Lap Top Issues... Any ideas ? Please help if you can,

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Im not sure if this is in the right section,
My trusty laptop has decided to throw a bit of a mardy...
Randomly its now about 80% full, ( i never let it go above 60%) so im now confuses, I tried to clean up the hard drive, but this never completes. It just gets to about 20% then stays like that ( even if left over night )

Also... more on this site then any other loading pages takes for ever the text bar at the bottom of my screen says something about "google double click " what is this??

Are you getting any error messages on disk clean up? Google doubleclick is ad ware and Its nothing bad..
To be honest letting a drive get 80% full isn't bad either, you can take it up to 90% and in theory it won't make anything slow, have you got a separate drive for your operating system and files or have you just got one drive (C drive)?

There is a C drive and s D drive
i think the D runs the operating system?
Its a Compaq Presario V6000,
I dont get an error message just no progress at all,
It just sits on the second green bar and does nothing else

C drive should/is typically assuming your our on windows your os, how big is each drive?

D is 6GB
C is 106GB is says?
Im running Windows XP

Perform back-up of everything of use to you on the C: drive

C:> format C:

Then you have a clean re-formatted hard drive.

If that works then great, if not then you might want to do the same on your D: drive but that will mean reinstalling your OS and device drivers which is a pain of you don't have the discs, but I still think it's worth doing on Windows machines every 18 months to be honest.

I would only suggest a reformat if it's nessesary to be honest, try doing a registry clean up and instead of using the windows clean up tool get a piece of software called ccleaner,,(its free) CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download
It's a bit of a controversial tool and I know a few people who don't like it, but I've used it for years and its fixed a lot of problems, go through all of the settings and remove all temporary files you can untick anything you don't want it to get rid of. Most importantly, use the registry cleaner and make sure you save a backup (it asks when you use it so just click yes) you won't need it but it's a good failsafe. I'm an IT student and have been tinkering with pcs for many years so in my opinion its worth trying.

If you need any help just post and ill do my best to help you!

It also sounds like your d drive is a recovery partition, what is in it at the moment?

even i am having the same problem not exact but similar to this help me guys...please

First thing i would do is to error check the hard drive.Do this by my computer>right click on c drive>properties>tools>check now>tick both boxes>start>yes>then reboot laptop.
might take a while.
Second thing is to do a virus/malware scan.Malwarebytes is free and brilliant.
Third thing is CCleaner as previously discussed
Fourth thing is to defragment the drive.Can use the built in windows one...start>all programs>accessories>system tools>defrag.
Can use a third party program like diskeeper (which the windows one is based on but costs) or defraggler which is free.Might take a while.
If still the same, back up all your files and do a clean reinstall.

how old is it. going by the size of C: its a fair age. if you can make recovery disks then its better to get a new hard drive.

Last edited:
I doubt very much whether both posters can be ***** to reply.Either that or they still cant get online due to pc probs which is doubtful.