Lag - Delay - Hesitation

Is this lag in the RS5? It wins from standstill vs Merc c63 and Bmw M4 but is last from 50mph rolling start. This is how my 3TDI 218PS feels, slow to kick down and pull away when on the move.

Is this lag in the RS5? It wins from standstill vs Merc c63 and Bmw M4 but is last from 50mph rolling start. This is how my 3TDI 218PS feels, slow to kick down and pull away when on the move.

You're always going have turbo lag with a diesel.

As for this video, the C63S has a big V8 with a lot more torque. For the standing start the quattro awd will make a big difference. They will all be using launch control so there won't be any lag on start since the revs will be at 3-4k

Reactions: Daggerit

As for this video, the C63S has a big V8 with a lot more torque. For the standing start the quattro awd will make a big difference. They will all be using launch control so there won't be any lag on start since the revs will be at 3-4k

I'd agree. It also depends on other things like what gear the cars were in. It could be that the Merc was already in a lower gear and didn't need to shift down like he says the RS5 did?

If the RS5 is anything like the S4 in terms of launch control, it doesn't really have it (not like an S-Tronic gearbox would). In my experience the closest you can get is to press hard on the brakes and 'preload' the engine and drivetrain prior to launch. But as there's no actual clutch to disengage you don't get a traditional launch control as far as I'm aware.

I'd agree. It also depends on other things like what gear the cars were in. It could be that the Merc was already in a lower gear and didn't need to shift down like he says the RS5 did?

If the RS5 is anything like the S4 in terms of launch control, it doesn't really have it (not like an S-Tronic gearbox would). In my experience the closest you can get is to press hard on the brakes and 'preload' the engine and drivetrain prior to launch. But as there's no actual clutch to disengage you don't get a traditional launch control as far as I'm aware.

It does have a launch function though, driving mode set to Dynamic>stability control off>gearbox in Sport>left foot on brake>floor accelerator>revs will rise and hold at 3k RPM>release brake> launch.

Works pretty effectively on mine considering it's a torque converter auto.

It does have a launch function though, driving mode set to Dynamic>stability control off>gearbox in Sport>left foot on brake>floor accelerator>revs will rise and hold at 3k RPM>release brake> launch.

Works pretty effectively on mine considering it's a torque converter auto.

I did this exact sequence and it still preloaded the whole system, I could tell by the car squatting as the revs rose rather than in my old car where nothing happened at all until you took your foot off the brake.

Does yours squat down when you do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
I did this exact sequence and it still preloaded the whole system, I could tell by the car squatting as the revs rose rather than in my old car where nothing happened at all until you took your foot off the brake.

Does yours squat down when you do this?

Yeah does the same, although I'm pretty sure my 2015 Stronic TTS did the same, perhaps not loading up quite so much but the clutch was engaged and slipping when you held the brake prior to launching it.

Yeah does the same, although I'm pretty sure my 2015 Stronic TTS did the same, perhaps not loading up quite so much but the clutch was engaged and slipping when you held the brake prior to launching it.

Strange, my s-tronic didn't do that if it was launching... It sat perfectly still until I released the brake.

I agree to a certain extent about diesels but my wife's Bmw 430d has virtually no lag. Even 4 cylinder Bmw diesels I have driven have less lag than my 218ps diesel. I do think there's something about how Audi set up their gearboxes.

I agree to a certain extent about diesels but my wife's Bmw 430d has virtually no lag. Even 4 cylinder Bmw diesels I have driven have less lag than my 218ps diesel. I do think there's something about how Audi set up their gearboxes.

I've drive a 330d before and it's a monster. It also has a lot more torque than the 218ps audi (413lb ft vs 295lb ft). Pulling power is always going to be a big factor. The only diesel Audi I've driven is an A7 313BHP biTDI....which had very little lag from a stop or rolling start.

Just jumping in on the conversation as another disappointed customer. Having to anticipate pull-off and just accept that this is the way the cars are is very annoying given that these are high end cars.

Reactions: rich_16 and Kestrel
Just jumping in on the conversation as another disappointed customer. Having to anticipate pull-off and just accept that this is the way the cars are is very annoying given that these are high end cars.
What are you driving?

I've ordered the S4 and after having it for a day test driving I didn't notice any lag on pulling away comparing to my current S3?

Seems a lot of people on here including S4 drivers are/have experienced this though so slightly concerning as I agree you wouldn't expect this from such a car!

I've only got an A3 2.0TFSI but that still shouldn't have the lag.

I am convinced this is all software induced to reduce emissions ..at the expense of performance

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

DTUK do a bolt on to remove the lag . It's 39 quid if you buy the 410 bhp tuning kit at same time

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DTUK do a bolt on to remove the lag . It's 39 quid if you buy the 410 bhp tuning kit at same time

Indeed, the pedalbox is good to use as well. Really improves throttle response.

I don't know how much actual hesitation or lag it would remove from the tiptronic gearboxes as they'll still rely on some rpm's before the transmission really engages initially (hence why dynamic mode idles higher I assume). It would mean the engine revs more quickly I suppose so would help a bit?

Is it not that the cars are pulling away from low speeds in second gear and thus making any turbo lag much more noticeable?

I've just watched a video from a channel that I subscribe to of a new Cayman PDK showing noticeable lag / delay in pulling away from around 5 mph.

The bloke driving says putting it in sport eliminates much of it.

Just a thought.

Here from 9.40

nope. does it from standstill/1st. but yes sticking it in sport does get rid of most of it so thats what i've learnt to do every time i come to a stop (else i just drive around in sport most of the time). not ideal, but imo much safer being able to pull out of junctions/roundabouts without worrying that i'm not going to pull away in time (or too fast)

the funky gibbon - I totally agree. But what I can't get my head around is why some people cant detect this issue in their cars. I have an S4 and have driven the S5 which has the same engine and box and both have the same issue .

I have the ZF 8 speed box on the M140i and think its a fabulous box.

Properly violent in shifting in sport+. it feels seamless and incredibly quick

It's one of the reason i chose the s4.

Is it not that the cars are pulling away from low speeds in second gear and thus making any turbo lag much more noticeable?

I've just watched a video from a channel that I subscribe to of a new Cayman PDK showing noticeable lag / delay in pulling away from around 5 mph.

The bloke driving says putting it in sport eliminates much of it.

Just a thought.

Here from 9.40

Experience this all the time in B8.5 2.0 Tfsi with Stronic when trying to pull away quickly from slow speed... had to pull up to about 5mph once clear foot to the floor and nothing its either the electronics (as there so many in car these days interfering) or the car is in complete sleep mode.
From a standing start though never an issue.

The wife and I have had a new 2.0 TDI S Line Avant and 2.0 TFSI S Line saloon since mid Sept, both Stronic. There is without doubt noticeable lag in the 2.0 TFSI compared to the TDI, we both notice it as we share the cars. The TFSI lag reminds me of my B8.5 1.8T multitronic I had before. I certainly wouldn't call it "dangerous", the wife is comfortable driving it which is saying something, but it is definitely there. I find the 2.0 TDI much more responsive and a more relaxed drive because of it.

3000 miles in on my S4. I don’t notice any real lag .. comparing to outgoing 3.0 xdrive 3 series , it’s just fine ... and I drive around town in efficiency mode ..

My 14 plate A6 ultra was awful for lag at junctions, a few pant changing moments until I realised that when you rolled up to a junction the DSG wasn’t changing down quick enough and was trying pull away in a higher gear and then change down. It’s the only time I ever used the paddles, a quick change down as you accelerated and problem solved.
I have never had a problem in the S4.

All these replies just show how random this is. One says the diesel is fine another says its not. Same for the s4/5.

I’m now 6 weeks and 1700 miles into ownership of my S4. I wouldn’t say the lag is too noticeable however the gearbox is certainly not as quick to react as my previous M235/M135i. Shame as it’s the only weak point I have found so far

It's the worst thing about the car . Always through it into S mode at junctions etc fed up with cars starring at my drivers door at busy roundabouts . It has to be software if S mode eliminates it . Probably a delay set off on pedal position .either a resistance value from position of pedal or it uses different switch . ??

I've had my A4 218 diesel for a year now and the lag is still annoying. I had a 2.0 diesel A3 loaner and that had no lag and was therefore much more fun to drive.

