1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. AudiA3Newbie

AudiA3Newbie A3Newbie

Does anyone know who can help take off the Automatic Lane Assist? I find it SO dangerous.

A few times now I’ve been driving along and moved to the right to overtake a stationary vehicle and the car fights against me thinking I’m straying off course almost bringing me back towards colliding with the parked car. Then that Audi pre-sense thing kicks in sometimes slamming the brakes on!!

I just think it is going to cause me an accident one day.

I know I can take it off by clicking into the menu after startup but that’s a pain to do it every time including after stopping at the petrol station etc so does anyone know if someone (or Audi) can disable it on every startup until I enable it? Basically I don’t ever want it on.

Thanks in advance

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. pburv

pburv Registered User

@DJAlix Should be able to give some info on that for you?

4. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Not sure on this one, not had an 8Y to “play with” as yet.

pburv likes this.
  5. pburv

pburv Registered User

Just a thought for the OP.. Are there settings to reduce/increase the sensitivity of the assist package??
    First port of call should be your dealership anyway and explain your concerns. I doubt they will be allowed to disable them though as they are part of vehicle safety system.

6. AdamInKent

AdamInKent Active Member

Have you tried indicating during the overtake? That will let the car know that you are deliberately moving to the right rather than drifting in your lane and should stop it from fighting against you (in theory, at least).

Moots and pburv like this.
  7. jspr45

jspr45 Registered User

I totally agree with the OP; I hate the lane assist - I also think it's dangerous - I checked at the audi garage and they confirmed that as it was a safety (!) issue it could not be permanently disabled through the menu option. Not happy at all ! My only advice is that you can turn it off without going into the menu by holding down the button at the end of the left hand (turn) stalk - it needs to be pressed and held for about 5 secs to disable lane assist. Of course you have to do this again when you re-start the engine.

AudiA3Newbie and pburv like this.
  8. Moots

Moots Registered User

Just indicate when overtaking then it doesn’t activate, I don’t see why that’s a big deal?

A4B9 and AdamInKent like this.
  9. AudiA3Newbie

AudiA3Newbie A3Newbie

Thanks. That’s much easier. I wondered what that button was for.

10. AudiA3Newbie

AudiA3Newbie A3Newbie

I shouldn’t have to indicate at 3 in the morning on an empty road coming home from work. Indicators are for indicating to other road users not to de-activate Lane assistance in my opinion.

ADE2000 likes this.
  11. AdamInKent

AdamInKent Active Member

On the other hand, switching off a safety system when driving at three in the morning doesn’t sound like a sensible thing to do.

You are driving a modern car, which needs to know your intentions. Using the indicators seems a small price to pay for the additional safety of lane assist.

glospete likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Ron240

Ron240 Breaking the stereotype Gold Supporter

I completely agree with you on the downsides of lane assist systems, and the owner should be able to disable it if they want to.
    My Mercedes is exactly the same in that it is always on by default and can only be disabled per individual ignition cycle.
    The changing lanes to overtake part isnt an issue for me because it only ever made the steering wheel vibrate, but actually does not do this at all now so maybe it has learned my driving style. :)
    What completely shocks me any time it happens is when I am leaving a dual carriageway(or motorway) onto a slip road, and the brakes are applied to one side of the car together with a warning on the dash. The whole thing feels quite violent and gives me a major fright!
    The system activates at 40mph on my car.
    As stated it will not react if I have turned on the indicator prior to carrying out the manoeuvre, but I have always followed the practice that indicators are used to warn other road users or pedestrians of your intentions so there is no need to indicate when I am coming home form my work after midnight when leaving a dual carriageway with no other vehicles in sight. This is a seperate subject/argument so let's not go there. ;)
    I think it should be possible to permanently disable this system via the OBD port, but I doubt very much that my dealer would do this for me at my request.

AudiA3Newbie and pburv like this.
  14. glospete

glospete Registered User

Sounds like yet another advantage of the 8v PFL! I have Lane Assist but it is off by default and I can turn it on from the button on the end of the turn signal lever. And adjust the sensitivity etc from the MMI.

pburv likes this.
  15. KenL

KenL Registered User

Same on my Fiesta ST. Hardly ever turn it on.

pburv likes this.
  16. Sparks43

Sparks43 3rd Gear

You can turn the vibrate off in the menu (if it's on) and it will remain off but the actual lane assist as you say comes on every time with ignition cycle.

I understand the indicator part but my first experience was going down a slightly narrower lane and on a corner crossing the middle line slightly and the car suddenly started fighting me - On a motorway on a long journey I think it's a good idea and understand the workings but there are times when it doesn't fit and a lot of my journeys are local routes.

AdamInKent likes this.
  17. Moots

Moots Registered User

It does seem Like there are some roads that are a little problematic, there’s one near me that is quite wide but it has a tarmac line down the left hand side of the lane and it seems to trigger the lane assist sometimes

AdamInKent likes this.
  18. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator It's my birthday

I have a similar problem with my Golf but it also misreads the road and sometimes reads deviations in the roads as markings :/

AdamInKent likes this.
  19. sebtomato

sebtomato Registered User

I love Lane Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control in my car. Paired with the S-tronic gearbox, the car drives itself most of the time.

I never turn off lane assist, and rarely have issues.

Of course you have to use indicators when lane assist is on, else how do you expect the car to know what you want to do?

Don't be one of those Audi drivers with the reputation of never using indicators...

A4B9 likes this.
  20. Fuelnut

Fuelnut New Member

When the dealer does the pre delivery inspection its part of it to drain the indicator fluid from the car this is done on all new audi's so you don't have to bother indicating and that is a fact.

AudiA3Newbie likes this.
  21. AudiA3Newbie

AudiA3Newbie A3Newbie

I do indicate when other vehicles are around but there are times when I’m the only one on the road and don’t need to indicate or the car reads lines in the road that aren’t there and pulls to the left.

22. sebtomato

sebtomato Registered User

Well, my point was: you need to indicate all the time.

23. Sparks43

Sparks43 3rd Gear

I think his point is that he would if necessary, but on roads where you are on a narrow bend and cross the lines it will try to pull you back to the left - You wouldn't indicate if you're just driving a country lane unless you are overtaking something would you

24. KXL

KXL Member

Thought these were BMW drivers? At least it was more noticeably more, from personal experience.