Lane assist

Reaction score
Does anyone know who can help take off the Automatic Lane Assist? I find it SO dangerous.

A few times now I’ve been driving along and moved to the right to overtake a stationary vehicle and the car fights against me thinking I’m straying off course almost bringing me back towards colliding with the parked car. Then that Audi pre-sense thing kicks in sometimes slamming the brakes on!!

I just think it is going to cause me an accident one day.

I know I can take it off by clicking into the menu after startup but that’s a pain to do it every time including after stopping at the petrol station etc so does anyone know if someone (or Audi) can disable it on every startup until I enable it? Basically I don’t ever want it on.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: pocket
Just a thought for the OP.. Are there settings to reduce/increase the sensitivity of the assist package??
First port of call should be your dealership anyway and explain your concerns. I doubt they will be allowed to disable them though as they are part of vehicle safety system.

Does anyone know who can help take off the Automatic Lane Assist? I find it SO dangerous.

A few times now I’ve been driving along and moved to the right to overtake a stationary vehicle and the car fights against me thinking I’m straying off course almost bringing me back towards colliding with the parked car.

Have you tried indicating during the overtake? That will let the car know that you are deliberately moving to the right rather than drifting in your lane and should stop it from fighting against you (in theory, at least).

Reactions: Moots and pburv
I totally agree with the OP; I hate the lane assist - I also think it's dangerous - I checked at the audi garage and they confirmed that as it was a safety (!) issue it could not be permanently disabled through the menu option. Not happy at all ! My only advice is that you can turn it off without going into the menu by holding down the button at the end of the left hand (turn) stalk - it needs to be pressed and held for about 5 secs to disable lane assist. Of course you have to do this again when you re-start the engine.

Reactions: AudiA3Newbie and pburv
Just indicate when overtaking then it doesn’t activate, I don’t see why that’s a big deal?

Reactions: VFR800Essex, A4B9 and AdamInKent
I totally agree with the OP; I hate the lane assist - I also think it's dangerous - I checked at the audi garage and they confirmed that as it was a safety (!) issue it could not be permanently disabled through the menu option. Not happy at all ! My only advice is that you can turn it off without going into the menu by holding down the button at the end of the left hand (turn) stalk - it needs to be pressed and held for about 5 secs to disable lane assist. Of course you have to do this again when you re-start the engine.

Thanks. That’s much easier. I wondered what that button was for.

Just indicate when overtaking then it doesn’t activate, I don’t see why that’s a big deal?

I shouldn’t have to indicate at 3 in the morning on an empty road coming home from work. Indicators are for indicating to other road users not to de-activate Lane assistance in my opinion.

Reactions: Santiago and ADE2000
I shouldn’t have to indicate at 3 in the morning on an empty road coming home from work. Indicators are for indicating to other road users not to de-activate Lane assistance in my opinion.

On the other hand, switching off a safety system when driving at three in the morning doesn’t sound like a sensible thing to do.

You are driving a modern car, which needs to know your intentions. Using the indicators seems a small price to pay for the additional safety of lane assist.

Reactions: Vic20, Pompey_Pip, DreamInCode and 1 other person
I completely agree with you on the downsides of lane assist systems, and the owner should be able to disable it if they want to.
My Mercedes is exactly the same in that it is always on by default and can only be disabled per individual ignition cycle.
The changing lanes to overtake part isnt an issue for me because it only ever made the steering wheel vibrate, but actually does not do this at all now so maybe it has learned my driving style. :)
What completely shocks me any time it happens is when I am leaving a dual carriageway(or motorway) onto a slip road, and the brakes are applied to one side of the car together with a warning on the dash. The whole thing feels quite violent and gives me a major fright!
The system activates at 40mph on my car.
As stated it will not react if I have turned on the indicator prior to carrying out the manoeuvre, but I have always followed the practice that indicators are used to warn other road users or pedestrians of your intentions so there is no need to indicate when I am coming home form my work after midnight when leaving a dual carriageway with no other vehicles in sight. This is a seperate subject/argument so let's not go there. ;)
I think it should be possible to permanently disable this system via the OBD port, but I doubt very much that my dealer would do this for me at my request.

Reactions: AudiA3Newbie and pburv
Sounds like yet another advantage of the 8v PFL! I have Lane Assist but it is off by default and I can turn it on from the button on the end of the turn signal lever. And adjust the sensitivity etc from the MMI.

