and your DRL's will dim and your plate lights will turn on.

Even when you have Auto lights when does the car ever run on the sidelights? on my 08 RS6 it just turns the Xenons on, I bet if you guys with auto lights tried that its either DRL's or Xenons..

Trups

I bet if you guys with auto lights tried that its either DRL's or Xenons..

Trups

Yeah, auto does not do side lights.

I Personally prefer the DRL on front only, before it puts the headlight/xenons on.

Right, I had a play at the weekend and made no progress.
There isn't an option for Scandinavian DRL's like there was on my 2007 A3. In Byte 18 (I think) it has a drop down menu like in Adaptation and you can select what headlights you have. Mine was set to 2B, which is Xenons - LED DRL's - Rest Of World - Front DRL's only.

The only other options that include Xenons and LED DRL's are to turn on the rears as well, or for N America, which if I understand it correctly uses the headlights as DRL's.
I wasn't keen to play about in this section because of the big red warning message saying to make no changes unless absolutely necessary as it's possible to render the controller useless, meaning it will have to be replaced.

I found another thread (that's in my bookmarks on the laptop, which I haven't got here at work) and it said about making changes to Bit's in Byte 25 and 18 (I think) that weren't shown as tick boxes. But I tried the ones in Byte 25 and had no luck. For example it said change Bit 3 to a 1 to get full brightness LED DRL's when in Parking Light position, but my Byte 25 was something to do with the wipers or door locks or something, so I guess that was for earlier control modules.

At the moment I've resigned myself to the fact that it's not possible.

As a reminder to others - I was changing various things, one at a time so I could change them back if it didn't work, when I thought I'd try the part that says DRL brightness. I changed it from 100% to 10% just to see what would happen and the LED's didn't light up (or were too dull to see). I changed it back to 100% and they still didn't light up. Luckily I'd made a copy of the original long code and saved it in a Word document. I pasted it back into the long code and bingo, everything back to normal again.
It made me realise that if you're going to make ANY changes with VCDS you should always have the original code written down. Don't just rely on being able to change the tick boxes back manually.

Right, I had a play at the weekend and made no progress.
There isn't an option for Scandinavian DRL's like there was on my 2007 A3. In Byte 18 (I think) it has a drop down menu like in Adaptation and you can select what headlights you have. Mine was set to 2B, which is Xenons - LED DRL's - Rest Of World - Front DRL's only.

The only other options that include Xenons and LED DRL's are to turn on the rears as well, or for N America, which if I understand it correctly uses the headlights as DRL's.
I wasn't keen to play about in this section because of the big red warning message saying to make no changes unless absolutely necessary as it's possible to render the controller useless, meaning it will have to be replaced.

I found another thread (that's in my bookmarks on the laptop, which I haven't got here at work) and it said about making changes to Bit's in Byte 25 and 18 (I think) that weren't shown as tick boxes. But I tried the ones in Byte 25 and had no luck. For example it said change Bit 3 to a 1 to get full brightness LED DRL's when in Parking Light position, but my Byte 25 was something to do with the wipers or door locks or something, so I guess that was for earlier control modules.

At the moment I've resigned myself to the fact that it's not possible.

As a reminder to others - I was changing various things, one at a time so I could change them back if it didn't work, when I thought I'd try the part that says DRL brightness. I changed it from 100% to 10% just to see what would happen and the LED's didn't light up (or were too dull to see). I changed it back to 100% and they still didn't light up. Luckily I'd made a copy of the original long code and saved it in a Word document. I pasted it back into the long code and bingo, everything back to normal again.
It made me realise that if you're going to make ANY changes with VCDS you should always have the original code written down. Don't just rely on being able to change the tick boxes back manually.
can you send me a long code from word? I can't return mine :(