LCD or Plasma

a3rick

The Ibis
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me? I'm looking at getting a new tv, something around the 50" size. i was under the impression that Plasma was the way forward but after speaking to someone in Currys he wa saying that lcd was better as they dont suffer from burn in etc. I'm not a techie so a little confused by all this, I did have my eye on an LG 50PK590 for around £600 can anyone help?

Hi, can anyone help me? I'm looking at getting a new tv, something around the 50" size. i was under the impression that Plasma was the way forward but after speaking to someone in Currys he wa saying that lcd was better as they dont suffer from burn in etc. I'm not a techie so a little confused by all this, I did have my eye on an LG 50PK590 for around £600 can anyone help?

Given the choice i would go with the LCD option over PLASMA although nowadays screen burn is less an issue with plasma as the technology has vastly improved, however LCD is still safer (especially for gaming etc) and will also last longer than a plasma screen.

LCDs also suffer less from dead pixels and clouding than plasma's

If you can afford it i would get an LED screen mate, much better whites and colour, but i appreciate they are expensive at the moment.

I currently have the samsung LE52A656 52" LCD 6 Series which is an amazing LCD tv.

Given the choice i would go with the LCD option over PLASMA although nowadays screen burn is less an issue with plasma as the technology has vastly improved, however LCD is still safer (especially for gaming etc) and will also last longer than a plasma screen.

LCDs also suffer less from dead pixels and clouding than plasma's

If you can afford it i would get an LED screen mate, much better whites and colour, but i appreciate they are expensive at the moment.

I currently have the samsung LE52A656 52" LCD 6 Series which is an amazing LCD tv.

Have a look at www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk, you wont find better service anywhere else, they also do free extended warrenties and if anything goes wrong they have an almost no quibble exchange policy, my first 52" tv set was faulty and i had it replaced in just a few days!

I forgot to metion that I mainly watch sports and general tv i dont do much gaming, dont know if that makes any difference. :think:

Plasma uses more power but gives a vastly superior Standard Definition picture (freeview).

If you get the NEO PDP panasonic range there is very little that comes close, I have a 42" one from looking at every TV Currys and Comet had to offer there was nothing quite like them. But it is very dependant on your eyes. The colours tend to be more real and less "washed out" on Plasma. That being said I have a Panasonic LZD85 which is LCD and that is fab for the back room. Lots of the new LED backlit ones have great colours and the blacks are very deep but and its a bit but make sure you watch them for about 5-10 minutes and see if you can cope with the overbright picture.

Also Plasma vitrually never have dead pixels infact I have never ever seen one and I worked at Currys on cutomer service for 7 years in a huge store. In general very very few LCD's have them either now.

Screen burn isn't an issue on good quality Plasmas really, and the tv channels understand more about the tech and have revolving logos etc.

Don't buy on other peoples reccomendations because certain TV's will work best with your eyes and not somebody elses, in general though for reliability stick with Panasonic, Sharp or Toshiba.... but tosh are the weakest picture wise.

Thanks Biggiep, This was prettymuch my understanding but when I spoke to the guy in Currys he said about burn in on an LG(this was after I had seen this model advetised for cheaper) I got the feeling that LCD's were what he made his bonus on. The chaps in Richer sounds asked what I would be watching on the TV and recommended the LG!! so this has confused me somewhat.

I'd go LCD at the moment, the quality seems vastly better than any Plasma I've seen, and I've seen a few mates who've had issues with theirs.

LED is the nuts, but LCD is much better value for money.

I was under the impression that LCD suffered blurring on larger screen sizes? What requirements should I be looking for?

Lcd all the way no blur blacks are black these days and comparing on a personal level my 46" lcd to my sisters 37" plasma theres no way i would have a plasma also the plasma makes my wifes eyes go funny there being the point already made on personal preference ,
also you cant go into a lot of places and view them nicely as nobody in the big retailers bothers to set the TVs up properly unless you ask for the remotes to all of the ones you like and set them yourself ,
dont view them on HD as its an unfair comparison view them standard picture is more true to the quality of the TV.
I always use Sony as i have had faultless service and reliability for 10 years plus you pay more but you get what you pay for and with a 5 year guarantee from sony centres your away
personally i wouldnt deal with the likes of currys and comet due too bad customer service in the past ,
i would rather in that case chance my arm with an internet shop .

In general LG offer a lot of value for money but are very un-reliable compared to other brands.... as are Samsung.

LED tv's are not and I repeat not and LED technology it is simple LED backlighting for an LCD screen which is why the pictures become overbright... to the point where it is almost un-watchable at night with no light on.

On 46" and over LCD's do try and blur the picture these days on standard definition, its not as bad as it used to be where they all pixellated. People seem to think LCD is just naturally a better technology but it really does depend on the use, in general people find Plasma much better if they don't use it as a PC or a static screen. As a testament to Panasonic where I work now we have 4 plasma screens which run 8am to 9:30 every day and have done for 6 years running a slideshow! And the technology has moved forward since then, They say with average viewing a day you should get 15 years.

Don't discount plasma from rumours you have read go and watch them, the neo PDP range are consistently rated higher than any other tv, in fact which report which in general I don't like but offers a good point, 12 of the top ten TV's were Panasonic, the PDP plasmas were rated highest, you have to remember that they took over Pioneers Kuro, and that was the undisputed best TV by miles and still is to this day even though they don't make TV's anymore (they do some re-branded LCD's)

If you go for LCD have a look at the new Quattro range from Sharp I was quite impressed with the new wider gamut of colours. Not cheap mind!!!

had this recent dilemma myself, but in 42" (only a baby). Best way is too see what looks better rather than going off specs, for me I went for panasonic plasma with 400hz, which is funny as im sure the eye to brain communication doesnt work that fast lol, but looks great anyway. I found LCDs to be too bright on whites. Crack on star trek in blu-ray and it looks amazing! also got it wall mounted which is a must!

as said dont be put off by burn in myth, its mostly from the very first plasmas and it doesnt really happen now.

would avoid sony and lg personally. Sony arent that great anymore and found LGs interface to be a bit poor. You dont want laggy menu's and the like

I think I have made my decision, a Panasonic TXP50G20B. After reading reviews and having a demo in two different shops I made my decision it looks fantastic and I firmly believe that certain technologies suit different people,however Plasma won the day for me. The LED's were also very good but very expensive and tend to be 3D which I dont want.

Rule of thumb for me: LCDs for gaming/computer use and plasmas for watching TV/films. :) I tested every LCD/plasma I could find when picking a new TV last October. Plasmas give a much more natural picture with better blacks and high-speed motion IMO. No matter which LCD I looked at, the picture always looked a bit artificial.

I've got a 46G10 and it is a fantastic TV (Blu-rays look incredible) so I think you'll be very happy with your 50G20. :)

Last edited: