Launching - best practice?

Gio G

Reaction score
Off to a Mission Motosport event tomorrow in the RS5 and there will be drag runs, 0-60 timings and quarter mile..

The question is whether the launch control procedure is by far the best way to launch? Anyone care to share the best technique for getting away cleanly without bogging down?

Thank G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given that it’s a slush box what other possible method could there be for launching it???

Reactions: nervus
Hard on brake, flat to floor on accelerator, lift brake. The RS4 used to make me literally giddy! I only did it a few times but it launched perfectly every time.

TC one brief press worked best for me rather than holding it for full off.

Tip - you need to judge it right as after a second or two the revs drop away and you can't launch. Protects the car I guess.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Hard on brake, flat to floor on accelerator, lift brake. The RS4 used to make me literally giddy! I only did it a few times but it launched perfectly every time.

TC one brief press worked best for me rather than holding it for full off.

Tip - you need to judge it right as after a second or two the revs drop away and you can't launch. Protects the car I guess.

TX.

Thanks TX! Was looking at some launch videos, not RS5 specific, where they were getting better times without using the launch procedure, I guess it is trial and error..all dependent on many factors..

G

Thanks TX! Was looking at some launch videos, not RS5 specific, where they were getting better times without using the launch procedure, I guess it is trial and error..all dependent on many factors..

G

Even though it doesn't have "proper" LC it definitely launches quicker as described above vs just moving off then WOT.

TX.

Thanks TX,

For the first couple of runs, I just planted the accelerator, then as I began to be more comfortable with the track, I launched it and my word does it make a difference, everything just hooks up... I had to laugh at your comment about getting giddy.. you have to really brace yourself, even as the driver :) They only recorded my first run, which was a bit rubbish - 11.50 quarter mile, so hoping they have stats for my later runs which were much better using LC. Pretty sure it got to around 148mph for the half mile terminal speed in the end..

G

Reactions: Terminator x
For those who care... my best 0-60 - 3.6 seconds, Quarter mile - 10.9 seconds and terminal speed over half mile = 136 MPH..(felt faster) A few run times seem to have gone missing..

My RS5 has no performance modifications and I am quite chubby..

Big thanks to Mission Motorsport..

G

Reactions: Wippers, IanMcA3 and Terminator x
Wait. You're running a 10.9 second quarter mile (1320ft, not 400m) in a completely stock B9 RS5? That's by far the fastest time by over 1.3 seconds. Typically, a stock car runs about 12.2 seconds. There's one other RS5 I know of which ran a low 11 but had a full exhaust and downpipes. Something isn't adding up...