LCD or Plasma

Olly_K said:
wtf?

you can NEVER have a big enough tv !

my panasonic plasma just missed out on HDTV, but it does have component which I plumb my media centre into, which does the job

Just purchased myself a huge 50" :eyebrows: Sony HD tv, it makes a big difference from my previous 36" CRT, would never go back now...

Have to declare a intrest in that I am a Pansonic dealer ! But in all screen sizes plasma is vastly better than LCD , LCD is ok ish on the small screens 32" and below or when running with a HD input but try a VHS or less than perfect freeview and they are compromised . Ian

arthurfuxake said:
?????
Was my post in a foreign language? I'm definately getting HD, never any doubt about that! My question is: LCD OR PLASMA. BOTH are HD ready. I don't need a decoder, I have sky+, and I have my tv linked to a wireless media box so I can stream media from my pc or internet. It's the LCD / PLASMA debate though.

Time of the month?

arthurfuxake said:
?????
Was my post in a foreign language? I'm definately getting HD, never any doubt about that! My question is: LCD OR PLASMA. BOTH are HD ready. I don't need a decoder, I have sky+, and I have my tv linked to a wireless media box so I can stream media from my pc or internet. It's the LCD / PLASMA debate though.

Plasma for me, my 43" Pioneer is a year old now, just had the Sky HD fitted but we have a technical problem at the Sky end, for now.

Will let you know.....:blink:

TDI-line said:
Plasma for me, my 43" Pioneer is a year old now, just had the Sky HD fitted but we have a technical problem at the Sky end, for now.

Will let you know.....:blink:
Well our Pioneer is now almost 5 years old and still looks as good as new, so if yours is as good a buy then you will be happy

I have a 50" Panasonic Hidef Plasma and a 42" SD panasonic plasma.

The SD plasma is better watching general digital television (non HD) in my opinion and having both sets I would wait in hindsight until such times as integrated Hi Def tuners are included in the sets themselves bfore purchasing another hidef set.

I also have a 32" Samsung Hidef LCD which is great with X box 360 but pants with general telly.

Got the 3000:1 37" panasonic, looks fine with HD & PS2 etc. New one is 10000:1, but doesn't look as nice to look at IMO

beerglass said:
I have had a panny PWD6 for 3 years now and never been any hassle.
Its a plasma 42".
I also have a LCD samsung HD 32"
This was brought this year.
Which is better....Very easy...the panny. Hands down

I have a xbox 360 connected to the HD LCD and stream HD movies from the windows media centre PC. I also have aload of sony,LG HD demo movies and play that on the LCD screen.
Then connect that to the panny plasma screen and it downscales the HD but still looks amazing.

IMHO my panny is loads better in PQ. The LCD seems to be too sharpe and unreal looking. Makes things look like computer graphics from a PC. The panny is more CRT look and feel. It has much better colour depth.

Yeah you could wait for another technology to come along, but when thats out there be another and another. If everyone did this we wouldn't ever buy anything.
Plus its all specs on paper and not the real world. LCD and plasma is and its NOW not in 1 or 2 years time.
Forget the paper specs go and see them in the flesh. I would only read the reviews for the amount of ports on the front/back and brief description of the pannel.

Ive got the same Panasonic plasma and I agree, the picture quality is superb! Im going to update to a HD screen at Christmas (preferably 1080p) I hope Panasonic decide to make one, I will get that in a flash.

I still prefer plasmas to LCD at the moment

I just brought a nice 32" lcd hdmi ready tv looks amazing specially when im playing xbox 360 also the quality is on normal tv is good and watching films like monsters inc bring out the true clarity. imo samsung and lg are the best panels to go for. check this site out http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/

I got the Hitachi PD5200 because it had 5 stars in what hifi or one of those magazines, it was 7k when it came out!

Quite a long (and old) thread but I didn't want to start a whole new thread...

Isn't it true that all these 'HD Ready' TVs aren't actually proper HD? And if that's true then why rush out and buy 'HD Ready'?

unless it has HDMI connection then will NOT be HD ready!

rich1068 said:
Isn't it true that all these 'HD Ready' TVs aren't actually proper HD? And if that's true then why rush out and buy 'HD Ready'?

