Leather dyeing

Jonathaan

Quattro
Reaction score
Has anybody done it on here?

I have had a browse on the net and have got a good enough idea on how to do it, but was just wondering if anybody had some do's and dont's for me on here lol.

I intend to dye the rear bench and back from a A3 which is currently black and grey to all matte black to match the front Audi A5 seats.

I have come across a seller on eBay who say they can colour match to manufactures colour code's so i intend on giving it a go.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jonny.

Hi mate I'm a leather technician by trade and do this sort of thing on a daily basis, first of all you will need a leather pigment rather than a dye as most leather used in car is a pigmented leather meaning it is coloured with a pigment rather than a dye.

You will also need to prep the leather by stripping the manufactures finish (clear coat) as applying a pigment on top of the finish can cause you adhesion problems.

Then you will need to re seal the leather afterwards, to get the best results and an even coverage you will need to spray the pigment onto the leather so either remove the seats from the car otherwise you will have a hell of a lot of masking up to do.

Reactions: Jonathaan and SL11CKK
I bought some stuff off a seller at AITP a couple of years back, 3 bottles, a cleaner to remove all treatments on seats then a tub of pigment and then a sealer, plan to do these soon but i need to let them stand for 48hrs so will need some decent weather to take the seats out and get to work..

Cheers lads,

Jay, the seats i intend to buy are;

1zph79v.jpg

The seats i am trying to match is the this beauty on the right;

I understand that i will need to wet sand them prior to adding anything, but this pigment....?.... can it be applied with a sponge similar to a dye?

I have being looking on net for some info on this pigmenting malarky but as of yet not found anything, i will drop you a PM regarding getting some pigment or even a kit if thats okay.

And Matty, how much did that kit cost just out of intrest? and good look with the typical english weather :laugh: