Lag in 2nd gear s4

Chipmunk73

Reaction score
Hi guys,, am running stock s4 2015 dsg.. i have the car in sport mode. most driving is town so dont get to open up much but most of the time i usually in a situation idling in 2nd/3rd at 20 -25 mph hoping for quick response and i floor it and the response feels a bit flat initially is this quite normal without a remap.. am only comparing it to my 2014 s3 manual which seemed to feel like it pinned you in your seat if you dropped it in 2nd and floored it..

It's just the pause while your box decides which gear it wants. If you select the right gear using the flappy paddles there will be no hesitation.

Yes thats the problem.. it feel to flat to accelerate out of 2nd at 20mph by time it picks up.. the fiesta in front has nicked my spot lol.. so if am in 2nd and i floor it .. i lose half a second whilst the dsg thinks na cant drop it in first it aint an option..... i dont use paddles usually never been a fan .. and if car is in 2nd gear i can only use paddles to shift to first or 3rd.. and dropping in first at 20mph just not right..

That doesn't seem right to me - at 20mph in 2nd gear the engine should be at around 3000rpm? Should be plenty of torque at that point and IIRC it won't shift to S3 until somewhere above 30mph if not at WOT.

Reactions: Carlos85
Also, in S mode, there's hardly any delay in selecting gears in response to throttle pressure; reaction is virtually instantaneous.

Doesn't sound right. I have the same engine all be it in an A6 so de tuned compared to yours and mine accelerates like it's in first at those low speeds.

I am booked in at unicorn on Wednesday for a map and i have also just left message with rick@unicorn to see if i would benefit from a box map along with ecu map so hopefully rick will spot any problems when on the dyno

Reactions: jdp1962
2.0 TFSI has same 2nd gear issue when slowing down and if it holds second and you floor it 2-3 seconds of nothing then goes.

Reactions: Chipmunk73
Yep its just a slight pause in the moment when happens but i bet it just feels like 2 to 3 secs with 2.0tfsi but in reality it just a few 10/ths but when your waiting to really take off it feels like eternity...