Yes thats correct I believe the current HD ready TV's only support 720p

I wouldnt buy anther one until the HD tuners are integrated into the sets and both broadcasts and prerecorded HD DVD's etc are widely available.

BIG IS BEST.

Christmas is coming and so is my Samsung 50" Plasma - oh yes...

The Slug said:
unless it has HDMI connection then will NOT be HD ready!

That's not strictly the case.
A TV needn't have HDMI to be HD capable,but it must have at least one HDMI to display an HD-ready logo !

SKY HD and X-BOX 360 allow you to connect via component cables,so if your TV has component and 720p,they will work fine.

Or I should say,it will work fine until they impose HDCP (copyright protection),at which point you will be screwed without HDMI,as component cannot do HDCP.

co55ie said:
Yes thats correct I believe the current HD ready TV's only support 720p

Firstly,there are a few sets support true 1080p (Sony X range,for example).
But they are bigger sets (37" minimum).
They simply cannot make the pixels any smaller to fit 1080 on a smaller screen.
However,1080p sets only look good with a 1080p signal.
They look crap with a 720p signal.

Seeing as most people won't be viewing 1080p for years to come,you're better with a 720p set,at the moment.

Pioneer have always made the best, and pretty much most expensive Plasmas. I have a Panasonic PW5 37" model which I've had for 3.5 years and the picture is still perfect despite alot of TV and console use. It looks as good as any CRT I've ever seen, in fact better IMO because there is no geometric distortion. Everyone was harping on about screen burn, life expectancy back then, but it's a load of rubbish for a Plasma with domestic use.
My advice don't get one that is 2 big in size, a 42" TV might sound great but is difficult to live with in a moderate size lounge. The bigger the screen, the further back you need to sit to make it comfortable to view!!!

Get the Sony Bravia 32" but make sure it is the model with the Bravia Engine there are some cheaper models out there. I will be getting one after christmas after a long 6 months of comparing.

My 42 inch Panasonic Veira arrives today- Can't wait!

I won't be gettin to bed till 09:00 so you can guarantee they'll deliver it at about half past!

It's certainly gonna make a massive difference from my 10 year old 28 inch Bush!!!

Just decided on a 50" LG Plasma - £1300 delivered via Comet !

Can't wait...

I'm lovin mine!
I must admit, when I first bought and put it up, I thought, we've overdone it
Now, with it properly pushed into the corner it looks 'the tits'
I could never go back now
ENJOY!

gunshow said:
My 42 inch Panasonic Veira arrives today- Can't wait!quote]

Aye I've had one for the last seven months best thing i've ever bought, part from the Audi of course and maybe the missus..........na LOL:icon_thumright:

Good to hear someone whos had one for a bit still lovin it!!!

bowfer said:
Firstly,there are a few sets support true 1080p (Sony X range,for example).
But they are bigger sets (37" minimum).
They simply cannot make the pixels any smaller to fit 1080 on a smaller screen.
However,1080p sets only look good with a 1080p signal.
They look crap with a 720p signal.

Seeing as most people won't be viewing 1080p for years to come,you're better with a 720p set,at the moment.
That's not strictly true.

I can't believe you're the only person on this thread who has mentioned resolution.

DVD-HD and Blueray will both transmit in 1080 pixels resolution. Sky HD will transmit channels in 1080 at the request of the channel operator. Xbox 360 games are a minimum of 720 but many will be 1080. You can bet PS3 will transmit in 1080.

625 lines looks crap on some channels a 768 tv but great on a 1080.

720 lines looks good on a 1080 tv but not great I'll admit.

I think it's a waste of money to buy an LCD tv without getting 1080 lines. You'll only have to upgrade again at a later date. Plus the difference between 768 lines and 625 is literally that mathmatical difference. which is hardly worth paying out over a grand for when a CRT will last forever and Still looks good.

The other issue is the refresh rate. Pointless buying an LCD tv without looking at that spec. 6ms or less is what you want. Any slower and you picture will have bluring on it.

They can't make the pixels smaller?? My laptop has a 13" screen and can fit 800 lines on it so I'm sure they could make a small tv with 1080 lines.

Me...I'm gonna wait until currys only sells 1080 Full HD tvs for cheaper.