Reactions: pburv
Sounds like yet another advantage of the 8v PFL! I have Lane Assist but it is off by default and I can turn it on from the button on the end of the turn signal lever. And adjust the sensitivity etc from the MMI.

Same on my Fiesta ST. Hardly ever turn it on.

Reactions: pburv
You can turn the vibrate off in the menu (if it's on) and it will remain off but the actual lane assist as you say comes on every time with ignition cycle.

I understand the indicator part but my first experience was going down a slightly narrower lane and on a corner crossing the middle line slightly and the car suddenly started fighting me - On a motorway on a long journey I think it's a good idea and understand the workings but there are times when it doesn't fit and a lot of my journeys are local routes.

Reactions: AdamInKent
You can turn the vibrate off in the menu (if it's on) and it will remain off but the actual lane assist as you say comes on every time with ignition cycle.

I understand the indicator part but my first experience was going down a slightly narrower lane and on a corner crossing the middle line slightly and the car suddenly started fighting me - On a motorway on a long journey I think it's a good idea and understand the workings but there are times when it doesn't fit and a lot of my journeys are local routes.

It does seem Like there are some roads that are a little problematic, there’s one near me that is quite wide but it has a tarmac line down the left hand side of the lane and it seems to trigger the lane assist sometimes

I have a similar problem with my Golf but it also misreads the road and sometimes reads deviations in the roads as markings :/

I love Lane Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control in my car. Paired with the S-tronic gearbox, the car drives itself most of the time.

I never turn off lane assist, and rarely have issues.

Of course you have to use indicators when lane assist is on, else how do you expect the car to know what you want to do?

Don't be one of those Audi drivers with the reputation of never using indicators...

Reactions: A4B9
When the dealer does the pre delivery inspection its part of it to drain the indicator fluid from the car this is done on all new audi's so you don't have to bother indicating and that is a fact.

Reactions: AudiA3Newbie
I love Lane Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control in my car. Paired with the S-tronic gearbox, the car drives itself most of the time.

I never turn off lane assist, and rarely have issues.

Of course you have to use indicators when lane assist is on, else how do you expect the car to know what you want to do?

Don't be one of those Audi drivers with the reputation of never using indicators...

I do indicate when other vehicles are around but there are times when I’m the only one on the road and don’t need to indicate or the car reads lines in the road that aren’t there and pulls to the left.

I do indicate when other vehicles are around but there are times when I’m the only one on the road and don’t need to indicate or the car reads lines in the road that aren’t there and pulls to the left.
Well, my point was: you need to indicate all the time.

I think his point is that he would if necessary, but on roads where you are on a narrow bend and cross the lines it will try to pull you back to the left - You wouldn't indicate if you're just driving a country lane unless you are overtaking something would you

I'm struggling to get my head around this ridiculous assumption of right ?? with 40 years riding experience and having gained advanced IAM status some 20 years ago and after spending 28 days in intensive care in 2018 following a low speed motorcycle accident , where by the car driver who pulled out to perform a U turn from stationary traffic within my path without indicating , was found to be the Guilty party in court , His excuse was that of the proverbial ( I didnae see him ! )

You my friend should read your highway code book again thoroughly mirror , SIGNAL ,manoeuvre , My legal team employed a forensic investigation at considerable expense and it was deemed in court that had the driver indicated this would have provided adequate warning to the injured party namely myself .

the point of the statement is simple All rules contained within the highway code are legal and binding and should be adhered to >> at all times

I'm struggling to get my head around this ridiculous assumption of right ?? with 40 years riding experience and having gained advanced IAM status some 20 years ago and after spending 28 days in intensive care in 2018 following a low speed motorcycle accident , where by the car driver who pulled out to perform a U turn from stationary traffic within my path without indicating , was found to be the Guilty party in court , His excuse was that of the proverbial ( I didnae see him ! )

You my friend should read your highway code book again thoroughly mirror , SIGNAL ,manoeuvre , My legal team employed a forensic investigation at considerable expense and it was deemed in court that had the driver indicated this would have provided adequate warning to the injured party namely myself .

the point of the statement is simple All rules contained within the highway code are legal and binding and should be adhered to >> at all times

I'm sorry for what you've been through but you are missing the point slightly - as per my previous post, nobody is saying you shouldn't indicate when pulling out, turning etc but the lane assist (and as a motorcyclist you should know better than anyone) will come in to play even on a country lane where you might cross the line because it's narrow etc especially at night and it will suddenly start fighting you and you wouldn't be indicating then would you - That's what people are trying to say about it

Reactions: AudiA3Newbie
Is it possibly a bit of an exaggeration to describe it as a fight? In my experience, the A3’s Lane assist is an easily overridden nudge.
Depends if you have the steering wheel vibrate on - Certainly wasn't expecting it when I first experienced it down a narrow lane on a right hand bend at night - to be fair I'd only had the car a few days and never had lane assist before so had nothing to compare it to.

