Launch Control?

vidacalavera

Reaction score
For my next newbie question, how do I tell if I have Launch Control?

If you have dsg then yes, if it's manual then no.

Oh right! I do have DSG but I wasn't sure if it was a standard thing. Many thanks.

Use the S setting on the selector. The Owners Manual tells you in detail how to use it.

Yep as above. just put it in s then with your foot on the brake and throttle flat down it'll rev to about 3k ish then take your foot off the brake

If you have dsg then yes, if it's manual then no.

For manual owners,generally no LC.....but that depends!

APR are beginning to offer LC on some of their maps,and mine has it as a selectable setting.
The only thing to remember is what sort of loading the clutch and transmission are getting.

Reactions: grainqey
! have a manual and when its in 1st and I rev it with the clutch in, it doesnt go past 3000rpm. Anyone explain this?

Thanks all for the responses, I've learned a lot and I'm looking forward to trying LC this weekend (Sounds like a manned mission into space or something!).

Isn't it something they added post facelift? I need to check my manual as I thought I didn't have it and never wanted to risk damaging anything by trying it.

! have a manual and when its in 1st and I rev it with the clutch in, it doesnt go past 3000rpm. Anyone explain this?

It's to stop you over revving it essentially.

Your car also won't have LC unless you have aftermarket software.

Ah so it looks like I do have it, although it says "Applies to vehicles with direct shift gearbox AND 6-cylinder engine", does that mean it's a no for my 4-cylinder engine then?

20160128_142742_zpsm8tj7moa.jpg

Thanks all for the responses, I've learned a lot and I'm looking forward to trying LC this weekend (Sounds like a manned mission into space or something!).
We are all friendly and helpful on here. Enjoy the lc :) x

P.S I moved your post out of forum support this morning so you got the info you needed.

Reactions: vidacalavera and S3Alex
You want to try launch control on a stage 2+ car, whole different ball game.

Reactions: grainqey
Yours has got it, stick the car in s, keep your left foot on the brake, press the esp button to off, full throttle with your left foot still on brake and the revs wont go past 3k and simply release your brake, have fun.

Reactions: vidacalavera
Isn't it something they added post facelift? I need to check my manual as I thought I didn't have it and never wanted to risk damaging anything by trying it.
Yours might not not have it, do you have paddles on the steering wheel? I have a mate and he has an auto 2.0 tdi 140 and it doesnt have the same set up, the gear lever is totally different too.

I've got the paddles and the selector is of the later style, but I gave it a go the other day (followed the instructions to the letter) and it didn't seem to like it, engine laboured at first then went up to around 2400, then when I took my foot off the brake the revs dropped and it kinda struggled to get going. Won't be trying it again!

If it labours then it means its picking up the clutch, the kickdown button shouldn't make any difference either.
Just make sure you follow the procedure otherwise you don't have LC

I've got the paddles and the selector is of the later style, but I gave it a go the other day (followed the instructions to the letter) and it didn't seem to like it, engine laboured at first then went up to around 2400, then when I took my foot off the brake the revs dropped and it kinda struggled to get going. Won't be trying it again!
Well the car would not labour at all with the foot brake on, the dsg disengages the clutches with the foot brake on anyway.

Well I'm just telling you what happened
yes mate I get that and just had a moment of wisdom and realised that if the brake is on then the clutches dont release until you release the foot brake, you have to keep the brake pressed until you have you foot completely flat on the throttle and keep it there, the revs wont go any higher than 3k, so maintain it, dont release and press at same time, otherwise its just a normal start.

yes mate I get that and just had a moment of wisdom and realised that if the brake is on then the clutches dont release until you release the foot brake, you have to keep the brake pressed until you have you foot completely flat on the throttle and keep it there, the revs wont go any higher than 3k, so maintain it, dont release and press at same time, otherwise its just a normal start.
Fair enough, I've been reading a lot of conflicting discussions about it, many people saying it isn't on the TDI 140, others saying you have to do it just right. I'm going to Audi dealership on Monday so will try and get a definitive answer then. It's not something I'm fussed about but just curious to know.

Cheers

Fair enough, I've been reading a lot of conflicting discussions about it, many people saying it isn't on the TDI 140, others saying you have to do it just right. I'm going to Audi dealership on Monday so will try and get a definitive answer then. It's not something I'm fussed about but just curious to know.

Cheers
Will be interesting to find out, have to say I've only tried mine 2 times in 2 years of ownership.