SQ5 Launch control, anyone?

Meester_Steve

Reaction score
While I know ‘we’ don’t have official launch control, but has anyone tried something similar?
I read on some thread there is a ‘torque converter’ method but it can fry the transmission, which clearly is undesirable.
Might give it a try now the weather is improving slightly unless you folks know of anyone who’s had a bad experience!!
The small boy inside Meester_Steve want to plays with his toys ;)

Reactions: Phil.MC
Having just had my 3.0BiTDi Stage 2 mapped, I'll be interested to see what folk have or are doing in the way of Launching :icon thumright:.

Afaik you just stamp on the brake, stamp on the gas and it holds the revs at about 3k then release the brake. Not proper LC as you say but seems to work. To note that revs die away after a few seconds so you have to launch it quick rather than sit there revving the engine.

Don't ask me how I know :innocent:

TX.

Reactions: Meester_Steve and Phil.MC
@terminator x … with no obvious side effects?
So has your RS4 got the same transmission as 2019 SQ5? Tiptronic, I believe, as opposed to S-tronic, which does have a launch control function as per the manual.

@terminator x … with no obvious side effects?
So has your RS4 got the same transmission as 2019 SQ5? Tiptronic, I believe, as opposed to S-tronic, which does have a launch control function as per the manual.
Yep 8 speed auto box? I had a RS3 before and it had proper LC given the DSG box eg there was a procedure to set it up before it would work vs the RS4 which works in any mode at any time. The RS3 would sit there engine revving but car stood still with LC engaged vs the RS4 which is being held by the brakes eg you can feel the car wanting to pull away in the 4.

I went to Rockingham last year for their 0-200m sprint (with the 4) probably did 20 runs all using the above method (brake, power, release brake) and have had zero side effects at the time or since. Tbf I don't use it on the road for obvious reasons but that particular day it was "abused" with no problems.

TX.

@terminator x ‘abused’??? You’re just showing you care ;)
That is an element (sort of) of what these cars were designed for.
Out of interest, what times were you getting on your runs?

I see sadly that it’s going to be flattened to build more industrial estates.
Shame as I was considering nipping down there in the summer for a play.

@terminator x ‘abused’??? You’re just showing you care ;)
That is an element (sort of) of what these cars were designed for.
Out of interest, what times were you getting on your runs?
3.28s 0-60mph and 7.5s to get to the 200m point at 93mph. Top 20 fastest car the whole weekend!

TX.