LCD or Plasma

arthurfuxake

Controversial & Contradictive
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
Ok,
My old Grundig 32" CRT seems to be playing up(almost couldn't switch it on on Saturday, with 15 england fans sat in my living room!!!) and I'm now looking at getting a new flat-screen telly. I don't want to go any smaller than 32", and don't want anything bigger than 37". I know that I have to go for HD, have read quite a lot about the resolutions and connections etc that go with HD. The only question that remains unanswered is the LCD/Plasma debate. Is it true that Plasma only lasts about 3-4 years and then needs new plasma injected into it? I've read that plasma gives a better picture at the size I'm after, and the're cheaper than LCD, but I'm worried about life-span. Is it better to sacrifice picture quality for longevity?

LCD-Plasma is already old school!
Get HD ready, and also try get a built in Digi decoder. :)

Aldo said:
LCD-Plasma is already old school!
Get HD ready, and also try get a built in Digi decoder. :)

?????
Was my post in a foreign language? I'm definately getting HD, never any doubt about that! My question is: LCD OR PLASMA. BOTH are HD ready. I don't need a decoder, I have sky+, and I have my tv linked to a wireless media box so I can stream media from my pc or internet. It's the LCD / PLASMA debate though.

Plasma, anyday. I have 2 42"'s and they rock over LCDs

But what is their lifespan? The picture quality is better with Plasma, but how long will the plasma last? Will the LCD outlast the plasma? How do you get the plasma re-filled?

Plasma tv being re-gassed is an urban myth (plenty of technical articles on it microscopic plasma cells cannot be 'regassed'.) they should all last 10 years +.
The only issue is screen burn most top end manufacturers have addressed this with clever electronics and thicker phosphor coating.
LCD does not suffer screen burn.

tbh the way electronics advance, you'd be better off buying a new plasma 5 years down the line. My 1st plasma broke after 6 years, the repair bill woul've come to more than a new one itself.
plasma = better picture, bigger sizes, better viewing angles (imo)

I would also add I just recently bought Panasonic 42” plasma for the lounge and a 26” Panasonic LCD for the kitchen at the bigger sizes the LCD suffered with fast movement and colour change. At 32” there is a valid debate on which way to go IMHO plasma gets the nod but only just & LCD is catching up. Both technologies have moved on a lot since their conception, screen burn was a worry but the bigger LCD just had too many fast moving picture gremlins for me which do not exist on my 26” LCD or 42" plasma.

I've searched the Sony website, and it looks like they've given up on Plasma? I can only find one plasma tv, and it's not HD ready???? I'm quite keen on the Panasonic plasma's, I popped into an independant audio/visual shop during lunch and saw a fantastic 42" Panasonic plasma. I just can't deside whether it'll be too big for my lounge.

arthurfuxake said:
I just can't deside whether it'll be too big for my lounge.
wtf?

you can NEVER have a big enough tv !

my panasonic plasma just missed out on HDTV, but it does have component which I plumb my media centre into, which does the job

We have a Pioneer 436 XDE which has seperate media box which has all you ever need, also 2 x HDMI connections, PC connection, PCMIA card slots etc.... IMHO Plasma is by far the best for quality, the sound is awesome, puts our 5.1 surround to shame!
Plasma's do last 10 years + and its all down to how u setup the screen calibration for making it last longer too, and i get NO burning, whether cheaper brands get this issue more i dont know, but i never had a problem.
Have a read of this, may be of interest.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=20879

I love my Panasonic 42” I thought it might be too big as it was replacing a Philips 36” CRT however it sits a lot further back & closer to the wall which seems to offset its size.

Still waiting for sky to upgrade me to HD but with standard sourced material the picture is fantastic.

Costco have got them cheap at the moment as well .

arthurfuxake said:
Ok,
My old Grundig 32" CRT seems to be playing up(almost couldn't switch it on on Saturday, with 15 england fans sat in my living room!!!)
It's ok... you never missed anything!
icon12.gif

Yeah we thought that 43" was gonna be a bit big, but by god im enjoyin it, lol. Ours isnt wall mounted yet, but will be in soon time soon.

