Laptop keeps cutting out.

Must have been pretty ***** in the beginning though chris to be that bad as I've known of much older machines to never have issues like that & there was no sign of the paste, lol.

Was there a nest in there or something then cause to make the fan that bad at cooling it would need to be extremely caked up, seriously caked.

There was dust stuck to the fan blades, and there was some in the little radiator type bit, I wouldn't have said it was THAT bad in honesty, but in hindsight the fan had been working more and more and the bottom of the laptop had been getting hotter and hotter for several weeks. Since I have cleared it the fan runs nice and quiet and it never gets hot underneath :)

Maybe the thermal paste has all dried up and not transmitting heat properly, might be worth a clean with IPA and re-grease.

Flowers IPA?

:tumble:

Seriously, where is this thermal paste used?

Isopropyl Alcohol, its available at any electronics shop, like maplins. Best off getting it online, I get mine from Farnell or Buck and Hickman.

The paste is between the processor and heatsink, you remove the keyboard (on most laptops) and the processor is directly underneath, then remove the heatsink and clean the top of the processor and underside of the heatsink and then reapply a little grease.

It wasnt meant to be condescending so sorry if it came across as that.

This no email notifications on AS is becoming silly now as dont know when updates are made to a thread so can reply, without sitting on site 24/7.

Ditto, just noticed this. :beerchug:

Thanks Chris, it's running pretty cool now so I'm loathed to interfere! but always good to know :icon_thumright: