Launch without launch control

I know I will most likely get shouted at here but my solution to the small delay.....
Left foot braking, just give yourself a slight crossover where you are on both pedals. This allows the revs and turbo to build up just enough to lose the delay. I do left foot brake a lot but very rare at the same time, just when you need to guarantee instant departure.

I tried this out this morning.

It appears to give a slower getaway - when you release the brake - it bogs down briefly (as if there is engine/gearbox electronic protection) - before accelerating.

It will only let you rev to around 1500rpm max - not enough to build any turbo boost to speak of.

Reactions: AL_B
I have a great solution --- buy a manual

:whistle2:

Reactions: Pulp84 and 0B1001001
I think there we are talking cross-purposes here, I fully agree with what you've said above, hence my first reply:
"Yes (there is a difference), depending which Drive Select Mode you are in, speed you are doing, gear you are in etc."

steverobertsbbc asked specifically if the kickdown switch made any difference, say in "S" mode in these 2 scenarios below:

1. 0 - 70mph - Press the throttle all the way down, but not click the kickdown switch
2. 0 - 70mph - Press the throttle all the way down, including pressing the kickdown switch

To which my reply was "No" difference in acceleration or upshift points, the kickdown switch doesn't make it go "all the way to 11" ;)

Aah ok. Hopefully my info answers other's questions :blackrs4:

Reactions: veeeight
1st occasion - After using LC 4 times in a row, after 10 mins cool down, pulled into my road, shifted from D into R to reverse onto driveway - no gear. Lots of revs, but car would not go backwards. Selected N-D-N, waited 2 secs, selected R again, and car moved backwards. Never been able to replicate this again.
I have been dealing with the opposite problem that you have - freezing DSG. A couple of things that have helped me may work for you too. Find a way to generate false neutrals. Once you can do this you can try testing various loads and temperatures. Find the delay putting the car in gear and the bite point on the brake pedal. Once you have these two things you can test them when the temps are very hot.

In 98% of junctions, there is no problem.
Just the 2% of awkward, blind, busy junctions - you just have to accept this small limitation, and look/wait for a bigger gap. That's all.

This is an occasion where 0-60 times mean jack sh1t, and 0-30 times are more relevant.

With LC 0-50kmh 1.7s
Without LC 0-50kmh 2.3s

Half a second in a 30mph sprint feels like an eternity!

(but all the other pluses of DSG outweigh this negative !!)

Sorry to bump an old thread and yeaaaaaaaaaa I've done the search and found this thread lol

Anyone tested a non-lc 0-60mph? What are the times?
Doing a LC isn't practical in everyday driving but I'd like to know how fast it accelerates 0-60mph to compare to other cars.

Reactions: veeeight
Doing a LC isn't practical in everyday driving but I'd like to know how fast it accelerates 0-60mph to compare to other cars.

Add around 0.6 to 1 second for the 0-62 time for a non LC start.

The figures for the 0-31 mph times are on the previous page.

That turbo sure feels like it takes an eternity to spool from idle ;)

Edit:
This post has a video showing both types of launches:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/feedback-from-those-with-s3s-now.203206/page-19#post-2194216

Last edited:
Reactions: Pulp84 and Liquidfusion-S3
Sorry to bump an old thread and yeaaaaaaaaaa I've done the search and found this thread lol

It's not really comparable though as in a manual car you can build up revs, in the S-tronic, you can't. You would never race from idle revs in any car, too much of an initial lag.

I suspect what you are talking about is probably lowdown rolling performance, 5-60mph times. If you're going to the hassle of a 0 launch, you're just aswell as using launch control, if it's slow moving to 60 then yeah you need to compare say 5-60mph times from all cars.

In answer to your question though, yes, it can be around a second slower if trying to get away from idle revs. The idle to on boost revs taking an age.

Reactions: AL_B, veeeight and Liquidfusion-S3
you can build some amount of revs in the dsg/s-tronics because it wont engage the clutch unless you apply throttle so it doesn't stall as your trying to setoff... just thought it was worth pointing out.

I've never had a problem with my DSG when mashing the throttle from a standing start, it still tries to spin the wheels but makes DSG burping/farting noises when the traction control is turned on

Reactions: AL_B