We have had our Pioneer plasma for 4 years now and it still looks fantastic. It cost £4k then but they are much cheaper now
Was recently comparing a 42" panasonic to a 43" pioneer (both plasma) to a 40" sony bravia lcd and certainly on HD source the sony looked the better product(better colour rendition, contrast and edge sharpness) but could not comment on digital artefacts when watching fast moving material :)

i have the sony kdlv 40,lcd,and i had hd installed on saturday,and tbh,in hd,its on a par with a crt,and its great,lcd for me without a doubt,but then i would say that,
i just think the pic is a lot sharper than a plasma,but both have their pros and cons?.

if your tv is on for longer than 6 hrs a day and you want life longer than 4/5 years then its lcd all the way but it depends on the brand thats why you pay more for better brands and pioneer are one of the best out their and any thing which is of a high quality and below 40" you would fine it hard to tell the diffrence, whsmith do a tv mag which compares the tv's on the market you need to fine a budget and shop around inc the net, because you can save £300 my mate did on his lcd and it crystal clear thats a samsung

arthurfuxake said:
?????
Was my post in a foreign language? I'm definately getting HD, never any doubt about that! My question is: LCD OR PLASMA. BOTH are HD ready. I don't need a decoder, I have sky+, and I have my tv linked to a wireless media box so I can stream media from my pc or internet. It's the LCD / PLASMA debate though.

LOL-Oh ok.

LCD :)

LCD or get the CRT repaired and then wait for sdtv which is due alledgely at the end of the year, they will be dear to start off with but like everything will come down in price, its nigh on the same tech as CRT but capable of showing HDTV, my advice is wait

I worked out based on run hours quoted in the manual I could get about 35 years out of my panasonic plasma....

Geordie Mike said:
I worked out based on run hours quoted in the manual I could get about 35 years out of my panasonic plasma....

Yep, must will last a long time, you just need to setup the screen calibration properly, once done this, picture will look fannytastic and last without any burn/rentension. Anyone want a copy of mi DVD pro calibration PM me.

Rich

PS it can also be used for calibrating DVD surrounds too.

Keep ignoring me lads and go waste some money, samsung WS32Z409TQX/XEU is HD ready and is the first to be released based on CRT technology priced at £499 not sure if its out yet or due soon, Havent bothered looking for reviews for that telly but other manafactures will be following soon i would presume.

If you still want one to hang on the wall LCD tv's are more reliable than plasmas with sony Toshiba and panasonic being the top three most reliable.

I still say wait and see whats just around the corner

Bainsyboy, I think you're spot on. I've found them as cheap as £419 delivered, only problem is that no one seems to have any stock. It's not even listed on the Samsung website?

arthurFuxake i would see if you could get your old tv repaired, if its only £50 you should get another year out of it, i dont really rate samsung but thats after having a samsung product that was not very reliable, im sure the samsung is the same as my mates, soon as walked in i thought it was a plasma only to discover that it was a crt unit, the choice is yours but i reckon towards the end of the year the sdtv will hit the streets and if samsung are only wanting the £400+ for there version the rest shouldnt be that more expensive, the only problem you may have is if you want to hang the screen on the wall in which case a plasma or lcd would have to be your choice, i'd go lcd if my telly blew up now and couldnt be fixed, but if it could be fixed i would wait as long as possible.
The HD broadcasts are very impressive but not full prove, but untill HDTV came along a old CRT unit had a better picture than plasma or lcd, so if they are now producing tv's on the old CRT tech to show HDTV i would wait.

Best lcd at moment according to mag i get is the sony KDL-V32a12U
CRT is toshiba 32Z532
The best plasma they reccomend is toshiba42wp56p but it is not HD compatible, so i have no idea why they reccomended it myself, but they claim that it offers consistently good pictures whatever your watching.

If you decide to go plasma or lcd, and no one seems to have mentioned this look out for sound delay, it is the fact that these tellys have a inherent picture delay of 40 to 80 millieseconds but the manfactures fail to make up for this when it comes to sound, the delay is more prononced when connecting to a hi fi.
So if you were watching wimbeldon you would hear the ball being hit before actually seeing it being hit on the screen due to the delay.
If anyone has this problem you can buy audio delay equipment but they are roughly £200 and i have no idea on how well they work.

bainsyboy said:
If you decide to go plasma or lcd, and no one seems to have mentioned this look out for sound delay, it is the fact that these tellys have a inherent picture delay of 40 to 80 millieseconds but the manfactures fail to make up for this when it comes to sound, the delay is more prononced when connecting to a hi fi.
So if you were watching wimbeldon you would hear the ball being hit before actually seeing it being hit on the screen due to the delay.
If anyone has this problem you can buy audio delay equipment but they are roughly £200 and i have no idea on how well they work.

