Launch Control - S Tronic

peterw47

Reaction score
Had a search, cannot see that anyone has brought this up yet, surprisingly!

Has anyone tried Launch Control?

Had a skim through the online manual (taking delivery tomorrow!) and P108 it mentions turning off start/stop, hold assist and putting stability to Sport. Gearbox in S, left foot brake, right foot full accelerator and away you go taking foot off brake.

Sounds fun! But I'm wondering if it's actually a thing, does it go into a different mode or just what would naturally happen if you floored it?

If I remember correctly, the manual later states that though possible...its not such a good idea!

Reactions: syed123
Flooring it isn't the same as the launch control which will allow you to launch the car from a standing start at a higher rpm by releasing the brakes than just flooring it from idle, a bit like dumping the clutch at, say, 4000rpm on a manual..

Reactions: KitMan and syed123
I use launch control sometimes.. ;s I have the 8 speed tip as it's the 272 tdi plus it's been tuned.
You don't need to press any fancy buttons to activate the launch or have the gearbox in s or dynamic ( u can launch in comfort!), simply hold the brakes, rev it once then rev it again and the car revs to around 3k, (meanwhile you'll hear the turbo whooshing) let go of the brakes and the earth beneath u shakes and u rocket towards 60 in no time.‎

A friend who had a 252 tfsi loan car said he couldn't figure out the LC on that, strange, pretty sure it would have it.
I haven't launched the car in a while however as when I showed the LC to tdi tuning when it was mapped they advised not to launch it too much as it would put too much strain on the gearbox.
So I've since heeded their advice and not used it for quite a while but when I'm in the mood i'll admit the temptation is just too strong -_-
Would be interesting to see if any members can properly confirm the extent of wear and tear regular launches could actually make on the gearbox..

Not even sure where I would actually be able to try this, road wise!

Plus it isn't really good to do often on a engine pushed towards it's maximum tune, I foresee major dmf, clutch and gearbox issues..

I use launch control sometimes.. ;s I have the 8 speed tip as it's the 272 tdi plus it's been tuned.
You don't need to press any fancy buttons to activate the launch or have the gearbox in s or dynamic ( u can launch in comfort!), simply hold the brakes, rev it once then rev it again and the car revs to around 3k, (meanwhile you'll hear the turbo whooshing) let go of the brakes and the earth beneath u shakes and u rocket towards 60 in no time.‎

Tried this and didn't work, there is no mention of it in the manual either although it does mention the stronic version.

Tried this and didn't work, there is no mention of it in the manual either although it does mention the stronic version.

Doesn't sound right.. left foot brake, right foot hit the throttle, if it sounds like it's not happy to rev on first attempt, let go n then try again (should work this time) revs will reach 3k then u let go and whoosh.. I think try again or take a video (if possible) as I can confirm the 272 can launch with the 8 speed..

Oh so does the LC mode basically just let the engine rev up with the brake on? I assume in a normal scenario with foot on both pedals the engine speed wouldn't increase?

It wouldn't, you are correct in that it will keep the clutches disengaged until you release the brake pedal. There are plenty of youtube videos on this..

@peterw47 - Direct lift from the Owners Manual
tummenupp_zpshfqpcwgs.gif

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/launch-control-limit-fact-or-fiction.245027/#post-2464990

Reactions: KitMan, QUIGGS2001, MrDode and 1 other person
"Only use the launch control program when road and traffic conditrions allow it and other drivers will not be endangered or annoyed by your driving"

haha fantastic!

Reactions: oli356