KW variant 3's ordered....

block

Reaction score
Well i decided to bite the bullet and order some KW variant 3 coilovers today as i found them for a good price on larkspeed and have found alot of very positive reviews of them around the net. i have had KW variant 2's on my tt in the past and was very impressed with them them.

I was wondering if anyone on here had them fitted and what sort of rebound and compression settings they were running as a start point for me?

cheers

block.

p.s. anybody interested in a set of s3 h&r lowering springs with only 6 months use?

PM sent mate.

Not heard of anyone getting KWs on this forum to be honest.

As far as I know there are a few members on here with V3's!

Great coilover from what I have heard. Several mates have V1's and love them!

The settings will be dependant on your needs - best change them through trial and error. Change the settings and go a drive, if you like it, keep it as is or change it. Up to you at the end of the day as you are the one driving!

I have been running V3's for about 3 months and love them. They work much better with the H&R ARB's (anti roll bars) fitted too.

As for the settings. I dropped the car 25mm on them, a good hight in my eyes. I had all the settings as standard when they were fitted but i have how had the stiffened up in terms of damper and rebound. Not sure the exact settings, AmD did it! But I feel i would like them even firmer, not sure all my passengers would agree though!

As said, its all personal taste. You will know when it "feels" right! The nice thing about the V3's is that you can adjust them, you can really customise the feel of the car!

I have been running V3's for about 3 months and love them. They work much better with the H&R ARB's (anti roll bars) fitted too.

As for the settings. I dropped the car 25mm on them, a good hight in my eyes. I had all the settings as standard when they were fitted but i have how had the stiffened up in terms of damper and rebound. Not sure the exact settings, AmD did it! But I feel i would like them even firmer, not sure all my passengers would agree though!

As said, its all personal taste. You will know when it "feels" right! The nice thing about the V3's is that you can adjust them, you can really customise the feel of the car!

It looks like i'll start with kw's advised half settings for the dampers then and see what happens.

At 25mm drop is there room to make the car heigher as im finding the rear of my car with h&r springs a bit low with 4 people in, or is 25mm the least you can lower it on that kit?

block.:thumbsup:

Well after being told that my kw v3's would take 10-14 days to arrive from germany on tuesday they arrived today, so with a bit of luck i'll have them fitted on saturday and put a bit of a review up.

cheers

block.

Well after my kw's arrived nice and early i got round to fitting them on saturday, both ends were relatively easy to do but i had earlier done the h&r springs so knew what to expect. all the kit is extremely high quality and the finish of the stainless shock bodies is a bit too nice to fit under your car really.
as far as set up goes i set the rear springs as high as they would go which ended up about 5mm higher than the h&r springs, i travel with 4 adults in the car quite often so this was needed for me. the fronts were set up to match the rears so all wheel centre to arch measurements around the car were 13'' approx.
The damping was initailly set up how kw recomends in the manual but i found the rear a bit soft in rebound and so re-adjusted to 50% on all settings. this now seems very good on the roads around my area which are pretty bad as they are not so much broken up but are very roughly laid so some travel is desireable.
the h&r springs were an improvement over the stock set up especially on good a roads and motorways but on the bumpy roads where i spend most of my time i found the stock dampers struggling to cope and the car doing plenty of bobing about, what a difference the kw's have made! the car is now far more composed over crests and bumps and all while being more comfortable than the h&r springs. i can honestly say they are worth every penny and id much rather spend a grand here than on wheels or an exhaust, after a remap this is where people should be spending there cash on an s3.
once the car has settled over a couple of hundred miles i'll be getting it 4 wheel aligined which is on thursday and im hoping the handling will be even more polished then. im asking for....

front toe 0
front camber -1.5
rear toe 0
rear camber -0.5

which will hopefully give a good set up for day to day use and not be too fidgety but erradicate some of audis understeer set up.

i'll post my thoughts when its done.

block.

I'm very close to KW3's on my RS4 as soon as I sort the power issues out, I hear nothing but good things about them