Facelift Lack of USB ports

Ice

Reaction score
Hey all, so I love my A3 after having owned it for exactly a year. Haven't driven it much since I've had assignments for work that were close to home. I racked up 7500km this year alone! Anyways, that'll be changing shortly and I could use some more power plugs in the car. Currently I have 1 usb port in the center console and the 12v outlet in the dash. These are taken up by my phone and dashcam. now, I need more of these... If only I had known when I was ordering this a year ago...

One of my colleagues told me that he has (2?) more usb ports since it was an option he ticked (he has a PFL A3, I checked the configurator and couldn't find this option besides the pack that adds 12V in the boot).

Can extra usb ports or 12v sockets be retrofitted easily? Company leasing contract states that we are allowed to modify the car as long as we can return it to stock condition when we have to turn it in. (Don't drill in the interior is an example given in the policy) I tried a usb hub in the one usb port that I do have and nothing would charge off of it. :(

- Ice

So what connections do you need?

1. for the deshcam which is using a 12v in the lower center console (and not usb powered)
2. a usb in the center arm rest to charge you phone?

Do you need maybe another usb port or preferably 2 more?

Yes, since I had one laying around, something along the lines of this:
9200000064948741.jpg

But I guess Audi doesn't follow the usb (power related) protocols that closely since it didn't want to power anything on the hub.

So what connections do you need?

1. for the deshcam which is using a 12v in the lower center console (and not usb powered)
2. a usb in the center arm rest to charge you phone?

Do you need maybe another usb port or preferably 2 more?

Yes, something like 2 more usb ports would be awesome :D I guess this isn't usually a problem here since most if not all the cars I see around this forum are (a lot) higher specced than mine, damn getting a little jealous here..

-Ice

For what it worth I have the same connection as you.. In addition to the MMI connector in the arm rest next to the USB port. I think this gives of some power...

Not heard of an extra for more ports.

You can get......
Multi usb cigar adapter

Would that do?

Or multi cigar lighter splitter plus usb

From amazon

Reactions: Schizophonic
could hardwire the dashcam using slace fuse. I suspect you might be able to convert the end of the wire for the hub type thing you have and use that on the end of a slave fuse and power several.

:)

Original rear usb ports retrofit
6277f13c432dea47ee6888d763051bf2.jpg
0a8f44c727bdd76a3e4f9e522a532391.jpg
ad60f873d670ce86b5f5e3b162e67859.jpg
36cb12061cdff8cf90c2c3a45d9c443a.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Reactions: KenL, Schizophonic and Ice
Sadly this is how the back of my center console look like. Reckon the cable is just laying there and I could retrofit nonetheless?

Back center console

-Ice

Interesting! All genuine Audi parts?
Yes, it 's a MY2018/2019 option

5Q0035726L USB hub
Usb poort cover (can't Remember partnumber)
8K0973754B connector usb hub
4G0919321A male connector to 12v connector
000979009E pin for connector usb 1x (repairwire)
000979024e pin male plug 12v 2x

I made an adapter so i didn't need to solder or cut the original wiring.

Reactions: KenL and Tom.H
Sounds interesting. I assume it was pretty straightforward to do. What was approx cost?
Costs around de 30 - 60 euro.

I bought a second hand usb poort complete with ventilation shaft etc. So that was a bit more expensive.

Retrofit (including maling the adapter) takes around 10-20min.

The parts request on here can’t find it !
After my vacation i can look it up for you. Now i don't have any time for it. Need to finish some cars before i go

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

Nice mod. Think I might do it myself. Any idea what current the ports can supply?

I believe the part number for the USB port cover to be 8V0819203B

My dealer looked up the part and couldn't get a price, so don't think it's available to them. Will have to look online. It appears to include the vents as well as the facia plate though, annoyingly.

I have ordered one via eBay it includes the vent and usb hub but no cable. I came from Germany and was about £50 . Thanks for the part no. Though was the only way I found it =)

My dealer looked up the part and couldn't get a price, so don't think it's available to them. Will have to look online. It appears to include the vents as well as the facia plate though, annoyingly.
Thats an even easier retrofit :)

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

I've also just ordered one, without the USB hub (ordered seperately) but with the vents. I'll see what it looks like - looks fine, but if there's any damage to the vents I can also swap my own in.

@RJ-8V - any tips on getting it done? A guide or anything? Does the back panel come off easily, or do you need to take the centre console apart? I have the various parts arriving now.

I've also just ordered one, without the USB hub (ordered seperately) but with the vents. I'll see what it looks like - looks fine, but if there's any damage to the vents I can also swap my own in.

@RJ-8V - any tips on getting it done? A guide or anything? Does the back panel come off easily, or do you need to take the centre console apart? I have the various parts arriving now.
Just use a plastic tool, put it between the side of the faceplate and you will hear a click. Then it comes off very easily. It took me more time to make the adapter cable then placing it in the car.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

Just use a plastic tool, put it between the side of the faceplate and you will hear a click. Then it comes off very easily. It took me more time to make the adapter cable then placing it in the car.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

Fair enough, sounds simple. Will have to dig out my plastic panel prising tools that I have somewhere...

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

I've got most of the bits now - any tips on putting the adapter together? Which pins should connect to which? How do you get the original 12V plug apart to get the repair wires in?

I've got most of the bits now - any tips on putting the adapter together? Which pins should connect to which? How do you get the original 12V plug apart to get the repair wires in?
Out of my head.

12v connector side to usb adapter side
pin 1 goes to pin 2
Pin 2 goes to pin 1

Check it before hand. Red wire from original 12v connector goes to pin 1 on usb side.

You just put the repair wires in, they will click in it.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

Out of my head.

12v connector side to usb adapter side
pin 1 goes to pin 2
Pin 2 goes to pin 1

Check it before hand. Red wire from original 12v connector goes to pin 1 on usb side.

You just put the repair wires in, they will click in it.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

Yeah, the plug I got has the original wires still in so I need to figure out how to get them out first! Tried putting tweezers in the holes either side of each pin but they aren't budging at the moment.

Yeah, the plug I got has the original wires still in so I need to figure out how to get them out first! Tried putting tweezers in the holes either side of each pin but they aren't budging at the moment.
Can you post a photo of it?

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

View attachment 162937

Another thing - why is it that I need 2 of 1 kind of repair wire and 1 of the other?
2 of one kind?

I just bought one and cut it in half. I had the connector pins at home for the other side.

Just buy one of each. You need Total of four pins, so just two wires. The wires have a pin on each end.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

You had 2x next to one on your list! Never mind.