Lava Grey

PhilK

Reaction score
Hi. My wife and I have a one month old A3 Sportback in Lava Grey. Love the car (best Audi out of 4 we've owned) but hate the colour. Cannot prove it, but when deciding what colour to buy I believe (now) that we were shown an Ebony Black A3 but were told it was Lava Grey. Does anyone have any thoughts as to the options available to us ? We really don't like the colour but do want exactly the same spec car in Ebony Black.

Don't think you have many options now. You might have been able to reject the car when you took delivery. I thnk the only option you have is to bite the bullet and keep the colour or just buy another one and take the pain.

hi phil

if i can ask, what is it about the colour you dont like?

am about to place an order for a sportback (i think) but am trying to decide what colour?, dolphin grey, lava grey or met black?

is the lava that off putting? could you post some pics? thx

as said as to the amount of time that has passed you may find it difficult to reject the car now, certainly worth speaking to the dealer, they may have a customer waiting for one, thus can do you a deal, sorry cant offer more assistance

When we were looking at the colours, we knew we wanted 'nearly black', to be offset by the silver alloys and roof bars. The A3 we saw when placing the order for our sportback definitely looked 'nearly black'. What colour our actual car is, is very difficult to say. Most of the time (in good daylight) it looks pearlescent brown, sometimes purply/mauve and occasionally black/grey, but not very often. It is not a bad colour, but we would not have chosen a brown car had we known. Sorry I don't have any pics yet - I'll take some later today. You can see one or two on Audi's website, but it is really difficult to ascertain what the colour actually is without seeing it in the flesh. Btw, there is also a colour 'Espresso Brown' which I believe is a better description of the colour of our car.
Cheers
Phil

hi phil

thanks for the pic, any chance of a side on view? be much appreciated

know what you mean about it looking a bit brown, saw one in the flesh today, not quite the 'ash' black you would expect but more as you say brownie

would be interested to see it side on, with the ali roof rails and maybe some ali mirrors? might make the colour look a bit more subtle?

PhilK, I'd say that's quite dark. Black itself is very dark (and pain in the *** to keep clean), and would look pretty much grey when dirty.

Didn't mean dirty black is grey, but in a negative way. Looking at your picture, that's a lovely color.

- Yak

thanks for the pic phil

have to say even though your not sure on the colour, it does still look good...

think its very much a 'light sensitive' colour, went to the local dealer today and they had 2 lava grey cars, one under their canopy under artifical light and one outside in natural light

the one under the artificial light i have to say looked a bit brown when you start thinking about it, but the one outside did look 'charcoal' grey/black.....

good luck with whatever you do

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Very-much a light-sensitive colour. It's pearlescent - microscopic spheres in the paint reflect light back differently depending upon the light-source and your viewing angle, unlike metallic paint which is more "reflective flakes". Only know this coz I recently got an answer to the difference between the two.
Can sympathise with you though if it's not what you wanted - we had a heck of a job trying to decide on colour - wanted the same as in the A3 brochure but 3 dealerships gave conflicting info; in the end a swift email to Audi C?S at Milton Keynes was answered and confirmed the colour we wanted was.....Lava grey!

I had second thoughts on the colour when i bought mine but now its grown on me and I have no regrets. Its not that bad.

Just looking at the pics, it looks like a very cool colour to me. I went for Akoya Silver, which I am very happy with, but the Lava Grey does look very effective, and will not affect it's re-sale at all like Canary Yellow, or Puke Green at all, so no worries there!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I really like the colour - nearly ordered it myself - did go for ebony eventually, but think Lava grey is more subtle and interesting...

steveb, if you've got a sportback, is there any chance you could post some side on pics of your car? cheers....

btw supersonic, nice combo 1st lava grey s-line that ive seen, looks good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Well Max I'd love to, but sorry, I'm embarassed to admit I haven't actually got it yet - 1st or 2nd week in December - I hope!
Actually ordered brilliant black at first. Dealer told me that "they'd had some problems with b/black" - polish marks - or something. Advised that Ebony was safer bet. Not sure whether this was bull/s or not. Looked at l/grey A3 in showroom next to Ebony A4 s/top. Decided that ebony was a more "definite" colour - that is black is black and "not quite black" is, well, not quite black. But still not sure that it's a bit predictable and that l/grey, as I said is more subtle and "interesting". Glad to post pics when car arrives, if you can wait that long. PS 1 bit of positive advice - read in 1 review that a3 is 1 of the least "colour sensitive" cars and I agree...

I have a Lava Grey S-Line, out of choice, and definitely love it's looks... it has a 'moody' feel to it and makes it look slightly more 'mean', if you know what I mean.

I got Ebony because it does actually look very very dark grey in the sunlight, plus my A4 is in Dolphin. I dont regret it at all (even from a cleaning perspective).

I did see a car at the dealers in Lava and in the sunshine it look great; its very pearlescent..