laptop dead :( :(

FranA3

FMDETAILING
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
hi all well my craple macbook has died ( im on my mums laptop) all im getting is a question mark on the screen i had a look online and it says either its forgoten how to boot up or my hard drive is ****** anybody else had this problem with macbook's before and knows how to fix it , its way out of warranty too i think its around 3 years old now

hi all well my craple macbook has died ( im on my mums laptop) all im getting is a question mark on the screen i had a look online and it says either its forgoten how to boot up or my hard drive is ****** anybody else had this problem with macbook's before and knows how to fix it , its way out of warranty too i think its around 3 years old now

Get back to you on this one.

thank you if it is my hard drive then it looks like ive lost over 80 gb of music which has cost me a small fortune gutted if it is :(
Im working on it. Is your music in itunes?

My god, this is the first time I've heard of an Apple product dying. I've had several products from Apply (iPod, iPhone, iMac etc) and had no problems whatsoever. Never even had a problem with performance even after a few years.

Sorry to hear this Fran. Might be worth taking it into the Apple store in St. David's 2? At least if they can repair it, it'll no doubt be cheaper than buying a new one.

when i googled it a few people have had the same thing they say its the hard drive or booting problem , but its the first time ive heard of one dying too matey gutted big time , but know what your saying tho defo cheaper than a new one

when i googled it a few people have had the same thing they say its the hard drive or booting problem , but its the first time ive heard of one dying too matey gutted big time , but know what your saying tho defo cheaper than a new one
I'd be lost without my MacBook Pro, I bet you are gutted. Hope you get it sorted.

oh i am mate truely gutted i miss it like hell im using my mums laptop its soooooooooo slow lol , was looking on ebay for new hard drives they arent that expensive around $80 whatever that is in ££ im more gutted about all my own music that i made but **** happens eh will buy a back up hard drive next time tho

oh i am mate truely gutted i miss it like hell im using my mums laptop its soooooooooo slow lol , was looking on ebay for new hard drives they arent that expensive around $80 whatever that is in ££ im more gutted about all my own music that i made but **** happens eh will buy a back up hard drive next time tho
It's hard learning from mistakes with music, I've been there done that.

If you are to buy a new laptop, I wouldn't go back to Windows, it won't cut it.

yeah i wont be dont worry i love my macbook so fast it doesnt take long at all to start up etc... i will get to the bottom of it and fix it im sure i sure as hell wont just chuck it out its worth too much money to do so lol

yeah i wont be dont worry i love my macbook so fast it doesnt take long at all to start up etc... i will get to the bottom of it and fix it im sure i sure as hell wont just chuck it out its worth too much money to do so lol
Agree.

MACBOOK FTMFW!

i have two a normal macbook which i bought last year to actually work and browse on, and a macbook air just so i can go out and be like oh i got one. The ipad2 serves the same purpose and my iphone because its epic.

no seriously fran if the hard drive busted just order a new one from net they pretty easy to replace, or speak to ash (itwasntme) hes pretty good with computers on here he may be able to advise better

MACBOOK FTMFW!

i have two a normal macbook which i bought last year to actually work and browse on, and a macbook air just so i can go out and be like oh i got one. The ipad2 serves the same purpose and my iphone because its epic.

no seriously fran if the hard drive busted just order a new one from net they pretty easy to replace, or speak to ash (itwasntme) hes pretty good with computers on here he may be able to advise better
I want a MacBook Air.

well today i tryed to boot it off the install disk put it in and nothing happened my mate thinks its defo the hard drive

defiantly harddrive mate, buy new disk wack it in and reinstall... then try and plug the disk in off a usb -sata see if you can retrieve the data if not seal the old harddrive up in a freezer bag. make sure you get out as much of the air out and place in freezer for 2/3hrs get a sata - usb and as soon as you have pulled out of freezer plug into your mac, it may bring the disk back to life for 20-30mins.

sounds extreme but it does work - im an IT engineer/consultant and have used this in the extreme situations of data loss and can work a treat - tho if its completly given up the old way is to send it off to experts and they strip the platters out and rebuild (costly)

Yeap I concur, grab yourself a docking station or cheap usb to sata tool of ebay, range from £10-20, mines invaluable for my IT work, number of drives its helped me with I cant even count, right now I'm low level formatting & surface scanning some nas drives to sell, certainly this will help to determine the issue.

Just realise usb mode doesnt work that well with drive tools like seatools, best to plug directly into a board ide or sata port to diagnose, as it allows full use of a programs diag tools, hence why I have desktop for this job as laptops are not as flexible for these jobs.

Can always send it to me to test on my systems, if can recover data then I will, if not then if its a sata drive, I have some new drives spare I keep in stock incase of client issues, PM if interested.

defiantly harddrive mate, buy new disk wack it in and reinstall... then try and plug the disk in off a usb -sata see if you can retrieve the data if not seal the old harddrive up in a freezer bag. make sure you get out as much of the air out and place in freezer for 2/3hrs get a sata - usb and as soon as you have pulled out of freezer plug into your mac, it may bring the disk back to life for 20-30mins.

sounds extreme but it does work - im an IT engineer/consultant and have used this in the extreme situations of data loss and can work a treat - tho if its completly given up the old way is to send it off to experts and they strip the platters out and rebuild (costly)
thanks for your advice matey much appriciated i will give the freezer trick a try as ive got well over £1000 worth of music on there that ive bought over the years would be a real shame if it all got lost lol but thanks again