Leak from turbo hose/pipe?

Haz123

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

When I put my foot on the accelerator I notice a slight hum/whooshing sound but there is no black smoke or anything like that.

I opened up the bonnet after a relatively long journey (1 hour) and I noticed some oil was dripping off this pipe possibly the turbo hose? See the photo...

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be? My car has just been serviced by Audi last week so I am slightly peeved off it wasn't picked up, is it going to be a costly fix and is it urgent? I need to drive the car next week so won't be able to get it looked at straight away. The car has only done 12,000 miles so I hope it isn't the turbo packing up.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 350
Can't help with what that pipe is but it is noticeably grubby in there for a car with only 12,000 miles on the clock. Does look like oil.

Reactions: Haz123
Those two are your refrigerant lines... DSG by any chance? It's hard to go by just your description, but minor hum/whine is typically normal for DSG, well... at least that's what Audi said... And by putting your foot on accelerator, are you talking about WOT? Or otherwise, turbo hasn't even kicked in yet...

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Haz123
Those two are your refrigerant lines... DSG by any chance? It's hard to go by just your description, but minor hum/whine is typically normal for DSG, well... at least that's what Audi said... And by putting your foot on accelerator, are you talking about WOT? Or otherwise, turbo hasn't even kicked in yet...

No manual TSI...! And by putting my foot on the accelerator, if I accelerate gently I can still here the whistling/whooshing sound..... can't hear it at idle or when my foot isn't on the accelerator...

Thanks for your reply :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
I’d go with air con lines to - put a cloth round where you think the leak/noise is whilst someone sits in and gives it gentle revs to try and establish what is leaking.

Also a zoomed out picture will help determine where you are in the engine bay I’m assuming left when standing facing the grille.

Reactions: Haz123
No manual TSI...! And by putting my foot on the accelerator, if I accelerate gently I can still here the whistling/whooshing sound..... can't hear it at idle or when my foot isn't on the accelerator...

Thanks for your reply :)

Do you have any aftermarket stereo or speaker in the car? Could be bad ground connection causing interferences...

Do you have any aftermarket stereo or speaker in the car? Could be bad ground connection causing interferences...

No, I definitely think its something with the car because it only happens when I accelerate.... Stereo and speaker are all factory

I’d go with air con lines to - put a cloth round where you think the leak/noise is whilst someone sits in and gives it gentle revs to try and establish what is leaking.

Also a zoomed out picture will help determine where you are in the engine bay I’m assuming left when standing facing the grille.

Thanks for your reply, I'll give it a try tomorrow morning, ahhh how annoying is this!

I'm just wondering if this is the air con lines what the whooshing sound is? Or maybe that is completely unrelated and normal... I guess it would be strange not to hear a sound when hitting the gas, its just a whooshing sound which isn't one i have heard before...

Oh just an afterthought if the sounds and the leak are completely unrelated, I did have the AC up high for an hour or so and this was taken right afterwards... could that be it?

But then why would it be oil?

Sorry about the questions, hoping someone can shed some light :salute:

Thanks for your reply, I'll give it a try tomorrow morning, ahhh how annoying is this!

I'm just wondering if this is the air con lines what the whooshing sound is? Or maybe that is completely unrelated and normal... I guess it would be strange not to hear a sound when hitting the gas, its just a whooshing sound which isn't one i have heard before...

Just past that point on your pic are the air con charge and drain ports (I’m pretty sure that’s what they are I’ve just taken the cap off mine) :-

IMG 4198

Also try with air con on full blast set to coldest so system working hardest then with it set to high see if there’s a difference.

TSI's are turbo engines right? my 1.6tdi makes a whoosh noise. its the turbo spooling up, sucking in air. iv had this with every turbo engine. Im not a mechanic so god knows what witchcraft goes on in a turbo but I'm pretty sure its normal, obviously depending on the type of woosh!!

Could your leak be condensation on the pipes as they were so cold. your engine bay is quite dirty though. where have you been driving? the dirt doesn't seem like oil to me, more like dirt. Iv had oil go everywhere in a car engine bay before and it doesn't look like yours. Oil is more gooey. yours is for sure just normal engine, road dirt. But for a car with just 12k miles it is quite strange.

Reactions: Haz123 and Rob2k68
TSI's are turbo engines right? my 1.6tdi makes a whoosh noise. its the turbo spooling up, sucking in air. iv had this with every turbo engine. Im not a mechanic so god knows what witchcraft goes on in a turbo but I'm pretty sure its normal, obviously depending on the type of woosh!!

Could your leak be condensation on the pipes as they were so cold. your engine bay is quite dirty though. where have you been driving? the dirt doesn't seem like oil to me, more like dirt. Iv had oil go everywhere in a car engine bay before and it doesn't look like yours. Oil is more gooey. yours is for sure just normal engine, road dirt. But for a car with just 12k miles it is quite strange.

Hmmm, thanks for the message. For some reason I thought it was oil, coming out of the pipe because obviously it was at the joint....

I actually bought the car and have only done a few hundred miles on it so far, should I just give the engine bay a clean then?

I really hope it is just condensation and not something to do with the turbo to be honest! Thank you for the reply :)