Latest Apple CarPlay Options/Offerings

Y11DKB

Reaction score
As per the title really.

I have a 2016 A6 Avant, and I’m looking to install Apple CarPlay, because the Audi MMI is absolute p00p, and seems to have come from 2005.

What are the current options on the market? And does anyone have any experience/recommendations etc?

I’m aware there’s probably a mixture of old threads on this topic already, but no doubt there’s some updated/simpler and more straight forward options on the market now too?

Any pointers are appreciated, thanks!

One of the more expensive installs but worked fine in my 2016 Allroad. Not too difficult to fit and I installed camera at the same time.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

As per the title really.

I have a 2016 A6 Avant, and I’m looking to install Apple CarPlay, because the Audi MMI is absolute p00p, and seems to have come from 2005.

What are the current options on the market? And does anyone have any experience/recommendations etc?

I’m aware there’s probably a mixture of old threads on this topic already, but no doubt there’s some updated/simpler and more straight forward options on the market now too?

Any pointers are appreciated, thanks!
RMC or MIB Media system?

RMC or MIB Media system?
Assuming RMC? Just noticed the software version has it listed?
D40034B2 5E58 410F 831C 6943DBAC5905

Yup, RMC. Requires an Apple CarPlay Box etc
Thought that may be the case, any recommendations? Assuming there’s some cheaper alternatives on the market by now. Not all £500 options ha!

Thought that may be the case, any recommendations? Assuming there’s some cheaper alternatives on the market by now. Not all £500 options ha!
I don't supply these units myself, customers who are not confident in installing normally bring them to me. What I have noticed is there are only a couple of different manufactures for these units and that resellers just slap their logos and markup on them, with a massive markup being added by eBay sellers. Am not a fan of ordering from china but I normally suggest that people order from AliExpress where the units are around £180.00 so if you can be patient you will save a fair amount.

Reactions: J10NMM, blackwood and NevMan
I don't supply these units myself, customers who are not confident in installing normally bring them to me. What I have noticed is there are only a couple of different manufactures for these units and that resellers just slap their logos and markup on them, with a massive markup being added by eBay sellers. Am not a fan of ordering from china but I normally suggest that people order from AliExpress where the units are around £180.00 so if you can be patient you will save a fair amount.
Thanks so much for the help!

I don’t suppose you happen to have a link? To save me ordering the wrong spec/model.

I’ve used aliexpress before, definitely worth waiting and saving a chunk! :relaxed:

Is it a relatively simple install? Happy to try and attack it, sure I can trawl up a guide somewhere :smiley:

I don’t suppose you happen to have a link? To save me ordering the wrong spec/model.

I’ve used aliexpress before, definitely worth waiting and saving a chunk! :relaxed:

Is it a relatively simple install? Happy to try and attack it, sure I can trawl up a guide somewhere :smiley:
I too am interested in recommended units!

Sorry, as mentioned I don’t supply these units so don’t really have anymore information other than what’s posted above.

Reactions: noisy_lightning and 8YARWY
Hi,

Sorry to be a pain and ask what feels like a repeated question, but yet searching doesn't seem to yield me a conclusive answer ...

I have an Audi A6 Allroad 2015 (facelift) with tech pack. Is CarPlay possible in this vehicle. I know Audi officially support it from 2017 onwards, and I think when I first bought the car 3 years ago it didn't seem viable/possible. But I'm wondering if this is still the case?

Many Thanks,

Jonny

Hi,

Sorry to be a pain and ask what feels like a repeated question, but yet searching doesn't seem to yield me a conclusive answer ...

I have an Audi A6 Allroad 2015 (facelift) with tech pack. Is CarPlay possible in this vehicle. I know Audi officially support it from 2017 onwards, and I think when I first bought the car 3 years ago it didn't seem viable/possible. But I'm wondering if this is still the case?

Many Thanks,

Jonny
It depends on a few things but @DJAlix will know. He recently installed it on my car (A6 2018 with tech pack).

Regards
Simon

That looks great, but I think that will only work if Carplay is working in the car. It looks like this adapter converts wired CarPlay to wireless CarPlay?

Excellent news. Thanks for the quick response.

Is this something you offer and how much would it cost? Also dean it be done remotely?

thanks in advance
It is something I offer, official and unofficial. Where abouts are you located?

Reactions: jonnyallroad
Currently located at my parents back bedroom after my wife left me taking all my money with her ‍;)

I’ll PM you my details

I don’t think PM is available for me yet. Maybe I need more posts (moved from vwaudiforums). So how about I post some pics of firmware and the double USB port for others that maybe interested.
222405d90da7dd696280bd7ad1e3a305.jpg

f6c284c6afb71d8c25397f25c6fa8aa4.jpg

6ee4904da32a4c05f340b22497a8ce2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: blackwood
Ask a question, get an answer, get an appointment, get lost on the way there (obviously need a Mac update), get CarPlay.

