KW V3 Coilovers : are they worth it ?

Reaction score
Does anyone have KW V3 Coilovers fitted to their S1 ? Just wanted to know what the ride and road feel are like ? I’m not tracking the car but would like a lower stance and better cornering feel. Are they significantly better than H&R lowering springs as they are now 3+ times the price. Many thanks for your help.

Never heard a bad thing about KW coilovers ever. Lots like them on the S1 and will be my go to if I get fed up of springs only (or the H&R kill the shocks :D)

You will need the delete kit for the electronics too which adds about £250 to the cost.

Never heard a bad thing about KW coilovers ever. Lots like them on the S1 and will be my go to if I get fed up of springs only (or the H&R kill the shocks :D)

You will need the delete kit for the electronics too which adds about £250 to the cost.
Hi, Great - do you know where you get the electronic delete kit from as I’ve never read or seen anything about this?
I’m assuming this deletes the suspension setting when going from
Efficiency-Auto-Dynamic? Does it throw some sort of error light up on the dash then?
Many thanks

Hi, Great - do you know where you get the electronic delete kit from as I’ve never read or seen anything about this?
I’m assuming this deletes the suspension setting when going from
Efficiency-Auto-Dynamic? Does it throw some sort of error light up on the dash then?
Many thanks
Any supplier of the KW kit should be able to source it for you, it's a KW item.

Yes, the suspension control is based into the cars control modules, each shock has a cable which require one of the items from the delete kit to be plugged in. Without you get a dash message and light so the car will fail its MOT.

You don't lose the profile selection as that controls other things as well as the suspension setting. The delete kit just fools the control module into believing the shocks are still connected.

Is there a reason you're going for the V3? From what you've said I'd say the V1 will get you a lower stance and better cornering feel for a lot less.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Is there a reason you're going for the V3? From what you've said I'd say the V1 will get you a lower stance and better cornering feel for a lot less.

Damian @ DPM Performance
KW only produce the V3 in street or clubsport for the S1

Any supplier of the KW kit should be able to source it for you, it's a KW item.

Yes, the suspension control is based into the cars control modules, each shock has a cable which require one of the items from the delete kit to be plugged in. Without you get a dash message and light so the car will fail its MOT.

You don't lose the profile selection as that controls other things as well as the suspension setting. The delete kit just fools the control module into believing the shocks are still connected.
Many thanks for your info. - a great help

Damian @ DPM Performance
Hi - funny I was after the V1’s but couldn’t find them anywhere.

Sorry I just saw A1 Forum, not S1. For what you're wanting I think the KW V3 is a little over kill. Are you currently running H&R springs or just the standard suspension?

Damian @ DPM Performance

Sorry I just saw A1 Forum, not S1. For what you're wanting I think the KW V3 is a little over kill. Are you currently running H&R springs or just the standard suspension?

Damian @ DPM Performance
I’m just running the standard suspension, but wanted to improve the stance and drive. I know H&R springs are ok, but I’ve driven other makes of cars (BMW) with KW V3’s so know they’re really good. I would have gone for a set, but the prices of these have rocketed for the S1. They’re around £2k which is mad!
Maybe I should just go for the springs and see what they’re like

V3’s definitely sound like overkill if what you’re looking for is a better stance and cornering. But if you’ve got the money to spend go for it, you won’t be disappointed.

I have V1’s on my B5 and I’m really happy with them, but I see above they don’t make a set for the S1. Before buying these I considered a few different sets around the same price bracket - assuming them make sets for the S1, why not have a look at BC, H&R or Eibach coilovers. All have pretty good reps.

V3’s definitely sound like overkill if what you’re looking for is a better stance and cornering. But if you’ve got the money to spend go for it, you won’t be disappointed.

I have V1’s on my B5 and I’m really happy with them, but I see above they don’t make a set for the S1. Before buying these I considered a few different sets around the same price bracket - assuming them make sets for the S1, why not have a look at BC, H&R or Eibach coilovers. All have pretty good reps.
Hi, Many thanks for the suggestions. It’s funny as the S1 isn’t that well catered for.
I’ll have a look about and do a bit more research. Just seen a new set of KW V3’s for £1695, although most retailers are usually £2000-£2200, so am a bit suspicious.

