Laptop help needed

joinerman

Reaction score
My daughter who is an artist & photographer needs a new laptop, we want to get her a new one for crimbo but are clueless on what spec to get her, She has her own website & does a lot of photo editing.

Anyone clued up enough to point in the right direction.

Difficult to answer without the following information

Budget
Mac(Apple) or Windows operating system
Screen size ( more portable or desktop replacement)

This is a good guide: https://digitalphotographycourses.co.za/best-computer-photo-editing/

You can work with slower machines but obviously it can hold you up and can mess with your work flow.

That and going big gives you a little future proofing, if it's blazing fast now, it'll still be acceptable in a few years.

Might be worth asking/digging around on some photography forums, nothing like first hand opinion. Especially on things like panels for colour accuracy, etc.

Reactions: V6_Man
I hate to say it, but a MacBook is what she’ll probably be wanting. $$$$

I would ask her what kind of laptop she requires , If she is currently using an Apple Mac laptop she would want one of these as the software she is using would run on a new Mac. If she has a windows laptop then I suspect you would be looking for a full HD screen , definitely an SSD hard drive , at least 8Gb RAM maybe more , and a fast I5 , I7 Processsor.
You have just missed some good deals on the Black Friday / Cyber Monday but there will be more around on the run upto christmas.
https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=laptop Is a useful site for finding bargains.

Reactions: Ghost
My niece asked me the same question a few weeks ago..she had £500-00 to spend. This has all the good stuff for editing photos for a website, as well as a good amount of RAM for running several programs at once, as well as decent storage. If you have more to spend then go for something with an SSD (soild state drive) and an I7 processor.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8455372

For an artist & photographer a screen with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels won't really cut it. Personally I think the OP would be better looking for a 15.6" display with at least 1920 x 1080

Reactions: Ghost
As suggested just ask her what she would like within budget .Then she will not be disappointed.

More deals will come around before Xmas. My daughter bought a Lenovo 720s the other week . Should have been £750 reduced to £550.
I found the deal for her on Hot UK deals. A very good spec for £550.
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/700-series/Ideapad-720-15/p/88IP7000910.

Upload 2018 12 4 13 45 29

Reactions: V6_Man
Lenovos are good laptops however, imho what you'd need would be either an iMac, a Macbook Pro, Microsoft Surface Book 2 or SurfacePro. Whilst SurfracePro is a portable machine iMac is not. Most of web developers, graphic designers and alike use either of the machines and one of the reasons is their pixel depth and resolution that they both offer.

My brother-in-law is into professional photography (see one attached) and he has an iMac and Surface Pro and will not use anything else.
Haseeb Photo

I know its a bit late but I thought I'd stick me oar in & say - sorry but I DO NOT recommend the Surface Pro - I encounter these all the time in the NHS (I'm IT support in Aberdeen) & almost every one I know of has gone faulty or broken in one way or another. They have particularly flimsy USB sockets on them, keyboard connection problems seem to plague them & they seem to suffer charging problems too.
Just thought I'd mention it. :grumpy:

I also agree that Microsoft Surface Studio 2 is the best PC for photo editing. Well, why I talked it. Let see its specifications:
  • CPU: 2.7GHz Intel Core i7-6820HQ (quad-core, 8MB cache, up to 3.6GHz)
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M (4GB GDDR5 VRAM)
  • RAM: 32GB DDR4
Furthermore, Its screen is easily converted into a digital drawing board, which is very suitable for designers.
Besides Microsoft Surface Studio 2, you can refer to other best PC for Photo Editing!

Thanks,

Ly - Realty Editor