I think that sums up the last 48 hours pretty well!

Updating your maps from 2017 to 2022 as we speak :)

DF55F5EE 9D27 4D25 ACF2 4392B2037C63

Reactions: blackwood and Bishop187
@DJAlix are you able to activate CarPlay remotely at all please? I have a 2018 C7 with Audi phone box and dual USB connections?
I notice you are in North London and I am in Cheshire do distance is a problem. Can you give me an idea of what’s involved and cost please?
Many Thanks

Reactions: J10NMM
@DJAlix are you able to activate CarPlay remotely at all please? I have a 2018 C7 with Audi phone box and dual USB connections?
I notice you are in North London and I am in Cheshire do distance is a problem. Can you give me an idea of what’s involved and cost please?
Many Thanks
Please give me a call on 07950 737 899 during office hours. Easier to talk than type :)

Well, I'm finally back home and at my computer. I'm sure there are hundreds of posts already praising @DJAlix, but for those watching this thread I thought I'd do an honest review.

Short Version :-

Summary: DJAlix is the exact opposite of an Audi Showroom. ... there's no free latte's and comfy sofa, but everything can be done, and for less money than you expected.

Long Version :-

Firstly, as you will have seen on the thread, his communication is great. When private messaging, there were standard terms and conditions, directions and a few other considerations for prospective customers. Price's and options were clear (for my particular car), so I requested an appointment availability.

It's seriously impressive how he was able to squeeze me in so quickly, but I guess that's because he's got it down to a fine art on how long jobs actually take. I think he must be very busy, which is always a good sign for me.

Today was the day of the appointment. The address was a residential area in north London. Having worked in London, I have some awareness about the atmosphere in different areas of London, so this wasn't a concern for me. I would say to others though, its in a good area, and you won't be greeted by hoodies and the like.

I was greeted downstairs and instructed where to park. To be honest, at this point I was slightly anxious as I realised I would be leaving my car and keys while I was given directions to the local sights, cafes/bars etc. With instruction that it would be approximately 2 hours, and I would be given 20 odd minutes notice that it was nearly ready etc. Fortunately for me, I persuaded myself that it would be fine, he's not going to have survived on this forum so long if he wasn't on the level.

After walking around, I found there was plenty of places to sit and hang out etc. So not a problem there. Also, the area is quite smart so no concerns around walking about with my laptop in a rucksack, phone, watch etc.

I get back to the car, and I'm given the tour of everything that's changed. I'm sure he's well practiced in handing vehicles over, but the tour of the changes we had agreed on (and obviously CarPlay) was very nice. It certainly gave me great confidence that everything we had agreed for the price was done (and even a few freebies thrown in).

We had a nice chat, at this point I still hadn't had a request for any money. I'm a software developer by trade, and a car enthusiast on the side. Our general chat gave me more confidence that he really does know what he's doing. One of the biggest concerns anyone should have about letting somebody (including Audi) update firmware, configuration on their car is what if it goes wrong, and how can it be recovered. Needless to say by this point I had already had the work done (using my faith in this forum), but I was so much more relaxed after our general chat about how in depth his knowledge really is.

I finally insisted he ask me for the money ;) Although I had the cash in my pocket, other sensible payment options were there. I set off, and I'm loving the CarPlay. If you haven't used it before, I suggest you have a look at a friends (in any make of car). My 2015 A6 Allroad doesn't have a touch screen, but 90% of the time I've found the jog wheel works as expected. I'd used CarPlay in many courtesy cars, but somehow it was surreal and awesome to have it in my own (too old - according to Audi) car. I can't recommend both CarPlay and @DJAlix enough. If in doubt go for it, PM and find out what your options and costs are. In my case, it was more reasonable than I expected, and the Quality of Service and confidence in abilities were worth every penny.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Lyons, blackwood, Nathan89 and 4 others
Well, I'm finally back home and at my computer. I'm sure there are hundreds of posts already praising @DJAlix, but for those watching this thread I thought I'd do an honest review.

Short Version :-

Summary: DJAlix is the exact opposite of an Audi Showroom. ... there's no free latte's and comfy sofa, but everything can be done, and for less money than you expected.

Long Version :-

Firstly, as you will have seen on the thread, his communication is great. When private messaging, there were standard terms and conditions, directions and a few other considerations for prospective customers. Price's and options were clear (for my particular car), so I requested an appointment availability.

It's seriously impressive how he was able to squeeze me in so quickly, but I guess that's because he's got it down to a fine art on how long jobs actually take. I think he must be very busy, which is always a good sign for me.