Looks like neither BC or Eibach make Coilovers for the S1 - H&R do, but reviews a bit so so.

Looks like neither BC or Eibach make Coilovers for the S1 - H&R do, but reviews a bit so so.
BC do, there's a few running them in the S1 group on facebook. They do an "extreme" kit for super lows with shorter shock bodies too.

Bear in mind if you do go proper low you'll throw rear CV joints for fun!

BC do, there's a few running them in the S1 group on facebook. They do an "extreme" kit for super lows with shorter shock bodies too.

Bear in mind if you do go proper low you'll throw rear CV joints for fun!
Hi many thanks. I don’t want to go mega low, so won’t bother with that BC ‘extreme’ kit. Think it’s looking like just H&R springs. It’s VRS Performance in Nottingham that have the KW V3’s up for £1695 inc. vat for the S1. Everywhere else is £2100-£2200.

Hi many thanks. I don’t want to go mega low, so won’t bother with that BC ‘extreme’ kit. Think it’s looking like just H&R springs. It’s VRS Performance in Nottingham that have the KW V3’s up for £1695 inc. vat for the S1. Everywhere else is £2100-£2200.
Seems cheap, must be wanting rid if it's a stock item. Are the other places including the delete kit for the electronics maybe?

I'm going to run H&Rs for the foreseeable, no real desire to spend 2 grand tbh would rather swap the seats for some nice buckets or whatever :)

Seems cheap, must be wanting rid if it's a stock item. Are the other places including the delete kit for the electronics maybe?

I'm going to run H&Rs for the foreseeable, no real desire to spend 2 grand tbh would rather swap the seats for some nice buckets or whatever :)
Hi, Yes you may be right, that’s a good point. Although none of the online spill says about the “delete kit”. Think it’ll be the H&R springs tbh. £2k for a coilover kit is too much. I’d like to do a few other mods for a Stage 2 remap, so will need the £££ for the new clutch etc.
Many thanks for your help
It’s much appreciated.

Hi, Yes you may be right, that’s a good point. Although none of the online spill says about the “delete kit”. Think it’ll be the H&R springs tbh. £2k for a coilover kit is too much. I’d like to do a few other mods for a Stage 2 remap, so will need the £££ for the new clutch etc.
Many thanks for your help
It’s much appreciated.
No worries, happy to help if I feel able. If there's no mention then the delete kit is probably separate. Still, understand why you're wary, big difference in price over others.

None of your other (planned) mods are cheap and arguably achieve more of what you're after by the sounds of it. You can always do the KW later :D

No worries, happy to help if I feel able. If there's no mention then the delete kit is probably separate. Still, understand why you're wary, big difference in price over others.

None of your other (planned) mods are cheap and arguably achieve more of what you're after by the sounds of it. You can always do the KW later :D
Many thanks for your help. I’m new to the S1 so have lots to get my head around. Also this is the first turbo charged car that I’ve owned too. I’m normally an N/A chap.
I’m looking at an Eventuri intake, Milltek down pipe with sports cat and exhaust & a pro alloy intercooler plus a Stage 2 remap with either R-Tech or MCR : what do you think of this combination ?
Would value your opinion

Many thanks for your help. I’m new to the S1 so have lots to get my head around. Also this is the first turbo charged car that I’ve owned too. I’m normally an N/A chap.
I’m looking at an Eventuri intake, Milltek down pipe with sports cat and exhaust & a pro alloy intercooler plus a Stage 2 remap with either R-Tech or MCR : what do you think of this combination ?
Would value your opinion
I think that's a solid choice tbh, though with a few exceptions everything is very similar in terms of performance. Revo's intake is good as an alternative to Eventuri (also good) and has the enlarged elbow included. No experience with either mapper but heard good things about MCR. I'm planning on having Revo on mine next year but not going further than stage 1. There's plenty of other tuners who do good things on the S1 - they'll probably all be very similar as long as you're staying away from the 100 quid driveway chinese file mapper :D