I definitely won't buy another Audi that has the lag, yes you do get used it but you also forget what fun it is to drive without the lag. If they can't solve it then it's goodbye Audi.

Reactions: rich_16
Yep mine does this, it feels as if the clutch disengages as it thinks it’s going to stop, however I’ve read that the S4 does it and that’s the ZF8 so it must be something Audi has built in for whatever reason??

What I find works best for me is to drive with gearbox set in dynamic mode then turn off sports mode so it doesn't rev high all the time.

This reduces the lag to an acceptable level and also keep the ride smooth

We have this in a new Tiguan but as I've said before it's got a lot to do with the individuals perception of what's dangerous. Whilst It's there it's in no way an issue for me.

I guess with a front wheel drive automatic there's a little thing in the mind wanting to avoid spinning the front wheels with too much power. With 4WD it's more press and go with no issues.

im probably going to get shouted down at this, but I have the tdi 190 s-line with a MANUAL gear box and in 1st gear I feel lag aswell, I thought it was my driving style at first but now after 4 months of ownership im confident that its not me and it is the car, as said this is with a manual gearbox not s-tronic.

New B9 S5 SB here. In the US. Hesitation is obvious and unacceptable. This is the 5th Audi I’ve owned and each one has had it share of lag. I owned a 2009 A3 2.0T hatch and the takeoff was horrible. My 2007 A6 4.2 has hesitation but nothing like what I’m experiencing with the car.

I’m going to make a stink about it after 1K miles.

Issues so far with B9 S5
-Homelink not working
-Takeoff hesitation
-Crappy 6” subwoofer

Things I love: Everything else!

Drove an stronic tfsi 190 last weekend, didn't check the settings but didn't notice any lag at all. I understand the diesels are worst.
I was told to lift of the brake gently at a junction to get the ball rolling (something to do with auto brake/stop start etc) but there was no negative effect of the test drive.
How did you find the 190 petrol. Not too many people have posted their opinions on it. Seems to be 1.4 mainly and s4

My previous q7 and Sq5 both had a slight hesitation at roundabouts unless in sports mode.

They both pail into insignificance compared to my C250d Mercedes which is massive. It quite often will get you into brown seat situations on roundabouts even my wife says how it feels dangerous when she’s never mentioned it on any other car..

It’s certainly not an Audi only thing and I’m interested to see what my S4 is like when it arrives.

My last car was a 2013 S5 which was great and no issues with the auto box.

Currently have an RS3 and find the auto fine in this also.

Why have Audi ditched the s-tronic for the new S4 and seamingly fitted an inferior auto box ?

I've heard a lot of negative comments about the auto on the new 4's now.

Not liking the sound of this at all !!!

ZF Transmission was used as the S-Tronic was not adequate to adhere to the Torsional forces.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Iv taken my tfsi 2.0 190 out for a little road trip this weekend and I have found it very difficult to retain a steady speed due to engine hesitation. It might be that I'm used to driving a non turbo but it seems you go to over take and you have to wait for it to wake up then it shoots off trying to make up for lost time. You really need to think about the gaps at junctions. I'm hoping it's due to only having 180 miles on the clock. Don't remember it being like this in my test drive but that was 6 months ago

Twice, separate days, when having the exhaust done out of town I came home the back way, hilly/twisty. :) Went to overtake @ 50/55 mph, tapped into 'sport' & gave it 'welly'. I wasn't too bad, but the other felt like eternity to lift its 'skirt'. Incoming - Pedal box.

Iv taken my tfsi 2.0 190 out for a little road trip this weekend and I have found it very difficult to retain a steady speed due to engine hesitation. It might be that I'm used to driving a non turbo but it seems you go to over take and you have to wait for it to wake up then it shoots off trying to make up for lost time. You really need to think about the gaps at junctions. I'm hoping it's due to only having 180 miles on the clock. Don't remember it being like this in my test drive but that was 6 months ago
Can't think I can ever remember one issue with retaining the speed whatever mode I put the gearbox in. Perhaps I am used to turbos, as you say as I have driven them since 2008, but that car, a mk4 mondeo 2.0l diesel was shocking until I had it remapped...