Launching a manual.

Starry

S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:
Reaction score
Now im Apr stage 2 high torque im really happy with my car, it pulls really strongly all the way up to silly speeds. I uprated the clutch a little while ago to a Sachs Organic when i went stage 1.
My question is, how hard do you manual guys launch? i know the s-tronic's gearbox/transmission feeds the power/torque in and this reduces any stresses on the rest of the drivetrain. With the manual though, all the power is directly delivered to the drivetrain in one big blob of power.
I get the car of the line pretty gently to say 5/10mph then just floor it and it picks up and goes pretty well.
Does anyone really launch their manual hard, i.e 4k and get the clutch up as fast as poss?

Do you really need to launch it? Unless you're at Santa Pod, what's the point?

We all need a quick get-a-way at times, but brutally trying to launch a manual it's not going to do your clutch any good. Uprated or not.

Old school manual launches were 3500-4000 revs, and dump the clutch. But Turbo cars are harder to launch that naturally aspirated cars, and AWD car are harder to launch that 2wd cars. I guess, with the advent of DSG, the computers do all the work, so you don't blow the clutch.

With a chipped car, I'd rather feel the benefit of the extra overtaking punch, rather than being able to knock 0.3 secs of the 0-60 time.

Reactions: KenL and Daveotto
Do you really need to launch it? Unless you're at Santa Pod, what's the point?

We all need a quick get-a-way at times, but brutally trying to launch a manual it's not going to do your clutch any good. Uprated or not.

Old school manual launches were 3500-4000 revs, and dump the clutch. But Turbo cars are harder to launch that naturally aspirated cars, and AWD car are harder to launch that 2wd cars. I guess, with the advent of DSG, the computers do all the work, so you don't blow the clutch.

With a chipped car, I'd rather feel the benefit of the extra overtaking punch, rather than being able to knock 0.3 secs of the 0-60 time.

As i said, I don’t launch mine, It was more a question about how hardy the drivetrain is. Even with my get away quick method I’m sure I’m around the 4 seconds to 60...

I believe there is a restriction in the clutch hydraulics to stop you dumping the clutch too fast, possibly to avoid excessive shocking of the drivetrain or engine.
I can't think of any practical situation though where I would want to subject the car to any kind of really aggressive launch from standstill.

Reactions: Starry
I did quite a few launches once I'd bedded the clutch in but not really tried lately.

I've had all 4 wheels spinning on some launches but like above I wouldn't do it to often.

It's just getting it right 3500-4000 rpm but trying to perfect it will eventually end up with something giving up.

A slight rolling launch will probably be the best. I have the 4 paddle Sachs clutch and it's still fine, next time I'm out a may even try one for old times sake Hahaha.

I don't know the s3, but I have compared the 150 TDI and TFSI cars and while the TDI is fine with traditional fairly binary clutch application on launches, the TFSI cars seem to judder a lot. Instead they prefer quite a lot of slip, which I'm always hesitant to provide, but I guess if not done too brutally or often should be OK.

Rather than dump the clutch just slip it for the first second or so then fully release. This gets the car moving and also allows the turbo to spool up ready the full clutch release. Done right it will be ballistic off the line, but it takes a bit of practice to get right and it will also kill your clutch eventually.

I use to do this from time to time in the old 3.2 quattro. The same method still works for NA cars if you can slip the clutch to hold the revs at about the peak torque rpm area. It was fun until one day whilst ripping it off the line the clutch plate got so hot during the slip stage that even with the clutch fully released it barely engaged and drive train. I realised this when changing into second and the revs just flew up to the limiter but the car didnt really accelerate, which was an odd sensation. I put it in 6th and crawled along giving me time to dread that my spontaneous dickhead moment had cost me ££££ for a new clutch and £££ recovery bill. After a few minutes allowing the clutch to cool again the car actually started driving fine. I never did that kind of start again and the clutch did about another 50k miles before finally giving up. To be honest I'd never bother doing this kind of start in my S3 whilst it has a stock clutch, and probably not even with an uprated clutch.

Just remind me why Audi don't roll over and replace clutches under warranty for a full five years or 60000 miles...

Reactions: TYb and Phutters
build revs up to just about 4500 4700 and drop foot off.

its awd it can handle it. at about 360bhp mine out launches the dsg but 1st to 2nd is where dsg catches up (s38p on toyos)

reminder: not responsible for any damage or burnt clutch broken side shafts or diffs and couplers or anything, but have fun, put head back into headrest other wise it hurts

build revs up to just about 4500 4700 and drop foot off.

its awd it can handle it. at about 360bhp mine out launches the dsg but 1st to 2nd is where dsg catches up (s38p on toyos)

reminder: not responsible for any damage or burnt clutch broken side shafts or diffs and couplers or anything, but have fun, put head back into headrest other wise it hurts
S3 only revs to ~3800 unless rolling in gear.

Your car will not redline in neutral!

Hold down ESC for 5 seconds or so it will be in bold rather than saying sport mode. Clutch in and it should red line etc.

Get the car up to temperature first.

Reactions: Leevr
Your car will not redline in neutral!

Hold down ESC for 5 seconds or so it will be in bold rather than saying sport mode. Clutch in and it should red line etc.

Get the car up to temperature first.
Many thanks for the added info.

Reactions: MikeParkin
mine won't redline in neutral unless moving...these cars and their tendencies

Even with my get away quick method I’m sure I’m around the 4 seconds to 60...
I'm assuming you actually mean 60 and not the standard 62, but even so that is seriously quick!!
An Stronic S3 takes 4.6 to reach 62mph, with the manual equivalent a few tenths behind.

I'm assuming you actually mean 60 and not the standard 62, but even so that is seriously quick!!
An Stronic S3 takes 4.6 to reach 62mph, with the manual equivalent a few tenths behind.
The cars should be running getting on for 400bhp now so this helps once it’s off the line. It pulls really strong, the stronic with the same apr stage 2 will get to 62 in 3.5sec’s and are doing the 1/4 mile In under 12 seconds.

Reactions: Ron240
4.6 is the official figure, its a bit quicker than that in reality :D