Launch Control Limit - Fact Or Fiction?

Bristle Hound

Staff member
Reaction score
Do Audi set a maximum limit on how many uses of launch control you can use before it disables? :think: (S-tronic gearboxes)

There seems to be a lot of speculation about a 200 limit, but I can't seem to find any conclusive answers / evidence on ASN or 'tinterweb to prove or disprove the 200 limit :uhm:

Reactions: pburv
I think you have just volunteered yourself to find out on your next car, become the font of all knowledge on the subject :D

Reactions: GW1, Martinbanshee and mickv
I think you have just volunteered yourself to find out on your next car, become the font of all knowledge on the subject :D
@monopole - Thanks for your help!
rolleyes.gif

Before I investigate further, I will await further input from 'those that know', especially those that know a lot more than me ;):D

Reactions: pburv
I asked Audi this question, was told no limit. Also I think it would say in the manual if there was a limit. Surely Audi would have to make it known if there was one.

Below info received from a very reliable 'informant' of mine ;)

'I think in years past, it was a limitation but in the current line up, there's no restriction.

There's certainly a counter, but I think nothing happens when you hit 200, Audi just use it as part of their diagnostic process.

ie If you try and claim for a broken gearbox within 2000 miles, Audi might point to the counter and say that it isn't normal usage'

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
Master tech's at work say there's no limit. They say you should change S-Tronic oil more often if you do them a lot.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and veeeight
How do you even do them ?

BH. You guys could have a
thread, "How many times have you used Launch Control"

Have not read the handbook, I was waiting for the movie to be honest. I know, I know, people will say the book is better.

Reactions: batch and elpaulio
Getting my check list ready:

Checklist goes:
Stop/Start - Disabled
ESP - OFF
Gearbox - S or Manual
Bury Brake Pedal
Bury Throttle
At 4k RPM let go of brake pedal

Chall's, Did you try the Launch Control?

He's not that adventurous ;)

(and only just passed his test :p )

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackwhite
Epic fail, forgot to switch to dynamic and was still in auto, Doh! Needless to say the car did feck all about from Rev to 2k and then not move....

Lost the opportunity due to cars coming up behind me...****.

Tomorrow for another attempt...

I can comfirm that all cars from 2013 have had any limited no. of LC's removed, if the gearbox heats up the car will tell you and you won't be able to then LC. There was a limit apparently on the 1st RS4 Avants but it was before LC was hugely publisised and it wasn't in the owners manual.

Reactions: Simon L, Bristle Hound and RYuill
I can comfirm that all cars from 2013 have had any limited no. of LC's removed, if the gearbox heats up the car will tell you and you won't be able to then LC. There was a limit apparently on the 1st RS4 Avants but it was before LC was hugely publisised and it wasn't in the owners manual.
@GeoffDunk - Thanks Geoff

He's not that adventurous ;)

(and only just passed his test :p )

veeeight, you just might have to go out for a ride with him for Launch Control. :bye:

Reactions: Pulp84 and veeeight
Had another go yesterday, and as previously posted it all happens so quickly I as a driver you don't really appreciate it IMO. I have a dash cam I use for work I shall have to remember to put it in the S3 next time.

Look closely at the boost indicator, wait for it to light up completely to really enjoy the experience! And if your tuned, get ready to hear your tyres screaming!

Ive tried it lots of times. I even think ive done it more than 200 times so the limit thing is BS.

If you're really adventurous, try it on a slightly wet road LOL.

Launch control is for girls.... Get a grip!
Take ur stilettos off and don't slip the clutch..

Reactions: AudiNutta and Audi33
@Bristle Hound Technically, in a DSG/S-tronic box, you have 2 clutches :p

That's twice as good as a manual, right? :p

Reactions: duckduck, Bristle Hound, slayaz and 1 other person
It is ****** fantastic fun !
This was my first attempt... didn't max the boost tho, as cars were approaching, those cars were soon disappearing in my rear view mirror

Is it bad that I must have done LC 50+ times in my car? Everyone seems quite reserved about it.

Reactions: Cymru09
Not launched mine yet.

Shame the * button on the steering wheel can't be programmed to do all of the LC prerequisites in one touch lol. By the time I've thought about it the lights have changed !!

Reactions: Mark_86, AudiNutta, JohnM100 and 2 others
Epic fail, forgot to switch to dynamic and was still in auto, Doh! Needless to say the car did feck all about from Rev to 2k and then not move....

Lost the opportunity due to cars coming up behind me...****.

Tomorrow for another attempt...

So, is this launch control available for all of us S4 owners whether B8. or b8.5..?