Launch Control Issues

J14XOB

Hates Haldex
Reaction score
2014 S3 Sportback:

Attempted to perform a launch control today, Dynamic mode, ESC Off and In Sport gearbox mode.

Just sat and span the tyres, it's sitting on continental SportContact 2's from the dealer.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Bit worrying when your car smells like burnt rubber/gearbox lol!

Sounds like a haldex issue. Have you had the haldex oil change and filter clean done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the car last week, It's book in with an Audi main dealer for the 4th. I haven't a clue when/if it was last done.

Was it bought from a main dealer? If so, you should have at least a years warranty as an approved used purchase to cover any repair costs. Usually it would be the haldex pump that fails and requires replacing in these scenarios.

Your dealer will be able to give you a full service history of the car, it’s all logged on computer.

You used to be able to access that yourself on your own myAudi account, but they have taken it all off now!

Reactions: Hamza_Irfan
If it's been launched "a lot", there's no guarantee they'll replace it under warranty. As they can argue it's not fair wear and tear (based on what many topics on here discuss).

Also make sure your brake and gas pedal are fully pressed down. As otherwise it can sound like they're just spinning g.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It's not from a main dealer sadly. I haven't a clue if the haldex 20k oil change has been done or not.

It's not from a main dealer sadly. I haven't a clue if the haldex 20k oil change has been done or not.

Did you buy it private or from another garage? If so, I would be chasing up the garage you bought it from.

I imagine evans Halshaw would give some sort of warranty or would cover the cost of the repairs.

If they refuse to fix it then you could make up a case to reject the car as it’s faulty, although that’s not the best/easiest route.

Got a 3 month warranty, will call the main dealer in the morning and try get it booked in ASAP and send the bill to Evans halshaw

Another thing I have noticed with the car is a sort of lag from 2nd to 3rd gear in sport mode. It seems to hit red line in 2nd and sit there for half a second before finally changing gear and carrying on accelerating.

Got a 3 month warranty, will call the main dealer in the morning and try get it booked in ASAP and send the bill to Evans halshaw

Before you actually go ahead with the repairs, I would speak to Evans halshaw after you’ve got the diagnostic report and just confirm whether they’d pay for it. Can never rely on dealers to cover things these days, seems most of them will say or do just about anything to avoid paying for things.

Reactions: martin1984
Another thing I have noticed with the car is a sort of lag from 2nd to 3rd gear in sport mode. It seems to hit red line in 2nd and sit there for half a second before finally changing gear and carrying on accelerating.

What mileage is on it? There is a s tronic service required every 40k

It's done 37k I believe. Its booked for a health check on the 4th. Gonna call in the morning and get the gearbox and haldex serviced asap. Cheers

Audi do clean the filter

If you are already spinning then my £1 bet would be on a replacement haldex pump.
Not a big drama but if the gauze (not really a filter per se) has not been cleaned then the pump will overheat and then fail.
I have just had mine replaced by Audi at 32.5k miles and 54months old.
However if the pump has failed then you should already be getting wheel spin quite easily when on full boost in just normal driving. No warning lights are lit on the dashboard but the car will have recorded faults (read thru the OBD port).

In normal driving theres no wheel spin unless it's pedal to the floor in 1st. Hopefully it's fine and won't need replacing

If you are already spinning then my £1 bet would be on a replacement haldex pump.
Not a big drama but if the gauze (not really a filter per se) has not been cleaned then the pump will overheat and then fail.
I have just had mine replaced by Audi at 32.5k miles and 54months old.
However if the pump has failed then you should already be getting wheel spin quite easily when on full boost in just normal driving. No warning lights are lit on the dashboard but the car will have recorded faults (read thru the OBD port).

What fault codes do you get?

OK sounds like maybe the pump just needs cleaned then.
I was getting 3rd gear wheel spin at 70mph on full boost on damp roads.
For the record, the S3 is pants in 2wd mode.

Can't remember the numbers but there were two codes I viewed via Carista, both Haldex specific.
For me to have the car know about traction issues yet keep it all to itself and not illuminate the dashboard is bordering on morally wrong/devious. Part of the appeal of an S/RS is the quattro and to not be told when there is a clear fault...........mmmm. Pretty sure mine went due to excessive use in Andorra and at the time not a place I would want to have suddenly found out I had no quattro.