Lack of power

s5joe

Reaction score
I am convinced there is something wrong with my S3 i just don't seem to get the same performance from it and my mpg has dropped i am lucky to get 30mpg on a long run on the motorway. do these suffer from the same problem as the old ones with the diverter valve splitting.

I am convinced there is something wrong with my S3 i just don't seem to get the same performance from it and my mpg has dropped i am lucky to get 30mpg on a long run on the motorway. do these suffer from the same problem as the old ones with the diverter valve splitting.
Ive had the same thing with mine for months. NO codes, but def less mpg and doesnt feel like its performing as quick as it should be.
I replaced my DV with a go fast bits model but nothing improved. If you found out something helpful, im all ears too, sos im subscribing to this post.

Less mpg could be the colder weather.

Performance shouldn't reduce though.

well i pulled the dv off today and it looked fine to me as it was the plastic one so back to the drawing borad as they say

I have noticed a drop in my mpg from my usual 43-45 mpg to around 37 mpg. This is over an 86 mile motorway/fast A-road commute. I have put it down to the colder Winter weather, heaters, headlights etc. However, my car is due an oil change soon so this might also contribute to worse fuel economy.

43-45mpg?!

I hope to see this one day - only done 1600 miles so far.

I had my worst motorway run so far in mine yesterday, I had even put in Tesco momentum beforehand (usually just fill it up with Asda unleaded) to see if it made any difference.

30.7 mpg over 190 miles, 64 mph average. It took a LONG time to even reach 30, I usually get 33+ on a motorway journey ... it was wet out but don't see why this would make much difference
/shrug

@Svenedin - stop bragging ;)

my experience, as per original poster, doesnt relate at all to weather or temps.
Its just something i felt under my foot in various temps and its consistent whether in hot summer or cold winter in that some days it feels very held back.
Like an extra restriction is holding on too much. Sometimes during a journey, ive felt this mysterious restriction lift like someone removed 200kgs from the boot and off it shoots like a rocket.
Again, no codes, nothing logical to explain its behaviour. But that aside, im planning a switch to an S4 in a couple of months, so if i dont track my issue down, ill sell it and forget it.

I had my worst motorway run so far in mine yesterday, I had even put in Tesco momentum beforehand (usually just fill it up with Asda unleaded) to see if it made any difference.

30.7 mpg over 190 miles, 64 mph average. It took a LONG time to even reach 30, I usually get 33+ on a motorway journey ... it was wet out but don't see why this would make much difference
/shrug

@Svenedin - stop bragging ;)

It’s not bragging. It shows what an incredibly boring driver I am! Mind you, I’m hardly in a great hurry to get to work.....”hypermiling” (trying to achieve the highest mpg possible) is one way I pass the tedium of long drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenL
43-45mpg?!

I hope to see this one day - only done 1600 miles so far.

Mine’s done 11,500 miles now. It’s only possible to get fuel economy like that by having a very light right foot. I don’t use the Economy mode because it seems to make minimal difference to my personal fuel economy and I don’t like the coasting. Auto mode seems to work best for me and is still reasonably fun to drive. Dynamic S for serious fun and to hell with fuel economy!

Reactions: BarryG79
I am getting about 33mpg over a 26 mile journey on a motorway but it feels a lot better since i have took the dv out and cleaned it even feels quicker so i am thinking it could of been stuck open

any of you guys checked to see if a coil pack has broken? might explain the problem if one has

Would it be an idea to get the car/your cars dynoed? Just to prove a possible lack in power and rule out any placebo.

Would it be an idea to get the car/your cars dynoed? Just to prove a possible lack in power and rule out any placebo.
Not yet that’s my next option but I have had high powered cars all my life so it could just be me but my last car was a M135i and it felt quick all the time.

Reactions: Russell Bell
Not yet that’s my next option but I have had high powered cars all my life so it could just be me but my last car was a M135i and it felt quick all the time.
I feel for you mate. So for hijacking your thread. I hope you find a solution and pass it down the line.

Something of an update for me, not sure how relevant or helpful this will be but im selling mine on an approved used deal with Audi to grab an S4.
So been putting it back to standard which hasnt taken long.
Noticed that when i removed the big forge motorsport carbon kit and put the OEM one back on, its been absolutely lovely for 2 days.
Perfect consistent power, linear and predictable.
NOTHING like it has been since it went on many months ago.

So for me, it was the car saying, look ill drive with it, but ideally i dont like it.
No idea why, it works well for others, but mine just said to me it wants to run on the OEM. I have a stage 1 tune and had other mods which id removed over time anyway. So just my 2 pence.

Reactions: s5joe and gringosteve
Something of an update for me, not sure how relevant or helpful this will be but im selling mine on an approved used deal with Audi to grab an S4.
So been putting it back to standard which hasnt taken long.
Noticed that when i removed the big forge motorsport carbon kit and put the OEM one back on, its been absolutely lovely for 2 days.
Perfect consistent power, linear and predictable.
NOTHING like it has been since it went on many months ago.

So for me, it was the car saying, look ill drive with it, but ideally i dont like it.
No idea why, it works well for others, but mine just said to me it wants to run on the OEM. I have a stage 1 tune and had other mods which id removed over time anyway. So just my 2 pence.
Thats good to know as i was thinking of getting one them too

Reactions: Russell Bell