I generally switch it off for my normal driving but would leave it on for motorway driving/longer distances

I do indicate when changing lanes etc anyway though

First of all I have sympathy for what happened to you....and being an ex biker myself I understand how easy this type of thing can happen.

You as a trained IAM driver should be fully aware that it is not always necessary to indicate. Proper observation and judgement deems when it is necessary, and this is what is taught in advanced driving.
Concerning your incident the car driver absolutely should have indicated, but whether it would have prevented the collision with yourself will never be known. Drivers tend to get the order of sequence wrong in that they indicate first then use their mirror (hopefully) when already committed to the manoeuvre. This is backed up by the frequence of when about to pass a vehicle on a motorway or dual carriageway they will indicate and start to move, only to swerve back into their lane having glanced in their mirror to find another vehicle already occupying the space they wish to move into.

The part of your post I have highlighted in bold is incorrect.
The Highway Code is advisory and is not legally binding in its entirety. Only the rules which are preceeded by "must" or "must not" are legally enforceable, with all others being advisory. The use of indicators comes under the advisory rules.

I realise this is a controversial subject with many having opinions which tend to be either black or white, but it can be much more complex than that.
I hope not to have a long running disagreement with you over this. :)

Reactions: El-Cap, Moots, Sparks43 and 1 other person
You as a trained IAM driver should be fully aware that it is not always necessary to indicate. Proper observation and judgement deems when it is necessary, and this is what is taught in advanced driving. The Highway Code is advisory and is not legally binding in its entirety. Only the rules which are preceded by "must" or "must not" are legally enforceable, with all others being advisory. The use of indicators comes under the advisory rules.
Quite so. When I bought a civic type R back in 2003, Honda included a free 2-day advanced driving course. It was a brilliant couple of days and I learned an awful lot, but the thing that stuck in my mind more than anything concerned the use of indictors. As we approached a T-junction on a deserted north Lincolnshire road, the instructor said "just go left at the top". I indicated left as we approached the junction, slowed down and made the turn without coming to a complete stop (there was no car in sight in either direction and the road was straight). As we pulled away, I thought the instructor was going to say that I should have stopped fully, but he just said "Why did you indicate?" I said, "because I was turning left, of course". Then he said "Ok, I'll put it another way, who were you indicating to?". Then I got it. As said above, indicators are for sending a signal of intent to other road users and pedestrians, not for "telling the car what you are about to do". Lol. You are in control, so the car shouldn't need to be told in advance! Lane assist may not be quite as dangerous as autonomous braking, but probably not far behind. Certainly not my idea of "driver assist". More like another example of the nanny state, which is why many drivers go through the 'performance' of turning it off each and every time they start the car.

Reactions: Ron240
On the other hand, switching off a safety system when driving at three in the morning doesn’t sound like a sensible thing to do.

You are driving a modern car, which needs to know your intentions. Using the indicators seems a small price to pay for the additional safety of lane assist.

I agree with this but it’s not always possible to indicate. for example if you’re swerving to avoid someone stepping out between 2 parked cars, the car might fight you pushing you back towards the pedestrian, and the emergency braking system would kick in. if you were to cross the White lines you dont have time to indicate in that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stirling Floss
I agree with this but it’s not always possible to indicate. for example if you’re swerving to avoid someone stepping out between 2 parked cars, the car might fight you pushing you back towards the pedestrian...
I think there’s an impression building that the lane keeping system fights you. I think it’s worth remembering that, in my experience at least, the lane keep assist is very easy to overcome. (It is a gentle push back on the steering wheel intended to guide an inattentive driver back into lane.)

In the situation that you describe, the Lane Keeping assist would not be enough to push you back towards the pedestrian. (In an emergency situation I am instinctively firm with the steering - as, I assume, are the rest of you - and the Lane Keep assist would not be able to push back against me.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Moots
I think there’s an impression building that the lane keeping system fights you. I think it’s worth remembering that, in my experience at least, the lane keep assist is very easy to overcome.

