Facelift Launch control - savage with great noise

Muggles190

Reaction score
Took the plunge and used the launch control for the first time last night and it is addictive. Scary how quick it takes off . Went for a second run but must have done something wrong as it only went to 2k revs and the clutch was trying to pull away . Bit of a novelty but the grip off of stand still is very impressive . Anyone not used he LC yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took the plunge and used the launch control for the first time last night and it is addictive. Scary how quick it takes off . Went for a second run but must have done something wrong as it only went to 2k revs and the clutch was trying to pull away . Bit of a novelty but the grip off of stand still is very impressive . Anyone not used he LC yet?

I've used it a few times now, good fun. The noise before you launch is pretty cool too, especially when under a bridge/tunnel.

If it's only getting to 2k revs you've just not set it up right for it.

Reactions: Muggles190 and Audi Bairn
Launched a couple times myself and absolutely love it.

Reactions: Muggles190
Never launched mine. I don't like the idea of all that stress being dumped into the transmission.

Reactions: EvOS3
Never launched mine. I don't like the idea of all that stress being dumped into the transmission.

What are you a girl or something?! (Jokes aside, I respect your decision but do yourself a favour and just try it once, it's a blast :racer:)

Reactions: BarryG79 and oli356
I never launched yet. But want too.
I never launched my EvO yet and I’ve owned it for 15 years.

I need too. Plus planning on going stage 2 soon so I need to see the difference..

Reactions: oli356
I never launched yet. But want too.
I never launched my EvO yet and I’ve owned it for 15 years.

Definitely give it a go , it can’t be that bad or it wouldn’t be an option from factory . As for the Evo - I had one and never launched it as I was to scared it would break , mine was like a money pit

Reactions: EvOS3
What are you a girl or something?! (Jokes aside, I respect your decision but do yourself a favour and just try it once, it's a blast :racer:)

Lol, I just have a lot of mechanical sympathy. I don’t really care how fast a car goes from 0-60, it’s all about in-gear acceleration for me when the cars already moving. Everything else is pointless unless you spend all your time at the drag strip.
Whilst I appreciate the engineering etc involved in making a car take off like a scalded cat from a standstill I prefer to save my driveline and clutch packs.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I have not launched mine yet but like to. It's only because I don't know which road to launch it on! I guess I need to find myself a quiet open road.

Not launched my current S3, but launched the previous car once or twice, doesn't really appeal to me to be honest, launched both the RS3 and the TTRS roadster ... .now that was fun in that car RS3 was not bad either

Reactions: keenu and Audi Bairn
Never launched my own car - but done a few launches with Dealer demo's and Audi Open day cars :icon thumright:

Yes they are fun and it is quite astonishing how quickly you get sling shotted off the line :)

Reactions: NevMan, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Not launched my current S3, but launched the previous car once or twice, doesn't really appeal to me to be honest, launched both the RS3 and the TTRS roadster ... .now that was fun in that car RS3 was not bad either

It’s not something I would do often at all but it’s defiantly worth doing , is also a good party piece and even better knowing that clutch wit sh*t itself like a manual - I can only imagine how savage an RS3 launch is

Launched mine loads and never had a issue. Loads better now as well with MRC s-tronic gearbox map and pushing 380bhp and 410ibft. We buy these cars to have fun as long as you service it more regularly and let it warm up correctly then happy days.

Reactions: NevMan
It’s not something I would do often at all but it’s defiantly worth doing , is also a good party piece and even better knowing that clutch wit sh*t itself like a manual - I can only imagine how savage an RS3 launch is

I relate it to the start of this ride at Thorpe Park lol :)

Reactions: Muggles190, Jassyo06, Audi Bairn and 2 others
Still haven’t launched mine, 1st service and tyres are due shortly so may give it a go before then, the opportunity still hasn’t really arisen and don’t want to prang it on a road, my insurance is high enough as it is.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Not launched my current S3.......

Still haven’t launched mine, 1st service and tyres are due shortly so may give it a go before then, the opportunity still hasn’t really arisen and don’t want to prang it on a road, my insurance is high enough as it is.

+1
Had enough fun from my S3 and S5 without launching them.
Not saying I never will but never felt the need tbh.

Reactions: keenu, TYb, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
+1
Had enough fun from my S3 and S5 without launching them.
Not saying I never will but never felt the need tbh.

It’s more of a “wow” factor I think , also shows just how much grip the 4wd has from a standstill as there is next to no wheel spin ( in the dry anyway )

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Snake Pliskin
It’s more of a “wow” factor I think , also shows just how much grip the 4wd has from a standstill as there is next to no wheel spin ( in the dry anyway )

I will give it a go, does it torque steer at all?

Not that I can remember ,obviously I had hold of the steering wheel but it did shock me how it gripped . There is a slight pause after you release the break and then it pins you back

Reactions: TYb
It completely shoots you in a straight line. No need to worry about pranging your car!

Reactions: TYb and oli356

I haven't noticed any torque steer on the S3 or the R32 previously.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and TYb
Launching is fun. Crazy. Tricky to find the right place to do it though.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
you mean to say you don't launch at every stop light?!?! I kid, haha. The 2k rpm behavior you are experiencing, OP, occurs when a condition for LC isnt met. Since you had just done it, temp and esc/sport likely aren't the issue but rather you probably weren't bottoming out the brake.

Reactions: Muggles190 and Audi Bairn