Today was the day of the appointment. The address was a residential area in north London. Having worked in London, I have some awareness about the atmosphere in different areas of London, so this wasn't a concern for me. I would say to others though, its in a good area, and you won't be greeted by hoodies and the like.

I was greeted downstairs and instructed where to park. To be honest, at this point I was slightly anxious as I realised I would be leaving my car and keys while I was given directions to the local sights, cafes/bars etc. With instruction that it would be approximately 2 hours, and I would be given 20 odd minutes notice that it was nearly ready etc. Fortunately for me, I persuaded myself that it would be fine, he's not going to have survived on this forum so long if he wasn't on the level.

After walking around, I found there was plenty of places to sit and hang out etc. So not a problem there. Also, the area is quite smart so no concerns around walking about with my laptop in a rucksack, phone, watch etc.

I get back to the car, and I'm given the tour of everything that's changed. I'm sure he's well practiced in handing vehicles over, but the tour of the changes we had agreed on (and obviously CarPlay) was very nice. It certainly gave me great confidence that everything we had agreed for the price was done (and even a few freebies thrown in).

We had a nice chat, at this point I still hadn't had a request for any money. I'm a software developer by trade, and a car enthusiast on the side. Our general chat gave me more confidence that he really does know what he's doing. One of the biggest concerns anyone should have about letting somebody (including Audi) update firmware, configuration on their car is what if it goes wrong, and how can it be recovered. Needless to say by this point I had already had the work done (using my faith in this forum), but I was so much more relaxed after our general chat about how in depth his knowledge really is.

I finally insisted he ask me for the money ;) Although I had the cash in my pocket, other sensible payment options were there. I set off, and I'm loving the CarPlay. If you haven't used it before, I suggest you have a look at a friends (in any make of car). My 2015 A6 Allroad doesn't have a touch screen, but 90% of the time I've found the jog wheel works as expected. I'd used CarPlay in many courtesy cars, but somehow it was surreal and awesome to have it in my own (too old - according to Audi) car. I can't recommend both CarPlay and @DJAlix enough. If in doubt go for it, PM and find out what your options and costs are. In my case, it was more reasonable than I expected, and the Quality of Service and confidence in abilities were worth every penny.

Thanks again.
Great meeting both you and your car yesterday and thank you for the kind words :)

I’ve had my 2016 Allroad for just over a year, and only discovered in the last couple of days that I can have CarPlay activated in it. Sadly as my car is early 2016, it can’t be done at Audi.

Has anyone who’s had CarPlay activated elsewhere had their car in to Audi since for any warranty work etc? Whilst I accept that getting the MMI firmware updated by someone other than Audi will invalidate any warranty, I’m just curious as to how they tell? Is it the same sort of thing as a TD1 flag after getting a remap? Have Audi ever mentioned it to anyone?

As my car is under warranty, how often do MMI updates come out for older models? What’s the likelihood of them updating the firmware at some stage when it’s in, and overriding the CarPlay install?

I’ve had my 2016 Allroad for just over a year, and only discovered in the last couple of days that I can have CarPlay activated in it. Sadly as my car is early 2016, it can’t be done at Audi.

Has anyone who’s had CarPlay activated elsewhere had their car in to Audi since for any warranty work etc? Whilst I accept that getting the MMI firmware updated by someone other than Audi will invalidate any warranty, I’m just curious as to how they tell? Is it the same sort of thing as a TD1 flag after getting a remap? Have Audi ever mentioned it to anyone?

As my car is under warranty, how often do MMI updates come out for older models? What’s the likelihood of them updating the firmware at some stage when it’s in, and overriding the CarPlay install?

My A7 is on a 64 plate. Had it activated by [mention]DJAlix [/mention] at vagcarcoding about 2 and half years ago. Works great and never had any issues with it.
I service my car at Audi, and I just remind them not to do any MMI firmware updates on my car. Never had any issues from Audi.
They won’t ever update your firmware unless there’s a recall or something like that. Which is what actually happened to me. I got a few recall letters from Audi saying come in, we need to do a firmware update. But I spoke to Alix and he told me I didn’t need it as he had uploaded the most recent firmware already.

I’m about 90% sure it’s not a TD1 as that only to do with engine and gearbox stuff.

But if you want a definitive answer contact Alix. He’s also a site sponsor.

Also the only reason Audi would not honour the warranty would be if you tried to update it yourself and ended up bricking your MMI unit

Reactions: Lyons
Thanks for that.

I sent Alix a message on Facebook over the holidays about doing the update, so hopefully he will be able to do it. It will have to be a remote job though!

Have you done your maps too?