You can change the sound delay on a Sky HD box now - don't always have to use it though.

i thought plasma was almost obsolete, and every lcd picture ive seen seems to be much sharper and viewing angles better, i have a bang & olufsen hd ready beovision 7-40 in the main room which is excellent, and two beovision 6-26 one in the kitchen the other in the bedroom, both of these are lcd and non hd but extremely good, crt still takes some beating i have a beovision 1 that has a better quality picture than the lcd hd ready 26' sharp aquos i use for my game consoles, i would try a sony lcd if i were you i think they are about the best of high street brands and when i used to repair tvs' you would seldom see a sony on your bench.

we have a baird black and white 26 inch telly
go for one of them
:arco:

I agree with BB. Get the CRT fixed & wait another year or two. By then, the sets will be half the price they are now, plus the availability of HD-content will have increased enormously.

Mmm, guy at work just got skyHD and has it hooked up to a Sony Bravia lcd. He say's it the db's, best picture he's seen. Then again, he would say that.

arthurfuxake said:
Mmm, guy at work just got skyHD and has it hooked up to a Sony Bravia lcd. He say's it the db's, best picture he's seen. Then again, he would say that.
But then again he may be right :)

I watched The Gadget Show awhile back and they tested 3 different LCD's to see which was the best, each TV was covered up so to not know which TV is which and the Sony came out last..i think the Samsung did well and im sure it was Philips 2nd..

All the LCD's ive seen are quite pixelated esp in dark areas and with fast moving football etc.. I did think the Bravia was quite good, although in the shops all the LCD/Plasma's arent properly setup! Over coloured etc.. Ever noticed that they have HD running and not SD and its always bright greens, reds, blues etc.. Makes you think wow that looks nice and vibrant, when in fact the colours are way off reality. I reviewed and researched about LCD vs Plasma for a very long time b4 even making a any decision. Also what to remember is SD Tuner, which has the best one, and sound (if you want the speaker of course) and i found that the Pioneer was by far the best! Then again i hear you say, well i would say that wouldn't i, lol

ive got the 40 inch samsung and im well impressed with it, my mum and dad have the 32 inch bravia and i think this samsung is slightly better. only paid 1260 for it :) compared to 2000 for the sony.

lcd btw.

Ok, visited a great shop yesterday, fantastic helpful staff. they dragged their display screens around the shop for me, putting a pioneer 436xde plasma and a sony bravia lcd right next to each other. they fed them both with some german hd broadcast(wasn't pron), and the pioneer was streets ahead. they fiddled around with the settings for the bravia and pioneer, but the lcd didn't come close. only problem is that the pioneer was £2600 WITHOUT speakers(£190) or a stand(£160)!!!! They have got a poineer sxe, which is the same screen, but it hasn't got the seperate media box. The tuner and speakers are all built in(it is a good couple of inches thicker). The sxe also only has 1 hdmi, and if I ever want to wall mount it, I'll need a wall bracket and all the cables will need to be run up the wall. BUT, the sxe is onlt £1900. I'm sold on the plasma, the picture quality is fantastic.

Oh no, you just cant wait to spend your money BUY BUY BUY get out there now and get it, go on whats stopping you.

I have had a panny PWD6 for 3 years now and never been any hassle.
Its a plasma 42".
I also have a LCD samsung HD 32"
This was brought this year.
Which is better....Very easy...the panny. Hands down

I have a xbox 360 connected to the HD LCD and stream HD movies from the windows media centre PC. I also have aload of sony,LG HD demo movies and play that on the LCD screen.
Then connect that to the panny plasma screen and it downscales the HD but still looks amazing.

IMHO my panny is loads better in PQ. The LCD seems to be too sharpe and unreal looking. Makes things look like computer graphics from a PC. The panny is more CRT look and feel. It has much better colour depth.

Yeah you could wait for another technology to come along, but when thats out there be another and another. If everyone did this we wouldn't ever buy anything.
Plus its all specs on paper and not the real world. LCD and plasma is and its NOW not in 1 or 2 years time.
Forget the paper specs go and see them in the flesh. I would only read the reviews for the amount of ports on the front/back and brief description of the pannel.

arthurfuxake said:
Ok, visited a great shop yesterday, fantastic helpful staff. they dragged their display screens around the shop for me, putting a pioneer 436xde plasma and a sony bravia lcd right next to each other. they fed them both with some german hd broadcast(wasn't pron), and the pioneer was streets ahead. they fiddled around with the settings for the bravia and pioneer, but the lcd didn't come close. only problem is that the pioneer was £2600 WITHOUT speakers(£190) or a stand(£160)!!!! They have got a poineer sxe, which is the same screen, but it hasn't got the seperate media box. The tuner and speakers are all built in(it is a good couple of inches thicker). The sxe also only has 1 hdmi, and if I ever want to wall mount it, I'll need a wall bracket and all the cables will need to be run up the wall. BUT, the sxe is onlt £1900. I'm sold on the plasma, the picture quality is fantastic.

Check out the net u=you can get some great prices.