In the situation that you describe, the Lane Keeping assist would not be enough to push you back towards the pedestrian. (I don’t know about you, but in an emergency situation I am instinctively firm with the steering, and the Lane Keep assist would not be able to push back against me.)
Let’s be honest, It’s barely even a nudge. And you should indicate every time regardless of whether there are other cars on the road. What if there’s a cyclist dressed all in black you’ve not seen, or a pedestrian. Cars on the road aren’t the only consideration and it’s not the big deal it’s being made out to be.

Reactions: 8YA335TDI1STED and AdamInKent
Let’s be honest, It’s barely even a nudge. And you should indicate every time regardless of whether there are other cars on the road. What if there’s a cyclist dressed all in black you’ve not seen, or a pedestrian. Cars on the road aren’t the only consideration and it’s not the big deal it’s being made out to be.

My current VW Tiguan and my dads Audi A8 it’s more than a nudge.

My current VW Tiguan and my dads Audi A8 it’s more than a nudge.

My s3 isn’t, it’s a minor nudge. It’s not like it forces you back into the middle of the road

I've always found if you put enough pressure on the steering wheel it will let you go into the next lane with no hesitation.

So I'm assuming if you jerked the car quickly it would see that as an intentional move and not try to jerk you back in lane.

The only time I've ever found it frustrating is on a newly resurfaced road where it picks up the wrong lane markings and tries to adjust the car.

Other than that I've adjusted my driving style to expect it by either indicating or leaning a bit more on the steering to change lanes.

Reactions: AdamInKent and Moots
Its not too difficult to turn lane assist off if its that much of a pain. You just need to hold the button on the end of the indicator stalk down for 5-8 seconds, and it'll deactivate.

You do have to do it whenever you restart the car, so I tend to only turn off for longer trips, which go on country lanes etc.

Reactions: auzzam_crd
Its not too difficult to turn lane assist off if its that much of a pain. You just need to hold the button on the end of the indicator stalk down for 5-8 seconds, and it'll deactivate.

You do have to do it whenever you restart the car, so I tend to only turn off for longer trips, which go on country lanes etc.
Ahh that's what that thing is, interestingly on some of the pics i noticed the diagram on the left stalk end button is 2 parallel dotted lines, while (maybe newer models?) show a small steering wheel, which I believe it's the same thing, the lane assist button?

No problem at all when you know you're changing lane, not quite that simple when your avoiding a cyclist who's avoiding a pot hole - Sorry mate, didnt have time to indicate and my Audi thought I'd fallen asleep!

My new A3 took control recently while driving in motorway roadworks with very narrow lanes and a concrete barrier. It thought it was too close on both sides of the car and caused the steering to oscillate violently. I didn't have time to switch on the hazard warning lights to indicate the direction of the car because I was pre-occupied fighting with the steering wheel.
It's a great idea in theory but VW have a long way to go before its fit for purpose. It will result in an accident at some point, I'd be interested to know who will be held responsible in the eyes of the law and insurer.

No problem at all when you know you're changing lane, not quite that simple when your avoiding a cyclist who's avoiding a pot hole - Sorry mate, didnt have time to indicate and my Audi thought I'd fallen asleep!
In which case it’s easy to override the Lane assist and steer around the cyclist. The good thing about the Audi system is that it doesn’t beep at you and only gives a light, easily overridden tug on the steering.

Remember that the system is there to prevent people from unintentionally wondering out of lane; which is the cause of accidents. Even if you are the perfect driver, it’s best to encourage the rest of us imperfect drivers to keep it on, as it might stop us from hitting you

In which case it’s easy to override the Lane assist and steer around the cyclist. The good thing about the Audi system is that it doesn’t beep at you and only gives a light, easily overridden tug on the steering.

Remember that the system is there to prevent people from unintentionally wondering out of lane; which is the cause of accidents. Even if you are the perfect driver, it’s best to encourage the rest of us imperfect drivers to keep it on, as it might stop us from hitting you
I have a lot more unexpected events to deal with during my daily drive than people wandering out of lane, this includes unexpected interventions from the lane control system when it mistakes roadwork barriers and poorly removed lane markings, deciding that lanes are somewhere other than where they actually are. Try driving through operation Brock on the M20 when between a lorry and the concrete barrier in the rain while fighting with the steering wheel- scary.

All of this could be overcome by allowing the system to be permanently disabled by the Key driver (if he so chooses). Those that like it can leave it switched on!

Reactions: vatdim