Koni Sport shocks installed to my S3.

Rabbit222

Reaction score
Website
www.vwclub.co.za
Its been almost a year since fitting my H&R coil springs. Initially the ride was fine but recently I have found that the stock shocks have been battling to cope. Bottoming out as well as exceedingly hard rides eventually led me to take the plunge. I was advised by my local Koni dealer to install Koni Sport shocks. These are dampening adjustable and have been set at its softest for the time being. After taking my car for a nice long drive earlier, I am pleased to say that these were worth the investment. My ride has improved tremendously over stock. Our club will be hosting a gymkana event sometime soon, I'll try firming the shocks up for this event to see how they respond to harsher conditions :)

Any lower with these installed??

Any higher with these installed? the back end is a few mil too low for my taste with my H&R's on.

p

Can you elaborate on the adjustable damping bit?
Is it compression/rebound only, or seperate high/low speed adjustment for both?
How is it adjustable too, screws at either end of the shock?

Fronts are 87101431 Sport
Rears are 802859 Sport

This is listed as

A3 1.6, 1.6 FSI incl. Sportback, excl. Quattro
Front: for original struts Ř 55 mm only, front axle load up to 1020 kg05.03-08Sport
knob.gif
8710-1431Sport80-2859Sport A3 1.9/2.0 TDi,2.0(T)Fsi + Sportback,excl. Quattro
Front: for original struts Ř 55 mm only, front axle load as from 1020 kg05.03-08Sport
knob.gif
8710-1431Sport80-2859Sport A3 + Sportback Quattro excl. S-Line susp. & 3.2 V6

The KONI sport shock is adjustable only on the rebound and it is simply tuned at the top of the shock with a small plastic wheel which you turn clockwise or anti clockwise to stiffen or soften the ride, The bump characteristics are changed already by the fitment of A H&R sport spring which has a firmer rate than the standard spring . The balance is perfect and set almost on full soft will give a very pleasant ride for a lowered car.
The back is alittle more tricky as the shock has to be removed to tune it.
Serviceable shocks should last forever if not abused by accidents. The rebound when set on hard will slow down the nose lift under launch and hard acceleration conditions , this will instantly improve grip as the weight is kept in the right place , Particularly advantageous in 2 wd cars .No more of this :redrs4:he he

FSD's are king, lmao, love them on my car with eibach pro's, no need for coily's

+1 for springs & dampers

Coilies are great if you rip them off and service them every year, then have them set up using corner weighting technology specifically for track use etc... Otherwise they are overkill for pure road use. Also if they aren't inox stainless people have issues with seizing components.

As I want hassle free give me adjustable springs / dampers any day.

Also if they aren't inox stainless people have issues with seizing components

Mine are. So +1 for coilovers, as it gives me adjustable height and dampening to get my car set up perfect height/hardness/softness for road.

Not overkill imo for road use. Depends how you drive :)

your coilies are coming? :applaus:
i hope i still have dibs on your setup