Launch control on A3 2.0 184 TDI Quattro

Zygote

Reaction score
From searching around it seems like the A3's with stronic and quattro ("wet clutch"?) has launch control support. I couldnt find anything about this in my owners handbook, but Ive seen it mentioned that its in the manual somewhere. Does anyone have more information?

Cheers!

Give it a try, turn off "traction control", hold down the brakes, and push accelerator pedal to the floor, does it rev to approx 4k and holds at that?

If, so, then you have launch control ready, so if you want to launch, just let go of the brake, otherwise, just take your foot off the accelerator to abort the launch.

Is that really 'launch control' though? I thought most cars had a rev limiter like that in neutral. Certainly the last few cars I've had had this and definitely didn't have any kind of proper launch control.

But you aren't in neutral.
Isn't 4k in a diesel almost full revs?
Dave

The gear shifter should be in D/S I assume? Again, Ive read somewhere I cant recall, that the details around the launch control was described in the manual, and that its only valid for the quattro versions with S-tronic.

Coffee hasn't kicked in yet...

I meant 1st gear not neutral. I think it's there to stop you trying to pull away at 7k and lunch the gearbox.

Also I was mainly talking about previous petrol cars I've had.

Launch control on the S3 goes as follows:
Turn off Stop/Start
Turn off ESP/Traction Control
Put gearbox in S mode
Stop car
Hold brake pedal down for 1 second
Plant throttle to the floor revs rise to 4K and hold
Take foot off brake and grin :)

The 4K revs is for Quattro, not sure what FWD is but think 3.2K from memory...not sure if Diesel has it or what revs are for that.

Yes, in the S3, you need to be in Dynamic mode (drive select) too.

I too also thought it only in S3/Golf R, plus other top model in body shape and petrol, eg S5.
Dave

I've found a number of references to supposed launch control on A3s.

S-tronic diesels do have launch controls
Launch Control?
No, the "launch control" on the a3 isn't really launch control as you have to turn the esp off, it just allows you to rev up the engine and drop the clutch like you would in a manual, pointless really unless you have quattro
Launch Control not working?

So I guess I just have to try it out for myself to see what happens. Would still be nice with some confirmation from the manual or someone with more knowledge than I have.

I guess one thing to try is do the above list of things and see if it holds a certain revs then drops the clutch as you say then try it with the ESP on and see if it does the same or doesn't.
I'm sure Audis (VAG in general) wont let the car rev if the brake pedal is depressed so I would imagine if you tried it with ESP on and you have launch control then you will find that the revs don't rise when you bury the throttle.

Many modern cars limit revs when they are in gear (and some also in neutral), not necessarily launch control just there to prevent over revving and engines going bang. Some will also limit max revs on a cold engine.

Pretty sure launching a diesel at 4k revs is not the fastest way to accelerate, probably the fastest way to put excessive wear on the clutch though.

Note, you don't have to turn off ESP, just put it into sport mode (does the 184Q have that?)

Its in the manual. Any stronic above a certain power output has the launch control feature. Its somewhere under the stronic section I think.

As well as alot of blurb about wear and tear, esc has to be in sport mode, ie press once.

In the manual for A3/S3 saloon, traction control is on page 115.

I found details about the launch control in the manual and it turns out my car is indeed equipped with it. I gave it a try and wow... it was way too much fun, haha. Good thing I dont have many appropriate roads nearby to do it on or I'd wear out the car in no time. :)

Reactions: elpaulio and Blackwhite