LED Bulbs causing DAB Radio Interference

Paul McQ

Reaction score
Seeking some help/ideas.

A while back I updated all internal and external lights to LED because I hated the yellow halogen bulbs.

The problem is that unless I'm in an area with a strong DAB signal, the reception drops out. Parked up with engine/lights off DAB radio works fine. Turn on lights and reception drops out.

I've seen YouTube videos suggesting ferrite clips/chokes could be a solution. Anyone tried this and did they work? Also what size is needed as they fit a variety of cable thickness.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi DJAlix,

All front bulbs (incl fogs) + rear reversing bulb were from t8ups. The other rears I bought from Classic Car LEDs website (as some of the bulbs t8ups had would have needed me to cut/file the hole in the lens for the bulbs to fit and I didn't want to do that).

With engine off and radio on I can get DAB stations. As soon as I put the ignition into the first position - and the DRLs come on - the DAB radio reception goes off. Thought I might need some kind of beefed up interference suppressor then saw YouTube videos about using ferrite clips so before heading to an auto-electrician thought I'd see if anyone else had similar issues (65 plate PFL A3 Sportback). Cheers

Never changed rear bulbs so cannot comment on this, I normally retrofit OEM LED clusters.

Personally I would change everything back to stock and then change out for LED's one at a time while testing as you go. Something is of poor quality and causing the issue and you need to work out which and change it. No point in adding items to a poor quality part in order to try and fix the situation.

Reactions: dantdi
That's what I thought, but some of the bulbs are a pain in the backside to change. I guess do it right or not at all. Will start with the front DRLs because as soon as they come on the reception goes off - without any other bulbs being on.

On a separate matter, it was a pity the last Scotland trip didn't work out as I was looking forward to getting the mods I'd messaged you about. May have to plan a trip south in the New Year. Cheers, Paul

Can’t you turn all of the lights off via the switches and turn them on one at a time whilst the radio is playing? (Turn interior front lights on then rear, then external side lights, headlights etc?

...and that's why I like this forum. Much easier than taking out the bulbs - although there must be an issue with the DRL bulbs. I'll be able to see if there are any others causing the problem. Cheers.

Reactions: KieranJ22
Can’t you turn all of the lights off via the switches and turn them on one at a time whilst the radio is playing? (Turn interior front lights on then rear, then external side lights, headlights etc?
Can indeed but this does not isolate individual bulbs. Turning on fog lights might cause the issue for example, but is it one or both the bulbs at fault....

Can indeed but this does not isolate individual bulbs. Turning on fog lights might cause the issue for example, but is it one or both the bulbs at fault....
Well yeah but obviously it’s still faster than taking them out one at a time through process of elimination

Whilst we're on the subject, are there LED bulbs that are direct replacements for the H7 headlight bulbs and/or the H15 main beam bulbs, that simply plug in and don't cause any CANBUS problems? What are the advantages and disadvantages? I guess if anyone will know, it's you, @DJAlix .

Whilst we're on the subject, are there LED bulbs that are direct replacements for the H7 headlight bulbs and/or the H15 main beam bulbs, that simply plug in and don't cause any CANBUS problems? What are the advantages and disadvantages? I guess if anyone will know, it's you, @DJAlix .

aftermarket led bulbs and xenon kits are not road legal. The lenses in the headlight are not designed to disperse the light properly and you will blind oncoming cars. It will be a MOT failure as well.
If you want brighter bulbs go with osram night breakers or the Philips equivalent. Had them on other cars and they were great at night.

Reactions: KenL
Don't deal with headlight bulb replacement / upgrade to be honest. If someone wants LED then I fit OEM LED clusters.

Reactions: Rog_B, AlS3BE and KenL
I find the LED bulbs causing other problems slightly amusing TBH.

The price you pay for fashion and possibly breaking the law I suppose ;-)

Reactions: AlS3BE
Thanks Chaps. I was merely curious, I already use Philips X-treme Vision bulbs. I was just wondering if there was a more modern alternative. Is there an halogen upgrade to the H15 main beam bulb?

I only laugh when somone says here ''illegal , or breaking law n ****.. FACEPALM.. yet all ppl here made expensive tunings and mods am 1000% sure they won't contact insurance they made any mods.. therefore all ppl here running illegat RIGHT KenL ?

If you re-word your question I might then be able to respond. I have no idea what you are asking at the moment, sorry.

I only laugh when somone says here ''illegal , or breaking law n ****.. FACEPALM.. yet all ppl here made expensive tunings and mods am 1000% sure they won't contact insurance they made any mods.. therefore all ppl here running illegat RIGHT KenL ?
Only a fool wouldn't tell their insurance company about mods. BTW LED headlights to replace halogens are illegal if the OP is involved in a serious accident his insurance will be invalid and he will be hammered by the courts in fact insurance will be invalid for any type of insurance claim.

I take it by your post that you haven't told your insurance company.:astonished:

Reactions: KenL
Haha it is not question u silly but ironic question mark but don't worry I know you know how I wrote the sentence...

I'm still confused.

Reactions: KieranJ22
haha so go on and ask audience and u will see so many fools hhaahaha :D according you .. or perhaps fools are those who inform ? I tell you something ; and learn OK boy? you ruk insurance ripoff is round about £500 younger £1000 when they starting right? YOu know how much my dad pays insurance in my EU country??? guess ... £100 a YEAR my dear ! and my brother £200... Here from £500 to £2000 I have feeling that something talking about illegality when those on top can ripoff ordinary ppl but they keeping not paying taxes avoiding taxes.. not paying licences just because they have top posts... pleaasee. Just go n watch some news or FAKE news in TV .. about corrupted businesses etc..
About those LED I see those new SUV cars has so strong LED light which blinding as HELL and they are installed originally from factory.. so talking about illegality only naive scared uk ppl talking about and YET NEVER seen or heard about the police stop any car with dazzling strong LED headlights..
You kind of person some other human being will tell you no no no little booyy u can't doo iit and u ; ok ok ok am soryy ok I will listen you on first woord.. And he actually laughs at you and he is the person who actually do what he wants..
I haven't told?? how do you know ?? how DARE you claiming I haven't? Don't fkin state something when u don't know ok ?? man !!! How u know if I have any moods? Typical uk person only assuming,underrating and underestimating other human beings..
It doesn't matter what you think about uk insurance, it's illegal to fit LEDs in place of halogen bulbs and you should declare all mods to your insurance or you are not insured! Incoherently ranting your wrong opinion doesn't make it right!

It doesn't matter what you think about uk insurance, it's illegal to fit LEDs in place of halogen bulbs and you should declare all mods to your insurance or you are not insured! Incoherently ranting your wrong opinion doesn't make it right!
it is not any ranting it is reality .. you ONLY do it if you have full coverage and brand new car in warranty and ppl still do mods in to it.. but once you have 2nd hand car or category already crashed cars.. even if someone crash into you, ripoff insurance will give you BIG ****.. they will start excuses oh dis is not covered that is not covered too and u ended up with no car and no money ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeking some help/ideas.

A while back I updated all internal and external lights to LED because I hated the yellow halogen bulbs.

The problem is that unless I'm in an area with a strong DAB signal, the reception drops out. Parked up with engine/lights off DAB radio works fine. Turn on lights and reception drops out.

I've seen YouTube videos suggesting ferrite clips/chokes could be a solution. Anyone tried this and did they work? Also what size is needed as they fit a variety of cable thickness.

Any help would be appreciated.